The Temporary Herps

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

The Temporary Herps

Unread post by Mania »

Note: 'Herps' is slang for 'herpetiles', a word that includes both reptiles and amphibians. It has nothing directly to do with herpes. ;)

As you may or may not know, Florida -- like many other parts of the country -- is currently experiencing unusually low temperatures. As I type this, the temperature outside my Orlando home is 33 degrees Farenheit, and it's expected to drop down to 26F just before dawn tomorrow. Normal night-time lows for this time of year are closer to 50F.

For my husband and I, the cold is an exciting change of pace -- so long as our power doesn't go out! But for the wild reptiles and amphibians that live in our neighborhood, the cold is rather more deadly. The native species (like green anoles, green tree frogs, and southern toads) fair slightly better than invasive species from Cuba and the Bahamas (namely Cuban treefrogs and Cuban anoles*), but native or not, mortality always goes up when the temperatures drop.

And that makes us very sad.

So over the past week, my husband and I have been bringing in any lizards or frogs that we find -- because if we find them, they are obviously too stupid to find a proper warm hiding spot.

The first to come in was Corpse Frog, a Cuban tree frog. (I should have a picture of her soon. Her name is an interesting story, but I'll save that to go with the photo.) We'd been giving her little treats on the porch when we saw her, which may have been what prevented her from going to ground like a normal frog when it started to get cold. After I saw her huddling on the concrete porch two nights in a row, cold and grey, when she should have been out hunting, I gave in and brought her inside. She's camped out in a screen enclosure between the two bearded dragons.

The anoles lasted a lot longer outside -- they are hardy little buggers! -- but when we found one frozen through one morning we knew it was time to do something. We've tried not to interrupt their lives too much, so right now they are in a dark closet in the cold back room, layered between towels as they might be between leaves outside. This weather is going to continue for several more days, though, before it warms up enough to let the lizards back outside. So tomorrow I'm headed to the pet store to get two 10 gallon tanks (one for the big lizards and one for the small) and a bunch of fruit flies. Poor things might as well have a full belly while they wait.

* That's A. sagrei, not A. equestris.
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Re: The Temporary Herps

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

Question: How are the larger sized lizzards doing.. I.E. Crocks/turtles in the south of Florida?

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I haven't heard much about them, I'm afraid. Although as I said, the native species (as a whole) can survive short cold snaps like this pretty well.

The crocs around here generally head for deeper fresh water (which stays reasonably warm), as do the freshwater turtles. (Actually, some of these, plus manatees, et al., congregate around power plant outflow values. Apparently even sharks and whatnot have been gathering by the power plants in Brevard County this year.)

The land-based turtles mostly use burrows, but I have heard that sea turtles are having trouble with the cold. Apparently they go torpid and can be found floating at the surface. If they are found fast enough, you can warm them back up with no problems, so there are patrols of volunteers out doing some of that.

Keep in mind that I'm in Central Florida, and I haven't been paying that much attention to South Florida temperatures. I'm sure we're losing a lot of feral pythons and iguanas down there ... although some biologists would say that's a good thing.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jangalian »

That's so sad! I like the pythons and iguanas. =*( I think someday I'll get myself an iguana...I had a python, but I got him a new home when I realized I didn't interact with him as much as he needed it.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

*nod* If I were further south I'd be out collecting torpid iguanas instead of anoles. They don't get up this way much, though.

(As an aside, because I always feel compelled to say this: I don't generally recommend iguanas as pets these days. I did iguana rescue for a couple of years before I burnt out, and the little suckers can just be so ... fragile! My top recommendations for easy lizards are bearded dragons and leopard geckos, but even for intermediate and advanced keepers I'd not suggest iguanas. (My own favorites are monitors.) Hmm, unless you're rescuing an adult, I suppose, and absolutely settled on caring for the cow of the herp world.)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's heartbreaking to hear things like this, but you are so wonderful for doing what you can to help. I know I'd be doing the same if I lived in your region. Reptiles have always been a passion of mine. I currently own a uromastyx, blue tongued skink, and a ball python. (I'd have more if my boyfriend allowed it, haha) Along with my plethora of other pets.
koganinjah
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by koganinjah »

yes i agree it is awfull plus im a big reptile keeper my self pimbura python iggy bolens python and 6 carpet pythons :D and 4 gooty ornamental spiders two blue version and two blacks
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

You will all be glad to know that with the warmer weather I was able to return all 7 anoles and 1 tree frog to the wild today!

The anoles immediately scattered, but the frog went right back to her perch on the porch and is apparently waiting for me to bring her dinner now. *sigh*
Vephriel

Awwww! Herps are the sweetest animals ever. ^^ I hope they all fare well now. :)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

*pets the frog* And when is she getting a name? xD

*comforts Mania*

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I like frogs best when they are beer battered, and as for lizards and snakes they taste best when cooked over a spit and basted with lemon and garlic butter. :headbang: The best is alligator tail gumbo.
We don't die. We multiply.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

*glares at Dulanie*

Alligator tail is a fairly common dish in Florida, as is the habit of having stuffed alligator heads on your restaurant wall. Suffice it to say, I don't eat at those places.

(And to put that in context, I have no trouble eating rabbit or dog. I'd love to try human sometime, but it seems pretty unlikely.)
Vephriel

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't think I could ever convince myself to try alligator. :( Crocodiles are my favourite animals, and I respect them too much to eat them. ;_;
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

Sorry if my sense of humor offended. It was not my intention. I am a cajun and have traveled alot and eating things that many "Western countries" would consider disgusting or inhumane. Also I am a card carrying carnivore so if it's an animal I'll eat it. (Humans don't tast good and are bad for you since there are too many preservatives and chemicals in them) My GF also tells me I have a very disterbing sence of humor, and if I gave offence I truely appologize.
We don't die. We multiply.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

This is probably the wrong thread to say that I like turtle soup...

Anyhow, on a trip to China, I accidentally ate a lot of "odd" stuff, the aforementioned turtle soup, and accidentally dog. I know, I know... But trust me, when I got around to asking what it was I was eating, I didn't eat it again.

The really weird thing, however, is that I was actually in one of the more respectable areas, which is why I didn't ask what it was immediately. One of my friends ordered it for me. Now that I think about it, it was probably a mean joke... Suffice to say, now I ask what is in my meals.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

No, no -- I should have put a smiley after that glare. :) People have different tastes and places where they draw a line, and I'd never try to stop you from eating herps unless you were going to do it in front of me (in which case I'd leave) or eat one of mine (in which case you might get hurt). :D

I tend to believe that most edible things are fine food. I just have a personal and very strong distaste for anything that harms reptiles and amphibians.