Quarantined your kitten

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Quarantined your kitten

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I was told on this other forum, and this is the first I've ever heard of this. That
you should have quarantined your kitten for at least 2 weeks before introducing her to your existing cat,as breeding catteries can be full of illness and disease, as some here have found to their cost.
. I did my research when it came to the breeder I got my Bengal from, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't sell sick cats. Also, if the kitten was full of illness and disease, then it wouldn't matter how long I kept them apart. That's just my own thought.

What do you guys think ?
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Re: Quarantined your kitten

Unread post by Chimera »

As a basis when introducing animals together I've been taught to introduce them slowly over a few weeks to ensure they don't display openly aggressive behavior that in the end may make the two living together impossible. The other is indeed the chance of passing on things to each other. I always air on caution just because items/people/animals/plants/whatever coming from another place which was potentially exposed to things they are resistant against may be new to everyone and everything in the new environment. Carriers are probably just as common or more than infected.

All in all though it's rather situational I find and the lack of proper care and research (which you have already taken care of both). Sometimes theres no biggy about it, other times its a terrible result. By what I've seen in your thread showing her, both your cats seem to be doing well and she had a clean bill of health. Keep an eye out for any abnormalities just incase though, it can potentially be slow and subtle but I highly doubt you'll encounter anything :)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

AdamSavage

Yeah I don't think anything is going to happen. They both started to chase each other around the room last night, but only when I wasn't watching.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

I got this from the breeder's website.
Vaccinations
We give 3 Way killed PCT vaccinations that cover for Panleukopenia, Calicivirus and Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis. We recommend continuing with Killed vaccines but talk with your vet with what is best.

Kittens are vaccinated at 8 and 12 weeks - this means they only require 2 boosters (not 3). Rabies can be given at the kittens first checkup or at a later date although we usually administer this vaccine as part of their shots.

Dr. Who Video!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Oh good they pay for shots! Or at least some of the really nasty ones. I've never actually researched breeders myself but I keep hearing that people who try to breed for a living find it far too expensive to vaccinate and often end up leaving it for the new owners to handle :| But of course cause I've never researched the data it's hard to say how valid that argument is XD

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Cool that you only need to pay for the boosters. That's like us the pound gave them the first lot and we have to just pay for the yearly booster or something.

I would not worry too much about the chaseing each other unless it gets really violent. They are just working out who is on top and all that.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

As a rule of thumb, it doesn't hurt to keep a new animal separate for a period of time until it's health can be established. I generally quarantine new animals, but I rescue and those I rescue are usually in poor health. I wouldn't want to pass anything on to my other healthy animals. Vaccines are wonderful, but they are only 99% effective. I have had a fully vaccinated cat come down with a virus that it had been vaccinated against. Lucky me I got the 1% lol.
AdamSavage

Well I did get her on Good Friday, and she wasn't exposed to any animals till Wednesday.

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

cowmuflage wrote:Cool that you only need to pay for the boosters. That's like us the pound gave them the first lot and we have to just pay for the yearly booster or something.

I would not worry too much about the chaseing each other unless it gets really violent. They are just working out who is on top and all that.
Well right now, it's my kitten that's chasing my Adult Cat. They even eat some wet cat food from the same bowl, and no bickering.

Dr. Who Video!

Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

That's good! I managed to get my cats to get along by basically tricking them to play together with a piece of string. Eventually the older one stopped hissing at the kitten and they both just wanted to kill the string lol.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It probably depends on how zealous you are. To people who have their entire lives based around one passion, things that are probably just minor improvements in a process become "MUST DO" in their minds. So quarantining it would certainly help lower the risk, but the question is whether the risk is great enough that you should bother. If the kitten came from a good environment, perhaps not. Life is a series of risk vs benefit trade-offs, otherwise we'd never do anything. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

As a lifelong cat owner who has owned well over 15 cats in his lifetime I have never worried about quarantine, even with strays. With that said I would NEVER pay for a cat either. That's just absurd with all the ones suffering in kennels and getting euthanized. So I'm not sure how it works with breeding or catteries because I think those are an absolute horrid waste.

Anyway, the sooner you introduce them the sooner the clock starts on the countdown to them being acclimated which will be different for all cats. I've had cats hissing at each other well into the two month time and I had two cats sleeping on top of each other after the new one had only been introduced for two days.
AdamSavage

leaponover wrote:As a lifelong cat owner who has owned well over 15 cats in his lifetime I have never worried about quarantine, even with strays. With that said I would NEVER pay for a cat either. That's just absurd with all the ones suffering in kennels and getting euthanized. So I'm not sure how it works with breeding or catteries because I think those are an absolute horrid waste.

Anyway, the sooner you introduce them the sooner the clock starts on the countdown to them being acclimated which will be different for all cats. I've had cats hissing at each other well into the two month time and I had two cats sleeping on top of each other after the new one had only been introduced for two days.
I feel in love with the Breed. ;)

Dr. Who Video!