Janie the Korat cat (IMG Heavy) - Happy Birthday!

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Janie the Korat cat (IMG Heavy) - Happy Birthday!

Unread post by Chimera »

Janie is a rescue cat, she was surrendered when she was a baby to an adoption agency called TLC and back in mid January, after my cat Lucky passed away, I adopted Janie to fill the void.

She is known as a Korat, she has the same dark gold eyes those two sister cats have in the wiki picture along with that tiny tuft of white fur both of them have and dark grey markings. She's a crossbreed however, but the other breed(s) are unknown. She is also polydactyl as i learned today from examining her paws (her front paws just didnt seem right to me and it was throwing me through a loop).

Normally a cat has its thumbs looking like this but her thumb is opposable and sits like this. She has this abnormality in all 4 paws. Cats by nature have 18 toes total, 10 in the front and 8 in the back but she has 20 toes, having 5 on each foot. Because this mutation is found in breeds that werent originally from Asia (the mutation was prominent in England and Eastern America) she may be a descendant of Korats who were brought into England under the name of Blue Siamese or possibly (and most probably) a descendant of ones that were introduced in the America's in the 1950's which would of most certainly cross bred at some point during her generations with cats that might of had the mutation as it is common nowadays in the United States, Canada, England, and Wales.

Heres my baby girl <3
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Chimera on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Peeking around for a cat

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Well hopefully you can find one!. Useally I'd say get a adult cat from the SPCA but seems theres none near you sadly but a kitty is fine too!.

I only say that as most people go for kittens first cos there "cute" etc but old cats gotta get love too :lol: Maybe that's just becouse I have never had a kitten (Sylvester was atleast 2 or nearly 2 when we got him balls n all)

Edit: Mum corrected me he was around a few months past 1 years old. Hey I was only 3 when we got him give me a break!
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Neither of us want to go through the process of losing an animal so soon, if it was more a 'we cant keep him' problem then i wouldnt turn down the idea of an adult to adopt at the first chance i had to be able to accept a cat into the house but because we had to put Lucky down it really changes what we are looking for. We also want the cat to be trained, i have a starter to a guide for cat and dog training (separate papers, it used to be part of my schools curriculum till it was changed to an option rather a demand due to not everyone being able to be with or own cats/dogs) and being able to train a cat to do something would give me bonus points in school and also create an entertaining game for the cat and myself and make for a greater bonding experience.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Was just saying that's all. Alot of adult cats don't get adopted for that reason that's all. You can train adult cats too it's not like they are un trainable of course it would not be as easy :lol: cats don't like being told what to do am I right? :lol:

But get what ya want ya'know heh was just saying something not telling you XD
Chimera

Re: Janie the Korat cat (Not very IMG heavy atm)

Unread post by Chimera »

Ive found yesterday that adult cats are just way too set in their ways for my likes :/ We ended up adopting the first cat i checked out and shes a bundle of hyperactive love <3

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Re: Janie the Korat cat (Not very IMG heavy atm)

Xakaal wrote:Ive found yesterday that adult cats are just way too set in their ways for my likes :/ We ended up adopting the first cat i checked out and shes a bundle of hyperactive love <3
Well thats good!.

That's just my personal opinion about older cats. You don't need to train them etc XD I guess that would be a pain for someone who has a indoor cat and needs to do all that kitty litter stuff but no one has indoor cats here at all (seriously I have never ever seen or heard of anyone with one here XD there proberly is but they are the minorty) and so most cats go poop outside. Haha free plant food XD
Chimera

Re: Janie the Korat cat (IMG Heavy)

Unread post by Chimera »

More pictures! Her personality has really flourished, ive noticed she has green lining her pupils and then the dark gold for the rest of the eye, apparently her breed is born with blue eyes, then they turn gold, then they turn green in adulthood. Her breeds incredibly intelligent and makes extremely strong bonds with those that they feel are trustworthy and who gives them lots of attention and care. Shes not very shy anymore either, she snuggles up to me at night and she welcomed my bf earlier today when he came over, hes staying for the weekend and she was in his lap sleeping within a few hours, before then they were playing together XD

Shes a bundle of love and while shes getting into the habit of clawing the couch i read that being firm and not letting them get away in the slightest with bad behaivor (saying no loud and firmly, snapping fingers, clapping loudly, squirts of water are what was suggested) so we're gonna do that everytime she tries to and she should learn pretty quick. She does after all have a scratching post thats the same model as the one in her adoption room.

She purrs coooonstantly when shes in my lap or i start petting her and for the last couple hours shes been stretched wide out across my lap sleeping. Its really adorable, she doesnt curl up but rather just sticks per paws out and snoozes. She wakes up every so often, stretches some more, yawns, and falls back asleep XD

Edit: I managed to sneak in a picture showing her mutation, its really cute, she looks like shes wearing mittens. I realized she actually -would- have had 22 toes instead of 20 if the mutation continued further during her development if she stayed longer in her moms womb. She has 2 toe pads on the 5th digit on both her front paws (in polydactls the thumb is further down on the paw and extra digits grow from that digit, she has 2 toe pads and a slight bump indicating that there was a 6th one growing but it stopped, probably due to being born and so its sort of like a stump but its not noticeable unless you are handling her paws).

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

She is stunning! I think you made the right choice, looking at the pictures and reading about her. The paws makes her even cuter. :)
So her being a female isn't an issue any longer?

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

I myself wanted a female cat but stepdad didnt want to have to pay the kind of money that it costs to spay which can run up to $200 unlike neutering which is a much simpler process that can be done as low as $30 but we exausted all our resources and she was the most friendliest out of all of them who also as a bonus had all her shots, was de-wormed, de-flea'd, and came with a free vet check which we're going to use today (we only have 3 days after adoption to get the free check up), ive noticed she has patches on her, two little ones on one ear, one that, probably from scratching, has become a tender-to-touch injury, and one on her left paw (you can see it in the pic i took of her paw) that looks like she has some sort of skin condition, they resemble scabs but they dont appear to be injuries but more like some sort of skin irritation like a friend of mine had which she cured with a medicated lotion (i forget the name of the condition she had).

Irregardless of gender she is amazing and while im still having a hard time, usually in the mornings and nights when i think about Lucky and i always say good morning and tell him i hope he has a good day and whatnot and at night say goodnight and that i hope he sleeps well and sweet dreams and such (pretty much just me talking to my bedroom window, it helps me feel like hes still here regardless of if he really is or isnt), and im really thankful for her companionship. She sleeps with me at night, she purrs all the time, she lies on my lap when im on the computer when shes tired from all the playing we've done (i love tossing her rainbow fuzzy ball around, she loves that thing to death) and falls asleep (those are just a few of many positions she makes when shes sleeping on my lap in those pictures XD).

As for the spaying, i contacted our vet and its $120 and i dont know if thats for laser surgury or the base price but i found another one that is a base of $50 and any extra costs depend on different factors like if we want laser surgury (which we do, its a carbon laser which does the job while reducing infection, bleeding, less painful, faster recovery) or if shes say, pregnant (which shes not thats for sure, the other 2 cats she was with were females and shes too young for her first heat). Im gonna look around at other clinics and see their prices and make sure laser treatments an option.

Right now as im typing shes underneath my computer chair playing with her favorite rainbow ball thats been sitting in a bag of catnip for probably 3 years now XD i need to get fresh catnip, im not gonna give her the old stuff but i did give her the toy that was inside it

meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

She's adorable :3 She also looks a lot like my cat.

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

yea i found out a lot about them from wikipedia and a site that mentioned hemingway and had pics of some cats that live there, didnt know there was an actual site, im definitely gonna check it out, ive always dreamed of having a polydactl, first time i saw the picture of one i was instantly in love with their paws XD

edit: awe too bad it looks like they only have that one page on the cats, but its still cool to see XD

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

It's great to hear that spaying will work out, and I hope the skin thing is nothing serious. :)

Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Unread post by Samskeyti »

Aww what a sweet little thing!
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Thank ya guys <3 we just got back from the vet, a hefty $178 bill, we had tests done for ear mites,which came out positive, its a bad infestation so she had her ears flushed and cleaned and we have medication for them now. Vet was concerned she may have Leukimia but she thankfully tested negative, and the respitory infection is actually a herpies virus. He said that the medication we have is alright but not the best but he said that if we dont see major improvement in a week to call him and have better medication arranged for her.

We contacted the owner who bought the Clavamox about the issue and while she cant pay the full amount, she can pay half so we'll be getting $89 back. Its not great but its better then nothing and Janie has everything she needs to kick these problems we didnt know about when we adopted her (quite the surprise really, stepdad was so furious he threatened legally that he'd put it in The Province which is a newspaper that goes through the entire lower mainland which includes Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, Walnut Grove, Cloverdale, Mission. We were assured that they had no illness and then the one problem appeared and then we discovered its a different type of illness and then we discovered she has a bad infestation and yea.. really pissy day at the vet and Petcetra)

Edit: I left my chair for 2 minutes, if that, and this is what i see XD

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

I love her dark spots. She looks so shiny <3

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Derpy Janie is derpy :lol:

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

*bops cute kittens nose and cuddles* :hug:

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

XD she was licking my ankle earlier, she gave up trying to pin it down a few min ago lol, instead tho shes licking a spot on my jeans and its getting wet with slobber. dunno whats so interesting about my legs but shes loving them!

As i mentioned in the rant thread shes been having trouble with sneezing and trouble breathing cause of that, she stopped eating today cause she barfed up her food from her stomach being in so many knots. We went out to look for the medicine the vet from the clinic we were taking her to suggested and we talked to two different vets and two different pharmacists (all different locations within our area) and they couldnt make heads or tails what Tris-EDTA is, one vet googled it but couldnt find any descriptions for it indicating that its for use in organisms. I googled it and i couldnt find any information referring to use on humans or animals.

The vets said that they use saline solutions that humans use for the animals in lower doses so we went to the drug store and a pharmacist gave us a non-commercial brand that is quite literally the exact same as the commercial brand stuff but because the company isnt one of those huge 'super giants' it was 3 times less which we're thankful for. We also bought an inexpensive humidifier which is on right now and holy man does it work wonders, its been on for half an hour and the rooms starting to get nice and humid, and warm. So thats a huge relief.

We're taking Janie to our vet, they're getting all her records from the other vet faxed to them so they know whats going on and we're gonna make her a regular customer over there with a vet we know and trust rather then one who gave us names to medicines that vets and pharmacists have never heard before. Like seriously? We couldnt even google proper information on it, and he told us that we could get it at a pharmacy and that its made for clearing up congestion.

I swear, that guy has 20 years experience on him and he cant do jack all for a friggin cat cold. He can treat ear mites, but he cant treat a damned cat cold.

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

I'm glad you found a better vet at least. :( And I really hope she will get well soon. Glad to hear the humidifier is working nicely. The medicine the other one suggested could be anything.. Sounds fishy to me. And not the good kind of fish either.