Disciplining Cats

Do you think it's ok to tap a cat on the nose, and tell them No!

Yes
73%
No
18%
Not sure/Maybe
9%

Total votes: 22

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Disciplining Cats

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I dunno nose tapping has worked for me in the past with my old cat *shrug* It never hurt him.
AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by AdamSavage »

cowmuflage wrote:I dunno nose tapping has worked for me in the past with my old cat *shrug* It never hurt him.
I'm on the fence with this. If you tap them very lightly, it's not going to hurt the cat. So I don't know..
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

AdamSavage wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:I dunno nose tapping has worked for me in the past with my old cat *shrug* It never hurt him.
I'm on the fence with this. If you tap them very lightly, it's not going to hurt the cat. So I don't know..
It's fine if you gently tap them on the nose. It won't kill them. I did that with my kitty Momo when he was bad and he understood really quickly the behavior that I didn't want him to exhibit and he quit that quickly.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

In general, it's best to use positive reinforcement over negative, but sometimes it's just not an option. Tapping a cat on the nose won't scar them. Hitting them or striking them hard is completely different and not okay, but a little tap is just going to get their attention. Much like dogs, cats probably won't remember what they did so even if you show them what they did, they just won't understand. Punishing a cat or dog long after the fact will do nothing except confuse the animal. In general, you just have to catch them in the act if you want to try and punish them somehow.

People already mentioned it, but it may be a health problem, or the cat may not like the litter in the cat box. There are a bunch of different reasons that the cat might be acting like that. My cat recently had an incident with peeing everywhere, but it ended up being a health issue, and as soon as we changed his food, he stopped.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

She has only gone outside the litter box 2x on me, and has not sense then. It could be a littler box issue, as the first time was when I had to remove the litter box on the main floor. Then 2nd time, it could of just been that she didn't like the smell of either box.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I actually tap them on the noggin and hiss. That has always worked well for me and that's exactly how a momma cat does it. If I can't reach their head then I'll tap them on the rump. I always hiss though. They should know what a hiss means no matter what species makes the sound.
And I did all of this to my two adult cats so age shouldn't matter. I've gotten almost all bad behaviors gone though (except for my Persian who will sometimes jump on the table AFTER I LEAVE THE ROOM she's such a little shit lol but my male cat is a total mommas boy)

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

Since we have two cats with totally different personalities we had to find two ways of saying "no". For Nala the water bottle worked miracles when she started shredding my curtains. A sharp "no" along with some water and she was off as fast as lightning. Now if she does something bad it's enough to shake the water bottle - she'll shake herself and take off even bevore you sprayed her. Flora instead is very fond of water and loves playing in the bath tub or the sink. For her we had to try almost everything: water - nope didn't work, just a sharp "no" - nope, she just continued, hissing - finally something that worked. The best results we had with a loud "no" followed by a hiss. And she follows when you say "down" and point your finger to the floor (for example when you catch her sitting on the table).

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

For both our cats, we use either the "psssht!" sound or a quick blast in their vicinity - not at/on them - with the canned air, if extra emphasis is needed. They respond better to the "pssht" noise now than they do the can, really, so mostly we just use that, with an occasional "no" or "ah-ah."

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415