Cataclysm Class Preview: Hunter

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Re: Cataclysm Class Preview: Hunter

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Can someone post a link to the Ghostcrawler thing that keeps getting referenced? I'd like to read it but don't know where to find it. Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

All the people freaking out about Focus costs are a bunch of Insta-QQers... They haven't even realized that, while sure it seems like we might run outta Focus fast, the shots STILL have a COOLDOWN!! This means there will ALWAYS be some point where you need to Steady shot/Cobra shot, causing a decent amount of Damage AND refilling their Focus... As much as I've said I hate the Focus thing in the past, I'm actually Impressed with what I see in it. It doesn't appear as if we'll ever hit OOM(F in this case) spots, and it adds a bit of 'flavor' so to speak, to Hunters, because it means a little bit extra Coordinating/timing/Actually managing a character, than just standard shots firing 'til the baddy is dead.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

They forgot to say that we can tame druids.

Blizzard, stop avoiding the subject, it must be done!
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

True, the focus change will make hunters a bit more advanced. Right now it's mostly just "mash this button until the bad guy is dead".

Had a friend over once, whose computer failed to connect. Let her try some random heroics on Saturo. Saw her horrible playstyle, and tried to explain some basic rotations. Didn't work. So I told her "if it's more than three, use volley". "If there are just one or two, spam Steady."

She beat the rest of the group in DPS, a fairly good geared Rogue and a lock in equal gear. Hunters are a bit too easy right now. The focus change will add some strategy into our beloved class, too.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Keep in mind, focus regen will be a bit like energy regen. Rogues and feral druids aren't screwed by jumping around. If our regen isn't high enough in PvP, Blizz will fix it. I'm sure that problem will come to the surface immediately once real testing gets underway, should it actually be a problem.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kalliope wrote:Keep in mind, focus regen will be a bit like energy regen. Rogues and feral druids aren't screwed by jumping around. If our regen isn't high enough in PvP, Blizz will fix it. I'm sure that problem will come to the surface immediately once real testing gets underway, should it actually be a problem.
Exactly. What people seem to fail to realize is that this is just a preview, a small one at that. We haven't even seen a glimpse of what the real beef of the burrito (talent trees, but must use food analogies) will be. There could be a good amount of talents that increase focus regen, decrease cooldown, give you a bonus if you get a crit, or a chance to gain focus on DoT ticks, ANYTHING. At this point we've only seen such a small piece of what's coming down the pipe that making any assumptions is silly. I can't believe how fired up people get over the smallest things. Give it a chance, at least! And the ones that say they're going to stop playing their hunter after only seeing this preview are just...mentally challenged. Complete drama-queens, if you ask me.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

If they quit playing, then I say good riddance. A few less morons in our class.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope

It really comes down to people fearing change.

There are loads of people out there who only play one class. This in and of itself is fine, because it's your game; you choose how you want to play it. The downside to this is that you only have one perspective on how WoW works. (This also applies to non-WoW situations, but that's a whole other argument.) So when Blizzard announced that hunter gameplay will work more like rogues/cat druids, a bunch of people who have never experienced that style of gameplay freaked out.

It's really not a bad change. I'm sure we'll still get to faceroll a bit once we're used to the new rotations. ANYTHING can feel routine after you get used to it, regardless of how complex or simple it is.

By the way, I really like that BM is getting cobra shot. Yes, I know, it's going to be baseline. But let's look at rogues again. Sinister Strike is baseline, yet it's NOT the main ability for all rogue specs. Assassination rogues use mutilate, for example. While other hunter specs will be able to use cobra shot, it will be the bread and butter shot ONLY for BM hunters, due to their talents that buff it.

