Going home with Pet on Train.

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Going home with Pet on Train.

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I'm going to visit my mother for Easter, and she happens to live in the same city as the cat Breeder. I thought it was silly at first that I would have to go home without the kitty. However it seems I will be able to get bring the kitty home with me! I found out that Go Train (multi city Transit System) will allow the kitten on the train, as long as she is in a cat carrier. The train from Toronto to Ottawa has luggage car and I will be allowed to check her in as a pet. That saved me almost $200. Win for me. I just have to figure out how to get the kitty, and how to bring myself and they kitten to the Go Train @ 5:30 in the morning when I leave to come home.

I don't own a car. So the only way the cat is going to get to Ottawa is either on the Train, or via plane in a small heated section of the belly. Where it's probably quite loud. Breeders ship out Bengals worldwide, so depending on the distance it could be even longer of a trip for the poor cat. I will even bring something like a blanket that has my scent on it and put it in cat carrier with her. This might help her calm down abit.It's not like I'm putting the cat underneath a train or anything. It's a regular car with no windows, and gutted of the seats basically. So it's not luggage compartment, it's an entire train car just for luggage. People use them all the time.

I take the plane option, and the cat will be in the air for about 90 minutes, and landing in two different airports. Then you have to factor in time between the planes etc etc.. It could be just as long as the train if not longer. Kitchener is a smaller city, so I would assume it would go to the main Hub for the province (Toronto), then go to Ottawa.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.js ... Id=2769036 <=== something from here might help as well ? suggestions ?
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Re: Going home with Pet on Train.

Unread post by Dewclaw »

How old is the kitten? Some vets will dispense a medicine to help keep pets calm during such situations, as travel like that can be extremely stressful.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

If it was a dog then sedation would be possible but rarely do vets provide sedation or something calming for cats. Especially young cats. They're bodies react very oddly to any form of sedation and it could even be fatal. I would check and see if they'll allow the kitten in the train with you. As in. On your seat. A lot of small dogs etc can be transported that way on planes etc.
If you do transport her in a cargo hold I'd put a shirt of yours, a teddy bear or some sort of stuffed animal and make it as cushy as possible. Having a crate that the cat cannot see out of may help also. Just the grate door. This creates a cave like feel and they're hiding and safe.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

AdamSavage

She will be 92 days/ 3 months and 2 days old when I pick her up. The train is heated, and it's a walled off section, from the luggage itself. They would not allow the pets to travel, if it wasn't.( I called and asked them)

I plan to bring a small blanket up with me with, and leaving it with the breeder so it has my scent and picks up the scents in the house. Then, when I'm ready to pick her up and go home, it should have collected some scents. There is going to be around 4-5 days from when I visit her, and pick her up. I could even mail out a blanket a couple weeks ahead of time.
Last edited by AdamSavage on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Btw, here is the newest pictures I got from the breeder.

Dr. Who Video!