Mania's health, and Petopia change of hands

Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Re: Mania's health, and Petopia change of hands

Unread post by Snowwalker »

What can I say but echo everyone else here. This has been my go-to place fur hunter everything since I found it. And you did so much to try and make it that for everyone. You will be missed, that is for certain, but hopefully you can go with an easy mind knowing that Wain is here. Your health must be first and foremost. Hopefully you'll still enjoy peeking in from time to time, esp. as Legion draws near, to read of our tales of hunting prowess. All thanks to your Petopia.

Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

Ugh, of course I'm super late in seeing this post, as I don't frequent the site nearly as often as I used to (and should). So sad to read about her health. I always wondered how she was holding up, and admit I was worried when I saw this post. I'm sending good vibes and healing hugs her way! :hug:

She definitely did leave the site in good and capable hands. It should help her relax a ton in knowing that. So, keep up the good work :)
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Unread post by Carnacki »

Mania never received the recognition she deserved in the WoW community. She's done so much for hunters.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Carnacki wrote:Mania never received the recognition she deserved in the WoW community. She's done so much for hunters.
Really? I'd say being put in the actual game multiple times is pretty good recognition. :mrgreen:

Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

She did, but the community as a whole never really paid much attention to her. At least from my anecdotal point of view. Maybe I'm just forgetting about it.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Petopia is still the go-to hunter reference for WoW. These forums were born out of the comments section on Mania's blog posts. This entire community specifically exists in the form that it does today because of Mania.

It's been some time since she was directly in the spotlight, but any hunter who cared even a little bit about their pets is familiar with her and her work.

I think you're not taking into consideration the shrinking of the WoW community at large, including this subcommunity, over the years. Mania was and is important to the WoW community. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Apparently you weren't here when she was active, only when she was on hiatus. I'm not sure what "community as a whole never really paid much attention to her" means to you but I find it rather insulting. :| :mrgreen:

Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Probably. I've been all nostalgic lately because the majority of my old wow hunter friends no longer play. Plus the new "go-to" hunter guides are written by someone who is frankly as toxic as a superfund site. I'll defer this to you guys and admit my mistake.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'd say you're right in as much as personal recognition is much about how many tweets and blog posts you can get out, rather than the volume of work you did. If most of your work is behind the scenes then people don't tend to associate it with you, even if they technically know it's yours. People always knew Mania and this site but I think you're right that her work isn't proportionately recognised.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

You kidding? Many older WoW players that mained hunters know her. Petopia is a well known to the hunter community too. Some of the older members of Warcraft Hunters Union miss her blog.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I've known and played WoW WITH Mania. Like actually run dungeons with her etc. I know you've not been around Carnacki but it's horribly offensive & upsetting that you'd say no one paid attention to her. She had not one but TWO guilds paying a lot of attention to her. She was our amazing leader after all. As stated she had her blog, Petopia website and these forums.
I joined these forums because of her.
I'm really trying not to be hurt by what you said but it's really tough.

Trust me and what others have said. Just because you weren't around to see anything doesn't mean it never happened or still to this day isn't happening.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Whoa dude. I don't see how you're getting offended over what I wrote.

You can log onto WoW and go ask hunters if they know Petopia, most of them do. Ask them about Mania and they won't know who that is.

Refer to what Wain wrote, if you would please.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

zedxrgal wrote:As stated she had her blog, Petopia website and these forums.
And a website about mounts...
And a website about tabbards...

Manias dedication to the game was or is incredible.
She even refused to delete my account when I left these forums in anger, so nobody could take up my name.

Nope, I think Mania has gotten her share of attention.
At least from people that matter: The hunter community!

Although I'm not 100 % in accordance on how this whole forum has developed over time, I'm still kind of around.
I have to admit, I hoped she'd see me return but then, she has other projects now, of which not not the least is her health.

I'm still tipping my hat in deepest respect for someone with that much dedication. Image
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I apologize. I feel that perhaps the point I was trying to make was missed, so in order to not insult anyone else, I'll refrain from posting on this from this point onward.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Building off of what Wain said, Mania may not be known by name the same way some of the frequent blog posters or other Big Name Fans are.

But.

She's better known than most who don't actively seek the spotlight. That was a side effect that came from her interests/work for the community.

Basically, everyone is correct. It's all about perception.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Carnacki wrote:Whoa dude. I don't see how you're getting offended over what I wrote.

You can log onto WoW and go ask hunters if they know Petopia, most of them do. Ask them about Mania and they won't know who that is.

Refer to what Wain wrote, if you would please.
Part of the offense on my part is I know Mania. I know her first name. I used to have her address etc. So FOR ME the comment hit kind of hard. My part is yes, a lot of folks wouldn't know her by name just what she's created. I did read what Ser Wain said. Please don't assume I didn't. I apologize for sounding attacking. I know that my hurt feelings is no excuse but I do stand by what I said. I apologize though if it upset you.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Naw, I'm just trying to not make too many enemies on the second day after coming back to the forums.
=D
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I think that Mania is well known, especially by hunters. She may not be as "big" of a name as some but she was never one for self-promotion. She didn't and doesn't need to be. Her work stands head and shoulders above. For her dedication and work, she will never be forgotten. Petopia IS Mania.

I also think that saying anything negative or demeaning concerning Mania is highly inappropriate on this of all threads. Also, keep it on topic, Carnaki, please. I understand that was a left handed sort of apology, but let's get the focus back where it should be.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted some things, and I'm sorry for that.
Last edited by Teigan on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Time to stop this particular discussion, please.

I don't believe anybody said anything demeaning about Mania. Stating that someone deserves better recognition is a compliment, not an insult. Please leave it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shadowkaizen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Shadowkaizen »

I am sorry to hear that it has gotten worse for you and I hope that you will find some good days ahead. I have been on this site almost my entire time playing and I have come to think of you as a friend and I am grateful for not only the site that you have maintained but the community and friendships you have helped us find with each other. I wish you the best and just wanted you to know you will always have friends here in this community.

Take care and good days ahead,

-Shadow & Shan'Falore
The shadows are my ally...and so is that large wolf behind you.