Bengal Cats

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Bengal Cats

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I've been thinking about the possibility of getting a Bengal kitten in the near future. My friend has one and I've always thought the cat was beautiful. Then last night, when I went to the store I noticed a cat lurking close by. I went up to the cat and she was very friendly with me. That's when I noticed that she looked alot like a Bengal cat. Her coat was very silky and smooth, and I wanted to take her home. Well not literally, but that's when I feel in love with Bengal cats. I can't believe how gorgeous these cats are. I know they are not cheap, and you run the risk of someone stealing the cat if the cat is let outdoors.

So my question is, are they worth it ? What should I look for from breeders, the do's and don't's.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Bengal Cats

Unread post by Wain »

My sister has two Bengals are they're gorgeous and really good natured. Very friendly, easy-going.

And while most animals are terrified of the vacuum cleaners, one of hers will actually keep running in front of her while she's vacuuming because he loves to have his fur vacuumed. It's hilarious.

Other than that I can't offer you much advice, since I don't own any personally, but hers have been really good.

And honestly, it's worth considering keeping your cat indoors anyway. It's not only kinder on the wildlife, and on the neighbours who don't have to put up with your cat in their yard, but also keeps them away from fights and disease. That is providing you provide a fun, stimulating environment for them in the house.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

The do's and don't's ehh, well when you go to their place (breeders don't sell to stores, millers do) it should be clean. All shot records should be available when you get there, if they're not you need to request the paperwork before buying a new friend (some states require shots before sales but not all). Ask to see all the kittens from that litter and the parents, if there is a breeding problem (inbreeding/genetic defect) it may show up on another kitten (also if they refuse to show you the parents/other kittens they may be hiding something and I would go to someone else). If you are worried about someone taking your new friend get her/him micro chipped, it's like $15 at the animal clinic (a friend had his PB stolen once and the guy who stole Slob, (short for Slobbers, oh so much so) took him to the vet to get him checked out and the vet called my friend because his number was linked to the chip, so I know they work). Make sure you're ready, kittens are a handful. :lol: :mrgreen:

EDIT: If the breeder says the kitten is too young for shots, then they are too young to buy and should stay with their mother longer.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

My husband and I had originally considered getting a Bengal as a pet.
We did a lot of research and in the end simply felt that the complications and the excessive cost were simply not worth it.

(We ended up getting a beautiful blue-point Ragdoll kitty)

All I can suggest is, do a LOT of research. Remember that before 4 generations, they are still prone to wild cat behaviour.
The larger cats are generally within the first 4 generations, as you get further from the original crossing, their temperament tends to mellow and become more "domestic cat" like.

Consider that with this amount of financial investment, you will more than likely NOT want to let your Bengal cat outside other than on a leash.

Also consider that these are typically VERY intelligent cats, and thus requiring correspondingly greater intellectual stimulus. (in other words: attention hogs).

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

AdamSavage

I had my eye on this local website. It seems to be well laid out, and breaks down what included in the price.

http://www.mariebengal.com/bengal-cat-breeder.htm

http://www.mariebengal.com/bengal-cat-s ... e-info.htm
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:
And honestly, it's worth considering keeping your cat indoors anyway. It's not only kinder on the wildlife, and on the neighbours who don't have to put up with your cat in their yard, but also keeps them away from fights and disease. That is providing you provide a fun, stimulating environment for them in the house.
My cats do perfectly fine being outdoors/Indoors cats. But truthfully don't do what we say do what you feel best. Some cats work better being fully inside some don't. I know one of my cats would be fine as a fully indoors one the other she just would not work being inside all the time.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sukurachi wrote:All I can suggest is, do a LOT of research. Remember that before 4 generations, they are still prone to wild cat behaviour.
The larger cats are generally within the first 4 generations, as you get further from the original crossing, their temperament tends to mellow and become more "domestic cat" like.
Oh very much this! ONLY ever buy from a well-known and reputable breeder. If they aren't bred properly, or have bad bloodlines, then you won't know what to expect.

As for the cost, consider that whatever you pay for an animal is still going to be trivial compared to the cost of keeping it for its life. Especially if you do right by it with vet checks, vaccinations, and when it inevitably gets sick with something. A lot of people don't consider that. If you can find a breeder you can really trust, it's worth the extra for knowing your cat is from a good line and is less likely to cause problems for you later.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I think that goes for any pure breed really. I'd recommend seeing if the breed you are after has any known problems that your cat might get just so you know what to look out for in the long run as it can't hurt. I know some breeds are less likely to have issues than others.
Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

I have two bengals and can say without a doubt they are the most wonderful pets I have ever had. They act like kittens still even though they are now six years old. They play and play and play and when it's time for bed they come and sleep in bed with me most of the time snuggling under the covers as close as can be. They can be somewhat expensive, but as long as you make sure to keep them happy and healthy they can be your loving companions for many years.

Make sure you do a lot of breeder research, and don't be afraid to e-mail them and ask them any questions you may have about the breed. A reputable breeder will not be afraid to correspond with you about your decision to take on one of their cats. They should be more than willing to show you their bloodline paperwork and vet records proving the parents were tested for any genetic issues prior to their breeding. When you go to get your kitten (I don't know if you are having them sent on a plane or you are going to pick them up at the breeder's home) they should come with their vet papers showing they were checked out no matter what. Hope this helps.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

There is a whole genre on YouTube dedicated to bengals on exercise wheels!
AdamSavage

Dr. Who Video!

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Wain wrote:And honestly, it's worth considering keeping your cat indoors anyway. It's not only kinder on the wildlife, and on the neighbours who don't have to put up with your cat in their yard, but also keeps them away from fights and disease. That is providing you provide a fun, stimulating environment for them in the house.
This!! Please keep your cats indoors and provide them with stimulation and exercise. Bengals take to a leash very easily so you can take them for walks just don't let them outside off leash or unsupervised. I have Savannahs and I walk mine several times a week! They love it!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Sesamee wrote:I have Savannahs and I walk mine several times a week! They love it!
Oh please please please please post pics!!!!

I totally LOVE Savannahs.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

AdamSavage

Sukurachi wrote:
Sesamee wrote:I have Savannahs and I walk mine several times a week! They love it!
Oh please please please please post pics!!!!

I totally LOVE Savannahs.
I agree, they are good looking cats as well.

Oh I found a nice cat video: Moogly,the Bengal, Amazing cat Tricks

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

I found a bunch of pictures of these beauties. Still on the fence, if I want one. I do want one, but I'm not sure if I could handle one and I still need to learn more about them.

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Well after asking quite the series of question with Lotusii, and a Breeder. I deiced that I'm going get a Bengal, as I think I can handle one. It's going to be interesting to watch her group up. I don't get her till end of march, as she is just over 2 weeks old right now. Below is a picture of the kitten I picked out, though I still have yet to pick a name. Suggestions would be wonderful.

Dr. Who Video!