Kitty woes

Nefretiti
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Kitty woes

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I need to vent abit ><

I have a female cat approximately 12 years old. she's a shelter kitty so they were not sure of her exact age.

some weeks ago I discovered a lump on her back, at first I just kept an eye on it and it did not grow nor did she seem to be in pain on or around the lump when touched but then people began to agitate about it which resulted in no less than two visits to the vets, various tests and the like .. the first came back inconclusive .. the second came back with to few cells but those cells they did see indicated a benign nature but the recommendation was removal .. and just a week ago I discovered a new lump on her back leg .. I'm starting to fear I will end up having to put her to sleep :cry:

My little Mae.

Attachments
Mae.jpg
Mae.jpg (238.6 KiB) Viewed 30310 times
Mae1.jpg
Mae1.jpg (198.6 KiB) Viewed 30310 times
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Kitty woes

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh Nef :hug: i hope everything will be alright :hug: she is an incredible beautiful cat. I have a soft spot for black cats with white in them. Hope your sweetie of a cat pulls through. :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Well...if she's still looking as active and alert in person as she does in your photos, and is still eating and drinking well, I don't really think you have much to worry about yet. In the past, my vet has told me that older animals can develop benign fatty growths, which may be what's going on with your Mae. You might want to have them removed, you might not - but as I said, if she's still doing well otherwise, I don't think she's in any imminent danger.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Nefretiti

I don't think she's in danger right now but my family had a dog with a similar growth and it developed into cancer in mere weeks so I can't help but worry :-( I'm planing on having the growth removed since everyone I've spoken to says she should manage the operation fine despite her age.

Thank you for your support :hug:

Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

One thing I would strongly recommend is pre surgery blood work at her age. The vet I work for requires it after 8 years old, since it checks the organs that process the anesthesia.We have had to cancel many surgeries based on the results of the blood work done prior in older pets.
Nefretiti

A small update

After some drama and consternation concerning the operation, the initial assesment of the cost ended up around $700 and when we called the same place a second time the price had suddenly shot up to about $950.
I was ready to give up, not because I did not want to have it done but I just don't have that kind of money but as a last resort we contacted the vet who did the original tests and whatnot on her and she was shocked at the pricing and then agreed to do the operation as the lump is still fairly small and tests showed a benign nature , for a mere $200 so she's going under the knife on 30/9

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I can't be 100% positive, but your cat may have a condition called Neurofibromatosis. It's a genetic disorder that disturbs cell growth in the nervous system, causing tumors to form on nerve tissue. These tumors may develop anywhere in the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and skin. It's a rare condition, one that both humans and animals share. The tumors are often benign and non-invasive but should always be biopsied by a vet to check for malignancy. Unfortunately, there is no cure for Neurofibromatosis. Surgical removal is the only option available for problematic or malignant growths at this time.

You may want to ask the vet if he/she can test for this genetic disorder; especially, since the lumps keep returning.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Nefretiti

My little lady whent under the knife today.
Everything whent well. the vet took a look at the second lump and it is a harmless fatty one, nothing like the first one which she removed completely and we agreed to have it sent for analysis, I will get the results in about a week.

The lump on her back was the first one she's ever gotten so while worrying I don't think it will return and the fatty one on her leg requires no operation as it is possible it will dissapear on its own in time.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm glad to hear your kitty did okay. How is she doing now, though? It's been a month since your last update!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nefretiti

She's doing well :) keeping an eye on the area just in case.
I forgot about updating since noone exept you posted after my last post.

I got some less than thrilling news about the growth after sending the whole thing for analysis, apparently it is malign in a way that it may return on the same spot but chances of it spreading is slim to none, something about nerve tissue. I don't remember everything, lots of complicated latin names and medicinal speech.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it was malign, but at least it sounds like it's isolated. That's always a good thing. Glad to hear that she's doing okay now, though! :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm glad your kitty is doing well :) Some pets are prone to harmless fat cysts / lipomas, which can often be left if they're not impeding anything. I had a couple removed from my labrador over the years. I'm glad that it was benign and you got a good price :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nefretiti

Yesterday on January 29th 2020 my little lady was put to rest :(

Rest in peace my furry angel

Attachments
maemae.jpg
maemae.jpg (120.25 KiB) Viewed 29880 times

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Nef... :hug:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Sorry for your loss :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Nef. ):

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."