WoW Petopia Community

A fun place to chat about hunter pets in the World of Warcraft.
Visit the Petopia homepage Petopia Homepage
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum Rules: Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete rules.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Another guest post just went up on the blog! Jessibelle wrote up a great little post about why raiding as a Beast Mastery hunter is no longer ... err ... silly. ;)

As I mentioned in the post, I think this is the first time that the blog has ever had a post on raiding. It makes me feel like a real hunter!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 am 
Illustrious Master Hunter

Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Wow really? Neato! ^_^ I hope you all like it!

JunreiDragcaveMagistreamFlight Rising
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:32 am 

Well written, though you seem to be dissuading people from EJ. EJ really isn't that bad. :/

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 am 

Saturo wrote:
Well written, though you seem to be dissuading people from EJ. EJ really isn't that bad. :/

Not really dissuading. EJ is very confusing for new people. I asked around before typing it up and also was going from my own experiences. If I was dissuading, I would've not linked it or even mentioned it. :3 I made sure to mention both so the casuals and the hardcores can have their sources.

I remember my first time ever gracing EJ for druid information. I was.....lost. Severely lost. I didn't understand all the numbers and min/max things and theories. I didnt know how to decipher wtf I was supposed to use and not worry about. I had to have two people help me figure them out. This was back when I was a brand new raider. Now the hunter forum of EJ could be better than the druid one but still, there's a lot of math involved and can be overwhelming to beginner hunters.

Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 pm 
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Realm: Proudmoore-US, Blackhand-US
My brain melts once you get very far into math at all, so I just skim those parts over and get to the nitty-gritty of what EJ says. XD I do love WHU's pet-spec guides, though!

Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 100 Night Elf Hunter
Rinfala - 85 Pandaren Hunter
Tumblr!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:01 pm 

Ziarre wrote:
My brain melts once you get very far into math at all, so I just skim those parts over and get to the nitty-gritty of what EJ says. XD I do love WHU's pet-spec guides, though!

Mine does too. XD It's hard to find the nitty gritty stuff on EJ depending on what section you're looking at. And yes, WHU has wonderful pet spec guides!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 pm 
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)
Well written and bookmarked for future reference! (Finally broke down and dual-specced Ashaine. Now to grind out those last few levels...)

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm 

Thank you! ^_^ I was praying it would be useful.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 am 
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Location: Grooming my pets by the stable master in the Tauren District.
Realm: Sisters of Elune (Used to be Uldaman)
From a Beast Mastery hunter since creation of the character, thank you a million times over for this Jess. I just wish I could have seen this earlier. I was in a BoT raid for the first time with guildies and had a jerk hunter around who wanted to try to razz me about being BM. Not wanting to cause grief for my guildies and the raid, I bowed out and left the raid after a couple of wipes to Valiona and Theralion. It hurt like heck because I had my spirit beast (Loque) with me along with Jadefang and others. I had not done much raiding yet in Cata and was trying to do my best. Had I seen this before that, I would have linked it to the jerk and told him to buzz off.

I know Blizzard wants to make all the specs able to be used to some extent yet also know BM has been the red-headed stepchild thus far. Good to see I'm not the only one wanting to put the spirit beasts and other exotics to the test in raiding because that's what we like. I will say that I've now been in BWD as well and have helped down Omni and Magmaw with both Loque and others. I don't top the dps chart just yet but can be found in the top 5 on 10 mans. The others being people who can go in there more often and who already have a few raid pieces of gear to help stats.

Just my two cents worth and a ty for the post. It helps me know I'm not crazy for choosing a main spec of BM and wanting to go into stuff with it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm 

Kerafirewing wrote:
From a Beast Mastery hunter since creation of the character, thank you a million times over for this Jess. I just wish I could have seen this earlier. I was in a BoT raid for the first time with guildies and had a jerk hunter around who wanted to try to razz me about being BM. Not wanting to cause grief for my guildies and the raid, I bowed out and left the raid after a couple of wipes to Valiona and Theralion. It hurt like heck because I had my spirit beast (Loque) with me along with Jadefang and others. I had not done much raiding yet in Cata and was trying to do my best. Had I seen this before that, I would have linked it to the jerk and told him to buzz off.

I know Blizzard wants to make all the specs able to be used to some extent yet also know BM has been the red-headed stepchild thus far. Good to see I'm not the only one wanting to put the spirit beasts and other exotics to the test in raiding because that's what we like. I will say that I've now been in BWD as well and have helped down Omni and Magmaw with both Loque and others. I don't top the dps chart just yet but can be found in the top 5 on 10 mans. The others being people who can go in there more often and who already have a few raid pieces of gear to help stats.

