Vader. May the force be with him - always.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Vader. May the force be with him - always.

Unread post by Niabi »

I'm devastated to have to share the news that my cat Vader has recently been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease (same condition that my husband has been living with for most of his life).

Although there is no cure for this disease, we are fortunate enough to be in a state where treatment is an option and may slow down the progression of symptoms and improve his quality of his life.

He was admitted into our local pet hospital today for treatment and I hope with all of my heart that he responds favorably. I may consider setting up a donation site where friends and family can help contribute to his on-going medical costs if the treatment looks as though it will prolong his life by a few more years. If not, my husband and I will make the humane decision to have him euthanized before his condition becomes far too unbearable to cope with.

Thank you for allowing me to share this sensitive information with you. I'll post updates as they develop.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Death_Dino420
Petopia Artist
Realm: Emerald Dream, Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Vader. May the force be with him - always.

Unread post by Death_Dino420 »

I really hope Vader gets better! That is very sad D:
May the force be with him, and you, too!

Lovely signature by the great Ashaine!!
Flight Rising | Deviantart | Toyhou.se

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Thank you for your support Death_Dino420. It means a lot to me.

He's responding well to fluids and his BUN and Creatinine levels are coming back down which is a really good sign --- but he's refusing to eat and throwing up bile which is bad. My husband and I will be visiting him again tomorrow so maybe he'll feel a bit more comfortable eating with us around. We'll bring him some shredded rotisserie chicken (one of his favorite foods) and if that doesn't work, I've learned that baby food can be a great alternative for sick kitties. The most important thing at the moment is that we get some food --- any kind of food into his system. I'll also bring along our electric blanket and see if that helps with his pain.

Flight Rising

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

My dear kitty, Anubis, had a very similar liver condition, so my thoughts and prayers are with you! It's always so hard to watch a beloved pet in pain. :hug:

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Tonight, I had to give my final condolences.

Vader was such a sweet and loving soul, nothing at all like his namesake would imply. Anyone who had the chance to meet him instantly fell in love with him. His memory will live on in the hearts of many. I'm only sorry I could not do more.

He was responding favorably to treatment, however, the damage that was done due to his unwillingness to eat was truly devastating. X-rays and ultrasound showed unidentifiable blockages in his abdominal and intestinal cavities which may or may not have been treatable without exploratory surgery. It was not known if he'd even survive the surgery. In addition to this, he was going to need a feeding catheter placed through his neck and many, many expensive rounds of medication and treatment to help keep him going (if we were lucky). My husband and I wanted nothing more than to stop the pain and suffering -- so we took him home yesterday night, allowed everyone to take their time saying goodbye, and brought him back to the vet today for the procedure.

I'll love you always my sweet baby! A piece of my heart will always belong to you.

Flight Rising

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I am very sorry for your loss. I know he is much happier now that he is no longer suffering. And I know that he appreciated all you did for him. Though it is the hardest thing to do... Putting a pet out of their misery and pain is by far the kindest thing you can do.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Siggy under construction!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Thank you for your comments Ashaine and Bowno.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

It's been a few days now and I swear I can still see him sleeping at the end of the bed or perched on the top of the litterbox, pawing my husband for food while he brushes his teeth at the bathroom sink.

I know it was the right thing to do but I miss him so much :(

Flight Rising

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have two kitties myself, and they're pains in the butt but I know I'll be devastated when their time comes. Sounds like you did the right thing for Vader. Even with treatments, that's an awful lot for an already sick kitty to go through. Euthanizing was the most humane thing. <3

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.