Chickens! (New chicks!)

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Chickens! (New chicks!)

Unread post by Lupis »

Last night I noticed one of the eggs had a hole in it, and when I got home from school I found a chick in the incubator. Chick number four has hatched! She's very feisty for such a young thing, and did not put up with getting picked on.

I also got some pictures of the other chicks, who have fluffed up considerably and now look like proper little chicks.

Godzilla is a funny beast. She (we just always hope they're female) is all white except for a few black spots around her eyes and wings, and she has the black skin and extra toes of a silkie. We're excited to see how she grows.

Alice, the sussex cross.

Cornflower, the easter egger cross.

All the chicks!

After checking on the chicks, I went out to see if Quoth was having any luck with her eggs. The Cream Legbars are supposed to hatch in a few days, but there was a spare bantam egg under her and I wasn't sure when it'd be hatching. Turns out, soon- there's a hole in the egg, and it's peeping. I also got to see a very amusing sight; every hen that wasn't brooding was in one giant pile, taking a group sun/dust bath.

Chicken zen.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Your chickens are always so cute!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

It's the week of chicks, it seems. Went out to see Quoth before school and I lifted her up to find a teeny black silkie chick, who is sickeningly cute. After school I went to see her again, and when I lifted her up, there were three tiny cream legbar chicks as well! Two are definitely female, which is good news for us, as our grown legbar (Joan Jett) refuses to lay. We think we got ahold of one of the very, very rare hens that never lays.

Pictures will come at some point soon!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I can't wait to see them :3 they sound so cute!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Re: Chickens! (Chick problems)

Unread post by Lupis »

Oof, chick problems galore today. The Frida Kahlos hatched two of their eggs, and immediately started brutalizing the chicks, pecking to hurt every time the chicks weren't hidden. We stuck the chicks under Emeris, who is broody, but only after they both got bloody cheeks. Both of them are currently blind because their eyelids swelled shut. I can't blame Frida Kahlo, though; if they weren't born with a mothering instinct, then they're just following chicken logic: peck what moves. Still, wasn't fun to see the chicks bleeding. They also had three more hatching eggs, all of which we put under Emeris. All of them hatched.

One of the pecked chicks is doing fine, though she's still blind at the moment and doesn't move from under Emeris, so we'll have to make sure to have her drink and eat at some point. The other one, like a little idiot, decided it wanted to be a Big Chick and go play with Quoth's chicks. Queue her getting beaten up by some other hen (I wasn't there to see, or else I'd have stopped it) and left bloody in the dirt. She's alive and active enough for me to think that she has a good chance, but it's not a pretty picture. I moved her inside and put her in her own private enclosure, so hopefully she'll heal up and be okay.

This is just following on the heals of another chick issue, which follows yet another. Earlier today I heard peeping and absolutely couldn't figure it out... until I followed the sound to one of our bathrooms and found a forgotten egg there, peeping loudly as it tried to hatch in the cold. Luckily, putting it in the incubator saved it, and it hatched.

Earlier this week another egg tried to hatch but was having trouble, so my mom took a chance and helped it hatch. We soon discovered that there was a reason it wasn't hatching. It had some sort of inner ear deformity, meaning that it couldn't stand up straight for more than a few seconds and kept falling over backwards. It got to the point where it couldn't even stand, and we had to put it down (very humanely, mind you).

I am discovering why people tell you not to get attached to young chicks! So many problems!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Man chicken life sounds rough XD
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Chickens can be mean creatures. If they were the size of emus they'd be deadly :P

Yours are gorgeous, though, and look like they're very happy :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I just love your chickens! And what I love even more is seeing how well you and your family care for them. Too often I hear of chickens that aren't taken care of and are unhealthy, but yours are all beautiful and look happy.

I can't wait to see more pics of your chicks! Hah, I rhymed! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Wow, been a while since I got around to updating this. So, we didn't end up with just three or four chicks. We ended up with 30. It was for a big mess of reasons, like hatching heritage (shiny rare breed) eggs and buying day-olds to keep a lonely chick company. They're all growing up well and they're very pretty. We're going to sell most of them, and definitely all the mix breed roosters.

Godzilla, one of the hens (hopefully) that we really want to keep. She's silkie/polish and has neat two-color eyes, one brown and one black. Paired with her fuzzy feet and black flecks, we're all hoping she ends up a she. (We can't tell based on her comb at the moment.)

A gorgeous rooster that we're dreading to sell. He's just wonderful; pure black that shines blue, purple and green in the sunlight, with fluffy feet, a big head crest, and a little beard. Plus, he has the most gorgeous golden lacing on some of his neck, wing and rump feathers; it looks like gold leaf. He also has a very clear, almost eery crow, every part perfect and almost human sounding.

Another beautiful rooster that we wish we could keep. He has the prettiest back, fading from rich red to a fiery yellow. He looks like a phoenix. Plus he has the most glorious tail.

Twin Cream Legbar crosses, who found me very interesting as I was taking pictures. They also crowded around my feet. The one with fluffy cheeks is what we're calling an Easter Legger (Easter Egger/Cream Legbar cross) and we're keeping her.

Malone! Our first grey chicken, a very well bred Blue Maran. She was bought from a local breeder along with her brother (slightly less perfect, as he's missing feathery feet) and an adopted sister, who I'll get to next. Malone is growing up perfectly and will hopefully make for a gorgeous blue hen.