Just my two cents worth and a ty for the post. It helps me know I'm not crazy for choosing a main spec of BM and wanting to go into stuff with it.

You're very welcome. I hope you provide the screenshots from here to show that jerkface you ran into that BMs can top the charts. Spirit Beasts are EXTREMELY helpful in BoT, especially in the valiona fight. It's healing intensive and healers will thank you for the help.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:07 am 
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind, Borean Tundra
Yeah! I no longer have to switch to SV to do raids!
And I know those people who say "BM? In a dungeon?" haven't been paying attention to the updates ^_^
Well, the hunter section anyway :3

I'm waiting for you, Eyes of the Beast!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:24 am 

Litlemouse wrote:
Yeah! I no longer have to switch to SV to do raids!
And I know those people who say "BM? In a dungeon?" haven't been paying attention to the updates ^_^
Well, the hunter section anyway :3

Nope! :3 Not unless you're a hardcore raider for min/max...which then you'd go MM anyway for that.

Nope, they havent, which sadly is usually the case.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:41 pm 
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Realm: Echo Isles
regardless of dps u should always go with what your comfortable using or both im bm/survival, also whenever a jerk disses u again u do either /smack, /spit, /threaten, /rasp or all of the above.
i have 25 pets atm and i have a set of pets i never switch out btw we need a remake of the old call stabled pet but changed to switch stable pets so u can choose to use a diff set of active pets

"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:29 pm 

Demonicow wrote:
regardless of dps u should always go with what your comfortable using or both im bm/survival, also whenever a jerk disses u again u do either /smack, /spit, /threaten, /rasp or all of the above.
i have 25 pets atm and i have a set of pets i never switch out btw we need a remake of the old call stabled pet but changed to switch stable pets so u can choose to use a diff set of active pets

Actually, while you should go with what you like, you DO need to bring what the raid needs. Otherwise, you're holding them back. It's better to be a help than a drag.

Eh jerks aren't worth my time typically.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 pm 

Realm: gurubashi
Bm spec'd. H halfus 25 man.
final dps: 65,485.9 - 8.7%

pets used:
Onyx - Worm (for whelps burning)
Borboceta - Moth (final rush and Bestial Wrath stun immunity and interrupt).

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 pm 

lovy wrote:
Bm spec'd. H halfus 25 man.
final dps: 65,485.9 - 8.7%

pets used:
Onyx - Worm (for whelps burning)
Borboceta - Moth (final rush and Bestial Wrath stun immunity and interrupt).

Very awesome. x3

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm 
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Realm: Argent Dawn
My main spec in raids has in the past been either Survival (<- Enjoy surv the most) or MM, but recently our raids have been lacking a shaman or our main BM hunter hasn't been in, so I've switched MM for BM.

I have to admit that the spec feels slightly clunky to me, but I had the opportunity to try BM on Chimaeron HC (10 man) the other night and it was, so far, our cleanest kill on that boss. My first choice for pet was a SBeast, and in his wee heal was great help during the encounter. He stayed in the fight until the last feud, when I brought my corehound pup out for BL.

*The Hunter * The Priest*

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 pm 
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Realm: Currently on hiatus
Jessibelle wrote:
Demonicow wrote:

Actually, while you should go with what you like, you DO need to bring what the raid needs. Otherwise, you're holding them back. It's better to be a help than a drag.

Eh jerks aren't worth my time typically.

But what if they say you HAVE to go MM, even if you lose 5k dps because you don't know the spec as good as the others?

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

erwil wrote:
My main spec in raids has in the past been either Survival (<- Enjoy surv the most) or MM, but recently our raids have been lacking a shaman or our main BM hunter hasn't been in, so I've switched MM for BM.

I have to admit that the spec feels slightly clunky to me, but I had the opportunity to try BM on Chimaeron HC (10 man) the other night and it was, so far, our cleanest kill on that boss. My first choice for pet was a SBeast, and in his wee heal was great help during the encounter. He stayed in the fight until the last feud, when I brought my corehound pup out for BL.

I always pull my SB out for some lovins on Chimaeron. x3

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 pm 
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Realm: Ner'zhul
All I have to say to this topic is that I just out dps'd both a survival and marksmen hunter that know what they were doing >.<

LONG LIVE BM!

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.