Why I want a mantis shrimp hunter pet

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

by Matthew Inman, at The Oatmeal:

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Why I want a mantis shrimp hunter pet

Unread post by Lupis »

I listened to a radio special about Mantis Shrimp once! Definitely an amazing, amazing beasty. The assumption is that, for a Mantis Shrimp, a simple rainbow would take up the entire sky.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

So much awesome! I got to tell you though ... what really sold me was watching the Mantis Shrimp break through the aquarium glass and ninja maul that human's face ... xenomorph style!

Being a former Marine Biologist (I think that's what he used to do), this should make quite the impression on Ghostcrawler! Forget the dinosaurs ... tame all the crustaceans!

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OMG I loved it. Great comic :)

The "killing fish" part made me sad, though, because killing my seahorses was precisely how I found out about them. It took me ages to find and eradicate it. And then the second one :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Hatari
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Hatari »

I can't stop laughing. That is just made of awesome.
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Omfg, The Oatmeal, I love you :lol: This tops the poster bf got of the reasons why it's believed printers came from hell XD

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

If I recall, Mantis Shrimp are Ghostcrawler's favorite!

Oh, this chainsawsuit comic also comes to mind ... SEA BUDDIES!. But it's a pistol shrimp, not a mantis shrimp...
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:OMG I loved it. Great comic :)

The "killing fish" part made me sad, though, because killing my seahorses was precisely how I found out about them. It took me ages to find and eradicate it. And then the second one :P

Did you put it in there or did it hitch a ride in something? Like why my tanks full of snails that wont go away!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:
Did you put it in there or did it hitch a ride in something? Like why my tanks full of snails that wont go away!
My partner of the time bought me a tank with seahorses for my birthday. Best present ever! There was a big piece of "live rock" in it with all sorts of cool creepy crawlies and little feather worms and stuff. I could spend hours looking for things.

But every now and then we'd here this piercing noise, like a spoon hitting a glass. It was weird but just added to the mystery. It was only after we found both seahorses dead that we were told by the shop that the noise was a murderous mantis shrimp. That's the sound they make when they excavate tunnels through rock with their claws!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

I didn't even need to read all of those things about it. The moment I first saw it, I knew it's the kind of ridiculously looking thing I'd love to add to my hunter's stables. Now knowing it's so beautifully garish AND deadlier than a shark of similar size? Yes, please, now.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Zhinru wrote:I didn't even need to read all of those things about it. The moment I first saw it, I knew it's the kind of ridiculously looking thing I'd love to add to my hunter's stables. Now knowing it's so beautifully garish AND deadlier than a shark of similar size? Yes, please, now.
In fact, I think it could be potentially the most dangerous animal period that isn't venomous o.O Not sure about that but dem appendages. Just. Dem appendages.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:
My partner of the time bought me a tank with seahorses for my birthday. Best present ever! There was a big piece of "live rock" in it with all sorts of cool creepy crawlies and little feather worms and stuff. I could spend hours looking for things.

But every now and then we'd here this piercing noise, like a spoon hitting a glass. It was weird but just added to the mystery. It was only after we found both seahorses dead that we were told by the shop that the noise was a murderous mantis shrimp. That's the sound they make when they excavate tunnels through rock with their claws!
Those poor sea horses :( It's a bummer when those things happen.