And this is Roxy, Malone's sister. You'll notice that Roxy looks a little funny. Poor girl had a rough start; we got her along with her two Maran siblings to keep one of our hens' lonely chick company, but the hen rejected her instantly and chased her away. We ended up raising her and Malone (who she's now inseparable from) alone, and just as soon as they started growing and settling in, we started to notice that Roxy's beak was starting to point a little bit the wrong way. It got rapidly worse until it is as it is now, where it seems to have stopped worsening... If only because I think her skull would break if it got any worse. We discovered that she has a very nasty case of Crossbeak, and further reading lead us to learn that many chicks with this problem end up starving to death, because they can't really peck to pick up their food. And, fittingly, Roxy was starving. She couldn't eat her food anymore, drinking was hard, and she was clearly not growing as quickly as she should have been. We were about to sell her as a Special Needs chicken when we started feeding her wet food.

Something clicked. That night when I picked her up, her crop was bulging with food. We started just wetting down all the food and she continued eating like crazy every day, spending more time at the waterer and feeder than other chickens but still making do. She can't preen and she can't eat from the ground like a normal chicken, but she's embraced her beak with aggressive passion, apparently; when I went out to feed them breakfast, she was waiting by the gate and running back and forth, and when I put down their food, she got right in the middle of it and starting throwing food down her throat with great gusto. Not even Batman, who eats like no tomorrow, eats like Roxy does. She doesn't even bother shying away from the grown hens like other chicks, she stands right in the middle of them and eats their food, totally focused and enjoying it.

We have great hopes for this bird.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm glad she's doing ok! Scissor beak isn't an uncommon abnormality in chickens, but they're usually culled early because, as you say, they otherwise usually starve to death slowly. If she can continue to eat then well and good. :) Your chickens are obviously in very good hands :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Wow its so entertaining to hear about your chickens. :) I grew up raising various birds, many of which being California Quail. (had to stop when we got new neighbors though. they wont fix or feed their cats so we constantly had starving juvenile cats sneaking into our yard and killing everything. :( ) But my whole family learned just how much fun it is to watch those little chicks wander around. always entertaining. :)
we had one free roaming mated pair that insisted on being let inside every night- they always tried to roost on our ceiling fan.
I'm glad Roxy is doing well. I swear the handicapped ones always have the most endearing personality and I hope she continues to live a good life.
how many chickens do you have now?

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

At the moment, we have around 50 chickens. But at least 20 of them will be sold in the next month or so! And aw, that's terrible about your quail. I'd be traumatized if lost all our birds. Especially to an awful careless neighbor. x.x

In other news, it's really entertaining to watch little roosters grow up. They're learning to crow right now, which means that we hear Mort and Elliot crow their more-or-less-right cock-a-doodle-doos, and then we hear this horrible cacophony of "CR-AWWWWWRRKKKK" sounds as the little ones try to imitate them. They're also getting very feisty and only a few minutes go by before the little ones are flaring their necks at each other and having mini spars. They never hurt each other at all, so it's just pretty fun. Some of them are also very curious little things, so when I was trying to take pictures, they were coming up close and sticking their faces in the lens.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

So uh when the little cocks (haha I know I'm a child XD) get to be full adults would those mini spars turn into big ones or would they be fine living in a group?

Also random note how much do ya get for a chikkie? :D Hope it's lots!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

They won't fight so much as peck each other and be mean when they grow up. We've never had roosters really fight, but they're been bullies. Poor Elliot was knocked down from top rooster to bottom rooster by James, he didn't know how to deal with it when he got chased for crowing or trying to feed the hens. I was so relieved when we sold James. Elliot went back to being co-leaders with Mort shortly after (which is amazing, they work together so well and never fight).

Unfortunately, mixed breed chickens really aren't all that in demand. We'll probably get a dollar or two per hen and the roosters will be sold for cheaper, because you can have tons of hens but you can only get a certain amount of roosters. Luckily, because a lot of our hens are really pretty, we'll hopefully be able to actually sell them. xD

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

yeah it really is quite a shame. :( Me and my dad have considered calling in someone to come take their cats away to a shelter of some sort while they are off on one of their many vacations due to the massive amount of trouble they are causing us. (digging up our garden, killing out birds, climbing into our garage and cars to spray and harassing our own cat if she ever wanders outside.) They tend to lock them outside without anything to eat while they are gone anyway so a chance at being re-adopted could be good for them... but my mom refuses to consider the idea. >.>

In other news, I didn't know that you could have more than one rooster. :O I didn't know they were willing to work together in small groups so that is kind of cool. I always thought it would be fun to have like three or four chickens but our neighborhood wont allow it. Guess its just something to put on my waiting list because...well..... baby chickens! *squee!* xD

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Just a word of warning Lupis but a well known chicken thief has been spotted in your area. You can easily spot him by his green hat.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Awww, bless her little heart! It's great to hear that Roxy is doing much better with wet food. And I think it's so wonderful how well you and your family care for your chickens. I've seen some crappy chicken owners in the past, and it makes me sad. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Do you want a free chicken from NZ because there is this chicken that just randomly started living in our garden near the mangroves and it's frickn huge. XD

It really dislikes our cats too :lol: