Mania's health, and Petopia change of hands

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Mania's health, and Petopia change of hands

Unread post by Wain »

This is a post that breaks my heart to make, but Mania has asked me to.

While Mania has been fairly quiet for the past couple of years, most of you here would still know her. She's been the owner and coder of Petopia for the longest time. While she actually inherited the site from the original creator (Brash), the site as you know it is pretty much all her creation: the product of hundreds (thousands?) of hours of her passion. She's responsible for it being the amazing place that it is.

Many who have read her blog posts will also be familiar with her health issues related to bipolar disorder, which have kept her from being as active in recent years. But probably much fewer will be aware that she has also been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which has apparently been progressing for a while but was only diagnosed about a year or so ago when her health deteriorated further.

Reading back what I just wrote I realize that I better reassure you : in case you think I'm about to say she's dying or something, she's not! But the condition has advanced to the point where she feels she can no longer have any responsibility with regard to Petopia (and her blog, Mania's Arcania, which hasn't been updated in some time). The blog will be shut down, but she asked me if I would take over ownership of Petopia in order to keep it going and I have agreed.

At a practical level I have been maintaining most of the site for some time now. Recently I gained full access to the database, which means I can make corrections and additions much faster than before. So in that respect little will change. I also hope that Mania will be around to field questions from me when she's able, but l'll try not to hassle her too much. But most importantly, regardless of whether she's up to answering questions or not, she'll no longer feel like she has to. Hopefully this will be a big weight off her mind as she worries about more important things, namely her health.

Personally, I've really loved dealing with her over the years. She's always been friendly and patient with teaching me, and has a great sense of humour. I'm really sorry to see her officially step down. I wish her all the best in fighting her illness and I hope she can do so without feeling like anything else is demanding her attention.

Wain
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: Mania's health, and Petopia change of hands

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I'm sorry to hear of her health issues, and I hope she does well in battling them, but I do want to commend her on her choice regarding who will be taking care of the site from now on. While it won't quite be the same, I think you will do an excellent job Wain. She has certainly left the site in capable and loving hands.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I echo what Dew has said. I am terribly sorry to hear of Mania's health issues, and I hope she will continue battling them with success. Hopefully having the load of Petopia taken off her mind will ease her somewhat and she can concentrate on her health. At least she can rest easy that the site has been left in capable, loving and inspirational hands. I don't know what we'd do without you Wain! :hug:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Very sorry to hear about her health. Hopefully, she'll be able to continue to successfully combat it :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

:hug: Hate to hear this. Ainamiss the Hive Queen will forever have a space in all my hunter's stables as a small token of appreciation for the passion she has poured here.

However, theres none better to pass the torch to!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I am so sorry to hear about this. :( I can't imagine how difficult that must be for her, and I hope this does help to alleviate a little bit of pressure. Sending all of the positive vibes her way and I wish her the best. <3

Mania, if you read this, I want you to know how much this community means to me, and it's all thanks to the work you put in to shape and support it over the years. :) I discovered Petopia when I was just a baby hunter starting out fresh in WoW for the first time, and the forums were nothing more than simple message boards, but even then there was a sense of affinity and kinsmanship. This place has been my go-to resource since I can remember, and through all the bumps and changes I've always appreciated this little corner of the internet dedicated to hunters and their pets. I'm very glad to have been a part of it, and very grateful for the opportunity to help for the brief time that I did.

Wain, you've done so much and taken such good care of us, I couldn't think of a better person to hand over the reins to. :) I appreciate everything you've done and everything I know that you'll continue to do, and I'm so glad you've decided to stick with it. I'm positive we'll be in excellent hands. :hug:
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm so sorry to hear about her health issues, but I'm glad she's doing what she needs to do to take care of them. She will be very missed! I, like others, have been using this site for years. It is such an excellent resource and it's how I found my beloved Tetsusaiga (Echeyakee). However, as everyone else has said, I couldn't think of a better person to pass the torch to. We all love you too, Wain!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I am truly sorry to hear about Manias health issues. This site and the community here is such a big part of my l fe. I eill forever be gratefull for the hard work which have and are going into keeping the site as it is. Mania I hope your health will be better :hug: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Wain; I am 10000 % confident that you will/are doing a great job. :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Best wishes Mania. I /we all love you much. Please don't ever forget that and use it to lift your spirits. Know that your petopia family is there for you through thick and thin.

Wain - Thank you so much for all you've done to aid Mania and taking over the site. You're amazing. I know Petopia and it's eFamily are well taken care of. We may be dysfunctional at times but you slap us into line in the kindest of ways. :D

Good hunting lovely Ms Mania. You're in my thought & prayers. Keep on keeping on girl.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that! D: The end of an era. :(

I hope the relief of pressure helps her focus on herself and her healing. <3 Knowing the site's in good hands can only help, right? :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I'm sorry to hear this :C I will admit that I was very scared when I was reading this. I thought you were going to say she had passed on or was passing D: I'm glad that's not the case. Best wishes to her.
Thank you Wain for all your hard work. The site is in good hands in my opinion.

Siggy under construction!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Thank you Mania, for all the memories and for providing a home for all us special souls :) Wain is a great choice. Good hunting!

Attachments
fey darters.jpg
fey darters.jpg (313.81 KiB) Viewed 26290 times
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Oh nooo :( Both of those are no fun to deal with, I'm sorry Mania. Hope everything goes smoothly on the medical side!
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
cerpin
Realm: moonguard

Unread post by cerpin »

I'm so sorry to hear about Mania. Although I'm newer to the forums, I've been using the site as my main pet resource for years, and very much appreciate all of the work you guys do! I hope her health improves and I'm sure she's in all of our thoughts.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

It breaks my heart to hear she's unwell. I remember hearing about her having health problems way back, and I wondered at times how she was. My heart goes out to her and I pray she improves. She created a wonderful thing with Petopia. It's always been more than just a forum.
I know it's alot of responsibility being passed the torch, Wain, but I firmly believe you will do an excellent job. You care, about pets, hunters and people. She's left the site in good hands.

Godspeed, Mania, and good hunting.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I know I'm fairly new here, but since I started playing back in TBC, Hunter pets have always been my favorite part of WoW and Petopia has been my absolute favorite WoW site. I appreciate all the hard work Mania has put into it and thank her.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

My heart goes out to her. She is forever our Hive Queen. I hope that without having to worry about the sites that she can focus more on her health knowing we are in good hands.

Thank you Mania for all the wonderful things you have done for us!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oh...goodness. I'm glad she's not dying, but it's awful she has that problem. Mania, my heart goes out to you. Even with you no longer in charge, you're still a cherished member of this community and always will be.

Wain, congrats on the promotion! Sucks it had to be like this, but I know you'll do a good job!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Thank you for letting us know!

Mania, you'll always be our queen. :) Twice over, now. I'll make sure to /salute you when Legion hits, since you'll be with us always in our Lodge.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Unread post by Kormai »

I don't know if Mania would remember me, or most of you for that matter, Mania's health was already affecting her when I was active on the forums. I completely understand her issues with bipolar, but I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to fight MS at the same time. I sincerely hope everything goes well. *hugs*

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!