New Lizard

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: New Lizard

Unread post by Wain »

I agree with Zed. I don't want to be a downer, but if they are uncommon in the wild already it's probably not good (and perhaps illegal?) to take a wild one for your pet. Sticking with captive-bred stock is much kinder to nature.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I know plenty of people who have brought him turtles/lizards/etc as pets. Alligator lizards up there could be very different from the ones down here. That's the thing about biology. Two different species can exist in the two different places but be nothing alike. Makoes is taking care of it and has deinfested it from having ticks. To be honest if she had left it with those ticks all over it then it easily could have died. There's also that if she's never seen one before it IS a pet or was.. or it's been dumped and she took it in.

I'm not trying to be rude but she's taking very good care of it and I think Makoes is smart enough to know to let it go IF it gets aggressive.

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

I'd recommend seeing a proffessional or going to a vet in real life to get all the details, if you should keep it, if you can keep it then how to keep it alive, hibernation etc. I had a frog when I was little, not exactly a lizard but I can relate.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the whole wild animal/legal bit. Looking up the status of Northern Alligator lizards in the wild here, and they are apparently pretty common. As to legality, it is always illegal to domesticate a native wild animal. But I have no plans on debating legality here.
As to aggression, well funny story there...Last night I reached my finger into the tank to pet the lizard, and it turned and hissed am me, mouth open hissing in aggression...considering its size it was very hard not to burst out laughing...especially since it has no visible teeth. So, I started stroking it by the base of its head and down the neck, a spot that the bearded dragon always melts at, and sure enough it went from hissing, to its eyes closing and it even started to flatten out in pleasure. suddenly as if realising it was relaxing its eyes popped open and it started hissing again, so I repeated the process and sure enough there went its eyes, and it started to flatten out. eyes popped open, only a half hiss this time, mouth barely open, about 30 sec later it was just laying there with its eyes closed, and flattened out enjoying the pets.
Then it let me pick it up and i had it sitting in my open palm, its snake like tongue tasting my skin. It didn't try to get away, merely watched me as I watched it.
I am not sure whether or not it might have been someones pet, I've read how aggressive they can be, yet this one seems rather tame. It seems more curious then anything, even the day I caught it, it was not aggressive, despite being a nice warm day.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Sounds like a pet that was dumped to me. You take good care of it hun, and find a shoe box for it to hibernate in. :hug: :mrgreen:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Defo sound likes someones pet to me..

Glad you´r taking good care of it :D.. it would have scared me to death :P

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

Sounds awesome! :D now, lets all think of possible names :3
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Not sure what the name should be but let us know when you can do this with him Makoes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrefZPU-A2c :lol: :mrgreen:

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Oh that's awesome!!!!! Hehehehe, would love to be able to do something like that with it :P

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

If its really a boy you should name him Irwin. :3

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I'm 99.9% sure that IS NOT someone's former pet. Also given the appeared tail bulge and head size it's probably male. I am (actually was) a vet tech specializing in exotics. I have owned and bred hundreds of species of reptiles. So. My opinion isn't based on a random opinion. Most wild reptiles have ticks and survive just fine with them believe it or not. They also have internal parasites too.
It's not fair to the animal (IN MY OPINION) to take it from the big wild open wilderness it's used to and putting in a box because you feel you "saved" it. Trust me you didn't. That animal is extremely healthy by the looks of it. I'm not trying to be rude but I'm firmly against animals being removed from the while like that. One lizard has a territory about the size of a large room of a house. That's a big space for a 6+ inch lizard.
I strongly suggest you let it go. If you MUST keep it better start researching now on ways to brumate (aka hibernate) the animal properly which isn't exactly easy regardless of what you read. Not hibernating the animal properly can and does lead to illness and possibly death.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

A box on a shelf is a good place to hibernate, just make sure it's somewhere no one will bump it and where you can hear it wiggle when the little guy wakes up. :mrgreen:

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

Makoes (Personally I'd call it toothless because of its toothlessness and im a huge fan of how to train your dragon but thats just me)

but yeah, I guess at this point its completely up to you if you want to keep it or not, there is perfectly reasonable sides at both ends, but its up to you now :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I don't understand how it not being aggressive means it was a pet? I mean I'm not trying to say anything about keeping it or anything but I just don't think not being aggressive = someones pet. That's assuming and we all know the saying that goes with that.