dealing with a pet dieing

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

dealing with a pet dieing

Unread post by ashdawn »

my dog doesnt have many years left, how do I prepare for this? he is my first pet so tips will be needed

about 2-6 years left, and thats low enough for me to start preparing, also he is 9.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: dealing with a pet dieing

Unread post by Makoes »

Well for starters, don't! When you start focusing on them getting old, your already killing them in your mind. Don't! I have an 18yr old cat that's skin and bones, and could die any day. she's been with me since I was 9 yrs old. But so long as she's willing to get up each day, whack the young cats out of her way and demand her food, I will respect her being alive, and being who she is.
Anyone can die at any moment, walk out the door get hit by a car, eat bad food and die...Don't focus on that! Just enjoy every day you have with those around you, pets or people. I'd rather enjoy the life they are living, then taint it with thoughts of their death.

It is not how long one lives, but the life one lives that matters. Focus on that.

I'd also suggest taking plenty of pictures so that when the time does come, you will have many fond memories to look back on. I've had non-human members of my family pass on, 2 dogs, 4 cats, a rabbit, a turtle, plenty of fish. I have a book of memories, where I keep all the pictures of them, and I remember all the fun times we had together.
And sometimes, I remember their deaths, and cry again at the loss. But that's what makes life so great and wonderful! It begins and goes and we never know just when it will end, so its all the more important to make each moment matter, and be the best that it can be.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

thanks for this, I guess ill revive this thread in any second to 100 years when the time comes and I need to deal with it :)
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

I dwelled a long time on my first cat blowing this popsicle stand, he is getting near skin n' bones 85 year old panthasaurus that he is now, every time he struggled to get up a step, or wobbled & a leg stiffened up it just broke my heart, & I'd just break out crying for half an hour or more.

I'd say over the past month or so I've learned through friends support, that he, will tell me, when he's ready. He's gotten better walking, give him his glucosamine, but that won't prolong the inevitable. I make sure to brush him, love him, hug him, pet him, everything for him every day, & I take at least one photo of him every day as well, even if it's of him sleeping.

Personally to help me cope with the inevitable, I'm going to get him cremated & get a paw print of his or several tattooed on my body somewhere. Until then, I'm not looking at him paws in the grave, he's not there yet, but he's an old meow-meow, & I do everything I can to ensure he's cozy, fed, & doing what HE wants for the time HE decides he wants to stay on this earth with me, & I cherish every day of it...
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Enjoy the time you have. If you spend all that time worrying about when they're gone, you'll miss out. That said, your pet will let you know when it's time. Many owners aren't ready. Don't make that mistake. It causes too much suffering for both parties. It's hard when they go. Nothing makes it any easier. I lost one I Jan. that i was very close to. There are still days when I'm reduced to tears.
Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Unread post by Nevish »

Watch your pet, but don't start acting like he's already dying. Keep living life, play with him, love him dearly. He may have a lot of years left ahead of him that you won't be able to predict.

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

Thats a pretty good idea, ill see about getting his pawprint in some stone, ill see if I can do that with all my pets, then put them on display somewhere along with a photo, but like you say, just enjoy the time I have.
ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

Well, I said I'd revive this thread when he died and I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Now I used to be a very different person when I posted here, I was a child, dropped out of school due to social issues with an unrealistic out-look on the world. Not to say I've become cynical but certainly grown up and learned a lot more about life. It's funny how someone can change over the course of 4 years so much to the point where I'd barely consider myself the same person. Looking back through these threads to find this one has taught me that while my intentions were right back then, I most certainly wasn't a lot of the time, that being said I'm sure it's very natural to look back on your old self and shudder.

All of us have our early teen years where we go through phases and such. Sometimes they grow and define us as people and sometimes they die off. I'm not really the kind of person to be posting on forums along with (no offense) the majority of other users also being children or having them themselves.

I'm sure besides a few most of the other people my age have moved on from now and have grown as people to. Wondering there the people I've met along all this way is something I dont give much thought until times like this. I'm not really looking to be consoled or for people to make me feel better but just to share the harsh reality of the situation.

I was very wrong to expect him to be gone 4 years earlier from now, he was still a youngish dog, around 50 or so in dog years. Maybe by the time I'd have figured it out on my own back then it would have been too late so I can thank the people here for opening my eyes and actually making a different.

A couple months after making this thread I specifically remember that I wanted him to go out and enjoy as much of this time he had as possible, taking him on walks, treating him with the respect he always gave us. He was always there, a shoulder to cry on when I was being dramatic, a body to cuddle on the living room floor while my mum would watch her tv program.

I dropped out of school when I hit highschool. Until I made friends online in 2014 he was probably my only friend for a huge part of my life despite digging through solid concrete and chewing my favorite toys we still loved him. Almost 2 years ago my mum had another baby, my brother. I wasn't happy about this and was shunned by a lot of my friends for openly saying she should have an abortion, obviously I've come to realize that is definitely out of order and not something I should've said so harshly without regard. Later down the line he's 2 and often tried to go near the dog, him being 2 I had my fears and kept him away as much as possible out of respect for my dog.

