Stupid people....Just...facepalm

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Stupid people....Just...facepalm

Unread post by Redith »

Stupid person of the night award goes to...
Out on patrol with my German Shepherd K9 partner Krush. He sticks his heard out of the window at a gas station.
Lady-Oh my god, how cruel that you crop your dogs ears.
/facepalm
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Stupid people....Just...facepalm

Unread post by Wain »

... they think shepherds normally have floppy ears?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

Wain wrote:... they think shepherds normally have floppy ears?
I guess lol
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Lol too funny.. And sad.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

She probably has them mentally confused with Dobermans which, while they don't look anything alike, are lumped in with the image of 'security dogs'. It's Dobies that naturally have floppy ears and often have them cropped to stand up.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

/facepalm

The stupid hurts.

Shepards ears are floppy when they are pups, HOWEVER, that changes as they grow into adulthood. The ears become erect and stand straight up. Pretty sure that's how it goes.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Nachtwulf wrote:She probably has them mentally confused with Dobermans which, while they don't look anything alike, are lumped in with the image of 'security dogs'. It's Dobies that naturally have floppy ears and often have them cropped to stand up.
Along these lines, years ago the guy I was dating at the time adopted a German Shepherd. She had injured her tail and it never healed right and kept getting re-injured despite our best efforts, so eventually we had to have her tail removed.

Fast forward several months later, I'm taking the dog for a walk in the park and someone exclaims "I'VE NEVER SEEN A LONG HAIRED DOBERMAN BEFORE!" And the dog wasn't what I would consider long haired. Yes, longer hair than a doberman, but her coat was short and sleek by German Shepherd standards XD
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Junrei wrote:Shepards ears are floppy when they are pups, HOWEVER, that changes as they grow into adulthood. The ears become erect and stand straight up. Pretty sure that's how it goes.
Yeah, all pups have floppy ears. They take months to stand up properly. Shepherds are funny in that their ears seem to grow a lot faster than their bodies, so they have "Batman ears" for a while :)

Nachtwulf wrote:She probably has them mentally confused with Dobermans which, while they don't look anything alike, are lumped in with the image of 'security dogs'. It's Dobies that naturally have floppy ears and often have them cropped to stand up.
Is cropping still done in the States? It's been illegal in Australia for a very long time. Tail docking is now illegal here too (except for medical reasons), but was allowed up till the last couple of decades.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Wain wrote:
Junrei wrote:Shepards ears are floppy when they are pups, HOWEVER, that changes as they grow into adulthood. The ears become erect and stand straight up. Pretty sure that's how it goes.
Yeah, all pups have floppy ears. They take months to stand up properly. Shepherds are funny in that their ears seem to grow a lot faster than their bodies, so they have "Batman ears" for a while :)

Is cropping still done in the States? It's been illegal in Australia for a very long time. Tail docking is now illegal here too (except for medical reasons), but was allowed up till the last couple of decades.
I'm pretty sure it still is. sadly. a dog just down the road had his ears cropped and I used to have a friend who cropped his pit bull's ears.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:

Bananananananana BATDOG!

But yeah, cropping is still done in the US to Boxers, Pitties, Dobies, etc.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Pits are so much cuter with floppy ears too. (I guess that's the point...)

I don't /necessarily/ object to cropping/docking if it's done by a medical professional, especially if it's for 'job reasons'... as if a dog is actually a security dog, a long tail can get seriously injured in the execution of their duties.

BUT. The shelter I work with often gets dogs (usually pits) with really horribly ghetto-cropped ears, done by apparently some yahoo with a pair of shears. They're misshapen, lopsided, heal poorly, and are prone to serious infections (nevermind being unsightly) and -that- is inexcusable to me.

It's one thing to go through a surgical procedure. It's another to hack your dog's ears off with a knife. *shudder*

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

I had a boxer who we cut his tail. But we did it professionally and for good reason. He would wag his tail so hard he would keep breaking it. It was so funny he would wag his whole ass afterwards lol
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

This may be the problem, the adorable, adorable, problem :hug:
Image :mrgreen:

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Serendipity82 wrote:Fast forward several months later, I'm taking the dog for a walk in the park and someone exclaims "I'VE NEVER SEEN A LONG HAIRED DOBERMAN BEFORE!" And the dog wasn't what I would consider long haired. Yes, longer hair than a doberman, but her coat was short and sleek by German Shepherd standards XD

:shock:
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

How about this one.
My buddy and I were at a dog park and he let his dog off leash. This woman walks up and tells him he has to put his dog back on leash because that was the parks rules for PITBULLS. Well 1. that rules sucks but that's not my issue. Take a look at the photo of my buddies pitbull

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

OMG what an adorable brindle boxer! so cute, love the white dipped paws. Oh and yeah that lady is an idiot :lol: :mrgreen:

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh man, have you seen the kinds of dogs people will label "Pit bull"? It's insane! Let alone that pit bulls DON'T EXIST. x.x There are four breeds commonly called pit bulls, but people will just call anything short-furred with an athletic build a pit bull, doesn't matter if it contains any of those four breeds. Watch out for those dangerous pit bulls, they're bred to have lock jaws! ...What do you mean that's not a breed?

That's one adorable boxer, by the way.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

These stories make me giggle :P Especially since I have an American Pit Bull Terrier

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Oh man, have you seen the kinds of dogs people will label "Pit bull"? It's insane! Let alone that pit bulls DON'T EXIST. x.x There are four breeds commonly called pit bulls, but people will just call anything short-furred with an athletic build a pit bull, doesn't matter if it contains any of those four breeds. Watch out for those dangerous pit bulls, they're bred to have lock jaws! ...What do you mean that's not a breed?

That's one adorable boxer, by the way.
Ya Boxers, Am-staffs, Am-bulldog, Dogo Argentino, and the one that bugs me the most, BULL MASTIFF. SERIOUSLY??? Dumb people
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

Find the Pitbull