Cataclysm Class Information Coming!

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cataclysm Class Information Coming!

Unread post by Mania »

I'm surprised at how ... small? ... the changes to most classes feel so far. Mind you, it's not like I'm all that familiar with other classes, and the warlock's soul shard change is a big one, but ... otherwise it feels more like they are shifting talents about (and storing some of them in Mastery bonuses). I don't know what I expected, though.

I just hope that hunters have some good pet changes in store!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Mania wrote:I just hope that hunters have some good pet changes in store!
  • Hunters: All hunter pets, except for wolves, have been made untamable. In addition, all previously tamed pets will be made unsummonable. Any attempt to summon a non-wolf pet will result in your hunters death, followed by a forced reading of the book Twilight. Any attempt to bypass the Twilight rule will result in the deletion of your account, in addition, your computer will self-destruct.
Good hunt!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Mania wrote:I'm surprised at how ... small? ... the changes to most classes feel so far. Mind you, it's not like I'm all that familiar with other classes, and the warlock's soul shard change is a big one, but ... otherwise it feels more like they are shifting talents about (and storing some of them in Mastery bonuses). I don't know what I expected, though.

I just hope that hunters have some good pet changes in store!
I know I am looking forward to tomorrow :) Well, I hope I'm looking forward to it, because I don't want to dread it. :shock:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I have to agree with Mania. I was really expecting more. So far the healing aspects have just been what I was expecting, with them filling in some holes and giving healers a few more options. Soul Shard's aside, my warlock review was decidedly un-interesting, except for maybe the part about demon-bolt for my demonology spec. Priests were very lack luster, and warriors were almost laughable. ((Not that warriors need a lot, but I was still expecting more. Also, they said that one handed Fury was dead. Guess enough people bitched.)) Then again, these are just the previews. I just hope we get more then "Hunters have been changed to focus, and shots have been changed to use this system." because that'd just be boring.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

It may be that they are cooling it with the major class mechanic changes in order to focus on quests and content. I'd like that.

(But mechanics is usually a different team than content, so this seems unlikely to me. I suppose they might have thrown their mechanics people at content, though -- that's usually better than throwing your content people at mechanics. *grin*)
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

"Hey Mike! You work on quest's and storyline, right?" "Yea, why?" "C'mere and get to work balancing druids." ><

It's kind of hard to say. One possibility is that we are just seeing the classes with smaller changes first, before they unload the classes that have had larger over-hauls. The soul shard removal may seem huge, but it's really just getting rid of a clunky class mechanic and replacing it with an interesting 'boost' system that almost seems more PvP themed then PvE.

My guess is, this is how we are going into the beta, roughly along the lines they are laying down right now. They are calling this a preview, I think it's more of a heads up. To be honest, these are some of the largest changes I can remember hitting WoW, even if I don't see them as being that major. Kind of reminds me of the talent tree reviews they did, way back in vanilla. Threw everything into chaos for a while. *Laughs* So this might just be their way of saying "Don't panic, when you log in, this is what's going to greet you."

My money is on paladins getting a large overhaul this go around. The Wrath changes were roughly in the right direction, but they screwed up in terms of priority and play style. Past the first round of attacks, it's all first come first serve, and that doesn't really make for an interesting time, to be honest.

Of course we know we're getting over hauled. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

They still have yet to put up the DK and Rogue so far. Wonder what the delay is.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

There's a post on the Cataclysm forum that says they are spacing the postings out to let the US, EU, and AU all get their shot at seeing one go up. It's not a blue post, but a Blizzard poster responded to it and seemed to endorse the idea.

Given that, I expected DKs or rogues to be up about 30 minutes ago. *shrug*
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

DK's aren't going up today... At least that's what I got from this Post: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=1

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

The huntress wrote:Ugh I forgot we are going up to lvl 85 man I hate that, so I assume all the gear I am working for right now is all going to be trash when this comes out and I will have to regear all over again :( Man I wish they would stop doing this.
yah but for those like myself who are very well geared killing stuff won't be a problem at all. Will have to change out some glyphs but that's about it.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Rogue preview wasn't really that great.

However...;
In PvP, we want to reduce the rogue's dependency on binary cooldowns and "stun-locks," and give them more passive survivability in return. One major change is that we'll put Cheap Shot on the same diminishing return as other stuns. The increase to Armor and Stamina on cloth, leather, and mail gear will help with this goal as well.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sphax
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist Eu

Unread post by Sphax »

Hunter incoming today !! sooo excited :P

anyone else wanna join me with a bbq while reading the preview?
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

If I'm lucky and it's up relatively early, it might even be waiting for me when I wake up! With my luck, though, we'll be last ...
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Hunter is up: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 6675&sid=1

It has it's own special thread, of course. Discuss it here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 151#p30151
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I didn't mind the rogue preview all that much, Saturo. I thought it was a decent number of changes, though we both know that rogues will probably go insane since they are losing their precious stun lock. Means they'll actually have to FIGHT people for a change.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Aye, I love that little part. Whenever I run into a rogue while I'm flagged, I know that I'm in for a horrid, slow death. Just watching without being able to do anything. Good times.

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:I didn't mind the rogue preview all that much, Saturo. I thought it was a decent number of changes, though we both know that rogues will probably go insane since they are losing their precious stun lock. Means they'll actually have to FIGHT people for a change.
Yah I can't stand that stun lock. It makes them un killable. Even if you break the stunlock with a trinket there is no way you could kill them fast enough so they can't simply stun you again and again. Dirty and cheap way to play if you ask me.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

AdamSavage wrote:
Palladiamorsdeus wrote:I didn't mind the rogue preview all that much, Saturo. I thought it was a decent number of changes, though we both know that rogues will probably go insane since they are losing their precious stun lock. Means they'll actually have to FIGHT people for a change.
Yah I can't stand that stun lock. It makes them un killable. Even if you break the stunlock with a trinket there is no way you could kill them fast enough so they can't simply stun you again and again. Dirty and cheap way to play if you ask me.
Well, yes and no. Sometimes, no matter how hard they try, they still can't kill someone in stunlock. I've had a warrior in the past where rogues get the jump on me and I just sit there and wait til stunlock is over, then they get it handed to them. Depends greatly on gear, class, luck, etc. Sometimes they beat you, other times you beat them back. PvP will never be completely and utterly balanced across the board. Some classes just shine against others. I'm sure you'll hear on more than one occasion a rogue complaining about x class because it broke their stunlock and this and that. ;)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.