**SPOILERS** Patch 3.3.2 & Lich King Video

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

**SPOILERS** Patch 3.3.2 & Lich King Video

Unread post by Mania »

Patch 3.3.2 was pushed to players in today's downtime. The patch notes didn't have anything of especially interest for us pet people, but the client data did include the cinematic that apparently shows at the end of Ice Crown Citadel.

You can see the cinematic at MMO Champion.

I've labeled this thread with a **SPOILERS** warning so you can discuss the cinematic here without disturbing anyone who doesn't want to know yet.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Re: **SPOILERS** Patch 3.3.2 & Lich King Video

Unread post by Zangor »

i really do think we need the option to put a big red spoilers tag on posts

*climbs back up the 4th wall*
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Excellent! Hopefully that's obvious enough for people so that those who don't want to know anything won't come in here. xD

I have mixed feelings overall. Clearly there's going to be a lot more to the fight itself which the cinematic does not illustrate. We're left with just the aftermath, and though we can get a pretty good grasp on what took place, the details during the fight will have much more impact I'm sure.

Anyways, the majority of my thoughts are leaning towards sadness to be honest. Arthas was my favourite lore character. I just loved the entire story that revolved around him, and I was really hoping that we wouldn't kill him. ;__; His death scene was great with the addition of his father's spirit there with him, but I think it was a bit short and unsatisfying.

I'm also really annoyed that neither Jaina nor Sylvanas shows up in the movie. Both of them have a lot of past history with Arthas that should have been focused on during his death. Again, I'm sure they'll touch upon that during the fight, but I would have loved to see 2 versions of this movie - one for Horde side, and one for Alliance, that includes both of them.

Bolvar taking the helm wasn't too much of a surprise (there's been speculations about that for a while now), however his appearance certainly was. It's as if the dragon fire burns through his body now and cleansed the plague from him. Perhaps that's why he withstood Arthas' torture and attempted assimilation?

To be honest I don't quite understand what him taking the helm means. I understand that there always has to be a Lich King in order to keep the Scourge in check, but couldn't Bolvar now use his influence do either a) kill all the Scourge in Azeroth, or make them fight each other to the death; or b) Employ the Scourge to do good things, like aid in the war against the Burning Legion or something.

I don't foresee all the Scourge suddenly being friendly towards us, and though that may be more game mechanics than anything (new players still have to quest through the Plaguelands and Northrend and such), if they are still hostile, then why is Bolvar allowing them to be?

Also, did anyone else notice Ner'zhul's voice when Bolvar spoke? Though he's supposed to be 'dead' (Arthas consumed all the others and he became the true Lich King), I'm pretty sure he still lives in the helm and I fear that even Bolvar will eventually become corrupted and we'll have to fight Lavaman someday.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

nah the voice comes with the cool looking helm....theres always a catch.

as for the result im satisfied with it and we are mentioned in the trailer when bolvar states that tirion AND THESE heroes have other destinies.

also....ALLIANCE RULES!!!! bolvar was part of the alliance so was arthas and even tirion supports varian....alliance get the richest lore moments in game
Vephriel

Arthas is the only Alliance lore character I've ever cared about, and that's mostly because he became a villain.

I find Horde lore on the whole much more interesting and engaging. *shrug*
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I was somewhat disappointed by the end, really, but eh.
To me, it seems a bit odd that Bolvar - who I adore, really - would be the one to take the helm. Seems like it would be more climactic if it had been Tirion, although I wouldn't exactly -want- him to do it.
When I first skimmed through the video, I had to go back and actually watch just to figure out who the creepy flaming body was. How did he get there unnoticed, anyway? *Confusion*
Overall, though, it makes some sense. If you roam Wowwiki, you'll see that after Bolvar dies at Wrathgate, the Red Dragon Queen says (in draconic) that "They must not discover the fate of the young paladin. Not yet." I guess the Bronze flight knew that this would happen and told the Queen? (Unless she learned to tell the future when I wasn't looking...)

Also - more climactic lore for Horde, please! All of the candidates (besides Thrall) where human. Heck, almost all of the people you encounter most in ICC seem to be human, or human like. Sylvanas, Jaina, Varian, Tirion, Arthas - I don't see any trolls in there! Where's the awesome troll hero?

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

*Spots Zangor up at the wall, and throws a small rock at him, hitting him in the face*

My take on this is similar to Zangors. All the powerful characters in WoW have echoing voices. Including DKs, for whatever reason... When Bolvar took on the curse of the Lich King he got all the lichy powers too.

And for no troll heroes, I can tell you this;
There are a lot of troll villains! Be happy!

Horde side lore mostly occured in WC3. And yes, that's sad, since very few WoW players even know what WC3 is. "OMG 3 MAN WAILIG CAVERNS!"
And I'd absolutely love some more lore about the Farstriders, they are my favorite elf faction, yet all they get is a few mentions and a couple of questgivers.
(For general information, they are considered the only "honorable" faction of the blood elves, even more so than the paladins, who are called dishonourable on multiple occasions. The farstriders are the only faction that can be considered uncorrupted (though they still suffer from the blood elves magical addiction.) (And green eyes) (And snotty voices).

And sorry about the face Zangor, it was just a bit of target practice. I swear.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel

Even if you consider the fact that Bolvar's voice becomes echoey, there is a definite other voice there along with his, towards his last words. :3
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

still seems logical that bolvar can resist whatever influence better than arthas because 1) arthas was already corrupt when he became the lich king 2) Bolvar is still able to speak his own mind and tell tirion (and presumably the offscreen heroes) to leave and never return
Vephriel

I'm going to quote what someone else said in a discussion thread on WoW Insider: (pretty much my thoughts exactly)

Anyone else find it rather odd that Bolvar would be speaking in the Lich King's voice at the end there?

The conversation might as well have gone like this.

Tirion: Bolvar, old friend, you make a grand and noble sacrifice for the greater good. Not just for you help in defeating the Lich King, but for now condemning yourself to hold the scourge at bay for all of eternity.

Bolvar: Yes, I...errr....he has been defeated. It was very noble. Please go away now.

Tirion: Wait-a-minute, you're not really the Lich King who's now in Blovar's body due to the crux of your consciousness actually residing in your helmet, are you?

Bolvar: No of course not, that's crazy, you're crazy. Now if you'll excuse me I have evil...I mean good...yes, good...to do.

Trion: Alright then, that's good enough for me. See ya.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

That made me laugh, and yes, I just noticed that voice too. Creepy...

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Veph - Heh-heh.
I'm figuring it's something thrown in to show that Bolvar isn't just a dead guy with a hat now. Besides, you know, the fiery eyes and all that. If he's the New Lich King, he's got to have the right voice, after all.
How would anyone take Arthas seriously if he talked like an average joe? The creepy echo voice -demands- respect.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Hehe, I downloaded an adding that plays Illidans aggro noice instead of the murloc noise. MURLOC DEMANDS RESPECT!

(It was more of a patch... From MMOwned. But still fun.)

Aye, i think the orange eyeglows differentiates him enough from Arthas to show that he isn't just some other evil death knight paladin kickass chuck norris wannabe human. He's cooler than that. Literally...

Khishay
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: US Trollbane

Unread post by Khishay »

I was reading a bit on forums :oops: and it seemed every expected/wanted Tirion to become the new Lich King and/or die. That was just my take from a few random postings of "wut u ecspect lk end 2 b like?"

I think... ALLIANCE GETS ALL THE GLORY! NOT FAIR... Erm, Bolvar makes a nice flamey guy. I just think he should be kept in his little ice cacoon and not come out. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I've had enough undead and such for a few expansions :?

Overall, I liked the end. I was kind of annoyed by Arthas and almost happy he was finally dead... He showed up EVERYWHERE... I don't recall anything else ever being so, erm, publicized?

My Dragon Cave...

Thanks so much to Ket Shi for the signature!

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

I always knew Arthas was a good guy. I almost don't want to kill him.

Also anyone else find what Bolvar said sort of a bad idea? I mean, let's look at LoTR for example. Sometimes the past shouldn't be forgotten. Let's hope the sensibly horde keeps record since the alliance are so apt to forget the entire deal.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

-snickers at the fact Blizz took it down-

Anyways, from what I'm hearing some guilds have at least cleared up to him... I don't want to see him killed within the first day.

I did kind of expect Bolvar to be the next Lich King and I'm quite happy Tirion didn't die. He lives to fight another day, however not seeing any faction leaders. What about Sylvanas? She wanted revenge more then anything against him, she should've been there. Jaina had strong connections with Arthas. (For some reason I'm expecting some kid of Arthas and Jaina to show up sometime... >>)

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

it was bound to happen

there are already losers on lightbringer spoiling the ending in trade chat
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

*Spots Zangor up at the wall, and throws a small rock at him, hitting him in the face*

*Follows up with a piano* :twisted:

also....ALLIANCE RULES!!!!

Also, was it the alliance thats started this whole mess in the 1st place? Just cant leave things be :roll: .

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Sphax
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist Eu

Unread post by Sphax »

Am i the only one who feels sorry for Arthas ?

i pitty him tbh

and if it wasnt to Arthas we would have been dead already
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Sphax wrote:and if it wasnt to Arthas we would have been dead already
Please, explain.