This is one of those concepts that a lot of hunters don't understand because they've never played another class. All mages get arcane blast, but you never use it if you're not arcane. It's impractical to do so, even though you CAN do it. That's not to judge these players or anything; I certainly didn't know any of this until I'd actually experienced it myself. All I'm saying is DON'T PANIC. :)

YouTube Edition

Kalliope

FuzzyDolly wrote:Can someone post a link to the Ghostcrawler thing that keeps getting referenced? I'd like to read it but don't know where to find it. Thanks.
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=941

That's the Petopia forum thread on the subject, which links back to GC's original post.

This concept may or may not be GC's original idea, but he was the first Blizzard poster to throw the possibility out there, so I for one am extremely grateful to him, since it allowed me to let go of a character I really wasn't interested in keeping/playing, as I'll be able to pick up my pets again elsewhere. :)

YouTube Edition

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I'm pleased, but not overly excited with the changes. Don't have too much to say I guess. I'm waiting for the druid changes since I might main switch come cataclysm to one of my druids.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

Just a couple things I wanna say.
Trap Launcher - YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Bigger Stable - YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Only thing I have to know is HOW much bigger! I need to know if I can retame both the Worms I got attached too! Damn you Jorgen, you were supposed to be a temp pet while I waited for Loque! Why do I miss you so?!

One thing with relation to PVP I've thought of. If Camo will work in conjunction with Cheetah Aspect, we will be even more epic as Warsong Gultch Flagcarriers. >:D
And Orcs should start with bunnies as their pets... >>'

EDIT: And another thing! Would those new pet debuffs still work if the debuff they are similar to are already on the target? That's something I'm curious about.
IE: Hyenas: Will provide bleed damage (similar to a weaker version of the druid ability Mangle). Can the Hyena bleed and the Mangle bleed both be on the target, or will the pet's get overridden?

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I don't think so, Dragon. I think they are supposed to function like the filler that we have now. They'll be overwritten by the more 'pure' buffs, is my guess. Though that is kind of interesting, now that I think about it. We'll be the one stop source for a number of debuffs.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Maybe we need a graphic of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to put up around here when people start freaking out about Cataclysm hunter changes, so that they can read the big "DON'T PANIC" letters on the cover of that book. :D

As for me? I'm tickled by the hunter preview, and I can't wait to see what talents replace our passive bonuses. They just might be able to get all three trees pretty close to each other damage-wise with those.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Kalliope

That reminds me, Tahlian!!!

Everyone caught the note that they're trying to standardize pet damage, right? :D

I'm hoping that the proper raiding pets (aka ferocity) will continue to be the ones with the new debuffs and such. That was what I had said in some other thread....:D

YouTube Edition

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I'm pleased, but not overly excited with the changes. Don't have too much to say I guess. I'm waiting for the druid changes since I might main switch come cataclysm to one of my druids.
I'm with Wassa

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

you can tell the people going crazy over the mana change just don't know the emaning of beta :S
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kalliope wrote:That reminds me, Tahlian!!!

Everyone caught the note that they're trying to standardize pet damage, right? :D

I'm hoping that the proper raiding pets (aka ferocity) will continue to be the ones with the new debuffs and such. That was what I had said in some other thread....:D
Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I don't want my devilsaur to do the same dps as a cat. Why? He's a giant, ferocious, perpetually angry devilsaur that wants to eat your face. A cat sits there and paws at you a bit like a piece of string. Not to mention that if I'm specced BM and go tame an exotic, there should be a reason it's exotic - better than your average pet. I'm not saying they should be vastly overpowered, but slightly better is all I'm asking.

That and if they give certain buffs/debuffs to certain pets where a particular role is not filled on a particular raid night, people are going to still demand you bring THAT pet to the raid. "OMG we need your wind serpent for the elemental debuff!"

Anyhow, we don't know exactly what's going to happen so it's too soon to say, but I will admit I'm a bit concerned. :?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kalliope

DON'T PANIC!

Exotic pets are still likely to come out ahead in the end. Just because they're standardizing regular dps pets, it doesn't mean that exotics will be standardized to regular dps pets.

IN OTHER WORDS: All pets are equal, but some pets are more equal than others.

*bow*

YouTube Edition