Orphaned Baby Bunny

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Orphaned Baby Bunny

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Our pets found it during my (still ongoing) search for Arcturis. There weren't any nests nearby at all (which is unusual for where we live) and we have no idea where it came from.

So, until we can find a bunny shelter or something, we're taking care of it. So anything you guys know about baby bunnies and stuff would be great.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Orphaned Baby Bunny

Unread post by Lupis »

Look for a wildlife rehabilitation center right away - until then, don't handle it too much. Diseases spread to them really fast. I'm not sure about feeding, but when we have to keep a baby bunny (until we take it to a center), we put it in a shoebox lined with a couple of towels.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

We actually went and looked up a local center's webpage. It says not to take bunnies (there are so many that get orphaned around here that it'd be too much to handle) but to feed it until it can eat they hay in its cage. Then it's weaned and can be set free!

It's weird, because there were literally no nests around. We think something may have picked it up and dropped it on accident.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Krysannis
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Mok'Nathal
Location: Austin. The greatest city in the world.... well, at least in Texas

Unread post by Krysannis »

When I was younger my dad stumbled upon 3 orphaned bunnies. We left them alone for about 12 hours waiting to see if the mom would come back. We figured she had been hit by a car because although we lived out in the boonies there was a major highway that was right by where we found the babies. So we bottle fed them (the vet told us how and what milk to use) and kept them in our spare bedroom until they were old enough to be set free. One of them died because it was too hard on it to go though that, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. It's a lot of work but it makes it all worth it when you see the little guy hop away to freedom. Don't be upset if it doesn't make it, stress is hard on those little guys.
Siggy made by the wonderful lilatha