I dont regret this, in fact I'm proud of it. It's not like a 2 year old can understand a dog as old as him who could barely walk in his last days doesnt want to be climbed on. I think that's fair, it's not as if he would remember him as he cant talk. It's quite amazing to see how happy he is despite what's happened, ignorance is bliss as they say and I'm in envy of it.

Death is fantasized a lot, despite suicide being a very real and serious thing, many people do it for attention. A lot of times you see on tv shows and movies, they kill people left and right, maybe someone they love dies in their arms, they shed a single tear but they dont tell you everything.

You wake up, your alarm goes off at 8. You set it early this morning because your sleeping pattern is really out for college which you started last week, that's the biggest thing in your life. You turn your computer on as you go brush your teeth and you sit down to do world quests in legion. Your friend logs on and you do mythic brf, you get 2 pieces of a set you dont want and 0 of the set you do want "What a bother" you think. You browse for a while and it's 2 oclock. You get showered and get dressed. Your mum asks you if you've got your shoes on yet all the while the dog is asleep in his bed. You go out to the opticians to get your eye test for new glasses. You get new glasses just in time for the free NHS insurance of someone under 16. I check my watch that I got as an early present for my 16th for the time, It's about 4 now and you're walking back to the car. You talk about college with your mum, she mentions it's your birthday in 2 days and that you'll be at college for the last day, "What a bother" you think. You drive home, you get through the door and kick off your shoes as you go upstairs to get your bag to sort out the drinks and your pack lunch for college tomorrow. My mum complains about "Ben and holly's little kingdom" not working on the TV making my little brother get a bit bored as he starts to wander around the house. my brother goes over to the dog and pets him. We pet the dog for a little while who doesnt seem to be any different, little did we know that'd be the last time we'd touch him. I carry my brother to the living room and set up his TV program, he's sat on the sofa happily watching. Suddenly your mum from the other room is talking about how he's struggling to stand up and to see if he'll stand up for me. I get a dog biscuit, nothing. He tries to lick the biscuit off the floor right in front of him and cant grip it in his mouth. Your mum starts to panic, "What if he had a stroke! what if what if what if". "Relax" you say as you try and calm her down, He was probably lying on his leg funny. You suggest she should probably call the vet just incase if he doesnt get up when your stepdad gets home. Your stepdad walks through the door as you're looking after your brother and you dont hear the pitter patter of the claws yet but still you think surely this isnt it. Your stepdad tries to get him to stand up as your dog is crawling around the garden with his 2 front feet. After a while we get him to walk to the car and have to carry him on to the floor of the front passenger seat, you say goodbye like you have before when he had to go in just for that one thing that wasn't actually anything and you go back upstairs. You put "time lapse" back on, you think about the movie and about how they could avoid their problems by doing simple things and suddenly...

"Knock, knock, knockknock, knock" You hear her happy knock the same way she always does it, the door opens to a face with mascara running down it and that's when you know.

We hugged, we talked about ashes, paw-prints in stone and the likes. My nan just had her dog put down so we use the same guy because he does it great. That's it, you sit on your bed, you cry for 20 minutes, you get back up, cry some more. I assume you cry on and off but I cant be that sad. When you're so old to the point where you can't walk, you can see it in their eyes. When your dog wets himself and is incredibly scared because of all the times you scolded him as a puppy for peeing on the rug, at that point how can you live knowing that every day of their life would be better for them if they didnt have to live it.

I doubt many if any of you remember me, and if any of you care. For my this is closure, I always said I'd do this no matter how much I grew out of this place or WoW but thank you for reading my wall of text.

Here's a picture Image
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Everything changes. It's the only thing we can expect from life. No need to be embarrassed by who you were, and I don't think anyone judges you for it. That said, I am so sorry for the loss of your dog, your friend. It's always hard, no matter how expected or unexpected. Just know that he lived a good life, was loved and was safe and even in his last moments, he knew this. That's the best thing we can do for our animals. *hug*
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm so sorry it's finally happened :(

I never saw this thread back in 2013 but it's clear you've grown a lot in that time. I had my dog (also a yellow lab) for 15 years and even though I knew it was coming it still killed me inside when she died. So I know what it's like.

It's unfair that dogs live such short lives, and it's hard on us because it's a bit like losing your own children. But it sounds like you gave him a wonderful life and he knew he was very much loved. It sounds like he was very lucky to have you. I hope you're doing ok and remember that you did good by him. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

"Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life and love others - pets already know how to do that so they don't have to stay as long"
Sorry for your loss... my first kitty son passed in Aug 2013; he was 18yrs old. He'd lost muscle mass between June-Aug, and was turning into a picky eater... I'd already prepared for him to blow this popsicle stand by getting his urn, saving for the cremation, & vet visit. It was just a matter of time, of him letting me know he was ready to head out... & he did. I spent my last moments with him, hugging him, loving him, knowing I did everything I could... & I was there till the end.

And in the end that's all you can really do... show that you love them and you're there for them, till the bitter end, because they know. :hug:
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []