Site Blackout Jan 18, 2012

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: Site Blackout Jan 18, 2012

Unread post by Worba »

Yes, the US govt is owned by private industry - that's why the wealthy only avg a 10-15% tax rate whilst low to middle income citizens pay 40-50%.

Oh wait.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Sukurachi wrote:except, in the final analysis, it is NOT the "american government" that is doing this.

it is private industry that OWNS the government that is doing it.
So the Government is there B*tch (not sure how else to say it really) is another way of saying it.
Worba wrote:Yes, the US govt is owned by private industry - that's why the wealthy only avg a 10-15% tax rate whilst low to middle income citizens pay 40-50%.

Oh wait.
You might like this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

AdamSavage wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:except, in the final analysis, it is NOT the "american government" that is doing this.

it is private industry that OWNS the government that is doing it.
So the Government is there B*tch (not sure how else to say it really) is another way of saying it.
Worba wrote:Yes, the US govt is owned by private industry - that's why the wealthy only avg a 10-15% tax rate whilst low to middle income citizens pay 40-50%.

Oh wait.
You might like this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0
Cute - and yes governments do indeed shaft taxpayers. And those with more money do indeed tend to have more influence say on govt policy.

But did you notice what I left out of that statement?

1) The references to the US - because both those statements happen to apply to governments the world over (yes, including Canada).

2) Also, let's be careful of using absolutes - if private industry "owned" the goverment, the rich wouldn't be paying a higher tax rate. More influence <> ownership.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

More evidence of... wait wut? ;)

The WPN video at your link was pretty interesting - if you can stay awake through the interviewee's dry-as-a-tomb speaking manner, it does get to the deeper issues.

Namely that the game, media and entertainment industries (kind of an overlap there, I know) ARE taking a huge bath due to piracy, which feeds into the overall economic situation.

But obviously trying to address the issue by removing the need for due process like they were with SOPA was just stupid as hell.

Still though it's good to hear the basic concerns on both sides of the debate, as I think both have some valid points - for now I think it's best to tag this as an ongoing conversation that hopefully will evolve into something that makes more sense for everyone.

But yeah, glad SOPA (appears to be, hopefully) shot down... and here's hoping C-11 (which seems to be making the same mistakes) goes the same way...
Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

well it seems that anonymous knows what its doing and those that say its too much and uncalled for i say its not enough the death of megaupload should be avenged not only did people widely use megaupload for pirating and sharing(Which is legal) not only that but for the use of storing personal data as well what do we do now rapid share? plz aside from megaupload there arent many places nowadays that dont require registering and surveys that arent free and lead u into a neverending abyss of more surveys which also lead to more surveys if i could get a time machine i would go back in time and prevent the government from doing this and id be considered a national hero and etc and barack obama would personaly congratulate me. i could see it now

Obama: i dont know what the government was thinking but thanks for stopping them from commiting what would be considered a national tragedy with our efforts together we can make a difference YES WE CAN!

but thats not the case so R.I.P megaupload :cry:
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory