Lower Pet EXP at Max level is NOT INTENDED!

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Re: Lower Pet EXP at Max level is NOT INTENDED!

Unread post by Boven »

I hope they fix it sooner than later, but I suspect it's going to be a long time before they actually get around to it.

I've still got a few pets I need to level up from 77. The most recent project is (or was) the Lone Hunter. I did a few random heroics last night for Bilgewater rep. Ended up getting FoS, Nexus, and Old Kingdom. All of those are fairly low in trash mobs, so less chance for XP. Still, I was sorely disappointed to see that after doing 'em, my pet hadn't even gotten 2 bubbles through level 77. Ugh.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Sukurachi wrote:in the 20 or so minutes it took me to log on after posting the above, I flew around Sholazar and gained an entire level for my pet... from herbing.

I still don't have a good name for him, though. (the dark blue (or is it purple? I'm colourblind) Silithid from deep in that cave in Un'goro Crater. He is incredibly cute, even if he's being a royal pain in the oboe to level... and his constant "thump" sound can get annoying.
How about "Thud"? ;)
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Worba wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:in the 20 or so minutes it took me to log on after posting the above, I flew around Sholazar and gained an entire level for my pet... from herbing.

I still don't have a good name for him, though. (the dark blue (or is it purple? I'm colourblind) Silithid from deep in that cave in Un'goro Crater. He is incredibly cute, even if he's being a royal pain in the oboe to level... and his constant "thump" sound can get annoying.
How about "Thud"? ;)

LOL
what a totally appropriate name!

however, sadly, with this new pet leveling "bug", I will more than likely return to using my already level 80 Spirit beasts.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

TBH I would miss pet leveing if they pet lvled with us automaticlly... levelling pets up gives me a mission, so i feel that im not only griding jp or gear, but that i have a purpose, to get my pretty pets to max lvl :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I might miss it a bit, but I'm sure I'd get used to not having to level my pet.
I've leveled a Warlock to 80 as well, and having your demonic minion level with you is a godsend...err... devilsend... errrr... good thing (sorry Martha Stewart).

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This is not a problem at 85, for the record.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Personally I'd rather have a pet level with me then how it's set up now. It's very very frustrating for me to be doing quests, killing mobs, running random waiting to hear my pet ding then ....................... nothing. I look at their XP and see that in all that time and work they've only gone up maybe a bar. And it doesn't seem to make some other players happy when you enter a dungeon and your pet is three levels lower then you and not gaining at all because the pets dps output is so low.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Kittara
Realm: Stonemaul

Unread post by Kittara »

I have been mining and herbing and i am getting 5500xp rested for each one and my pet is at 0 he is getting nothing I am no lvl 81 and she is 78

will I not be able to lvl her?

ok i just killed 2 mobs in uldum and my pet got 3475 each but when i checked on an herb and a mine that i got 5500 xp on she got none
Kalliope

You won't get pet exp for questing, herbing, or mining, afaik.

YouTube Edition

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Kittara wrote:I have been mining and herbing and i am getting 5500xp rested for each one and my pet is at 0 he is getting nothing I am no lvl 81 and she is 78

will I not be able to lvl her?

ok i just killed 2 mobs in uldum and my pet got 3475 each but when i checked on an herb and a mine that i got 5500 xp on she got none

this is actually VERY annoying.
I dual-box, and before, herbing experience was shared between my toons, and with the pets.
Now, I hesitate to herb, as the amount of experience from it is very significant, and it means one of my toons will be leveling much faster than the other.

Mining, for some reason, never gave me any experience. I don't think they (Blizzard) ever implemented exp. from mining.

Blizzard needs to change herbalism experience so that it is shared in a party. There is no reason for the herbalist alone to get it.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Kalliope wrote:You won't get pet exp for questing, herbing, or mining, afaik.

pets used to get experience this way. (from herbalism... mining was never implemented)
why change it now?

"Step on no pets!"

Kalliope

Sukurachi wrote:this is actually VERY annoying.
I dual-box, and before, herbing experience was shared between my toons, and with the pets.
Now, I hesitate to herb, as the amount of experience from it is very significant, and it means one of my toons will be leveling much faster than the other.

Mining, for some reason, never gave me any experience. I don't think they (Blizzard) ever implemented exp. from mining.

Blizzard needs to change herbalism experience so that it is shared in a party. There is no reason for the herbalist alone to get it.
My rogue is almost 81 solely from mining. Must be bugged for you.

There's no logical reason for a party to gain experience from a solo activity, IMO.

Sukurachi wrote:
Kalliope wrote:You won't get pet exp for questing, herbing, or mining, afaik.

pets used to get experience this way. (from herbalism... mining was never implemented)
why change it now?
Mining IS implemented, so maybe it works for both. My hunter is no longer a gatherer, so I can't check.

If pets DO get exp from any/all of the above, it's probably intentional to keep the hunter and their pet together.

YouTube Edition

zedxrgal

I'm getting XP from mining on my goblin hunter but it appears that my pets do not receive any other that.
None of my other toons receive XP anymore from skinning or anything so I don't know that it ever worked for me. :(

The only think that appears to give my pet XP now is killing mobs and even then it seems to be very very little. I've been paying really close attention to it because I was to see exactly how much they're losing now. After a ton of mobs over the last few nights and dungeon runs my Arc is still at level 77 and only is maybe just before the half way mark in XP to 78 if not less. This is after several nights of hours and hours of play.

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Firstly: It is by no means impossible to level your pet from 84-85. Almost all of my stable now is level 85. People saying it's impossible and will take months are over-exaggerating. I didn't even realise there was an issue here til I saw it posted. Your pet will level in a dungeon run. If you soley quest and do not run dungeons or grind mobs it will probably fall behind, yes, but if you run a dungeon simply bring your level 84 pet with you (one level will not make or break your damage even if you are BM).

Secondly, I'd be very sad if they took pet levelling away. They've removed loyalty, taming quests, and so many other pet things - I love the fact that pet levelling separately of the hunter promotes that pet and hunter are a team, as opposed to pet IS part of the hunter (such as warlocks summoning minions). It also encourages me to do my daily dungeon if I have a pet that requires levelling (lol) because I like to keep my pets with me. If they perhaps traded pet levelling for pet loyalty I'd be less against it, but as it is, seriously, Blizz has removed some of the most important bits to playing a hunter (imo) and removing pet levelling would be the icing on the cake. Classes and specs are already identical enough (I went Surv yesterday for the first time ever, usually MM, and literally just swapped Chimera shot with Explosive, Black arrow with Arcane, put Arcane where aimed used to be and cobra for steady - insta learn respec!).

Stop stripping hunters of everything unique to their class. Even with the bug pets take very little to level. And without it they take even less.

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

At 85 It is only taking me three dungeons at most to level a pet from 82 to 85. Right now I'm only taking 3 pets out with me because I'm camping the Twilight rares, but I've only got 3 pets total now that aren't 85.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
zedxrgal

Where this is an issue is for the folks who do not have Cataclysm. So they cannot run the same dungeons and questing lines that give max xp at capped. So it is, in a sense causing the pet or even the player to level extremely slow. Before the new xp system I could go into a LK dungeon and get my pet up at least one level before it was out because of the amount of XP obtained from killing mobs in there. Now my pet is STILL at level 77 and only 50% to 78. Instead of getting 500+ XP per mob kill I'm getting about 100. Maybe less depending on the mob. Maybe it's broke???
But Blizz has already said if you want the XP you have to run the areas /dungeons for certain levels. If your at 80 and don't have Cata you're not getting even close to leveling XP and neither is your pet.

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

zedxrgal wrote:Where this is an issue is for the folks who do not have Cataclysm. So they cannot run the same dungeons and questing lines that give max xp at capped. So it is, in a sense causing the pet or even the player to level extremely slow. Before the new xp system I could go into a LK dungeon and get my pet up at least one level before it was out because of the amount of XP obtained from killing mobs in there. Now my pet is STILL at level 77 and only 50% to 78. Instead of getting 500+ XP per mob kill I'm getting about 100. Maybe less depending on the mob. Maybe it's broke???
But Blizz has already said if you want the XP you have to run the areas /dungeons for certain levels. If your at 80 and don't have Cata you're not getting even close to leveling XP and neither is your pet.
Ah, I see. That would definitely be a problem. I hope it's hotfixed soon, then :)

rokkitan

Unread post by rokkitan »

I do wish pets would level with us, as I've always felt it's based on luck if your pet needs to be leveled or not. I have had multiple pets since level 30 pre tbc, so I have experienced loyality, different leveling speeds, diffenent number of pet slots (3!) and pet skill training. The need to level the pets is now even worse with the large stable, but I do love the stable still. At least we don't have to level a low level pet all the way now; that was really boring.

If we want bonding to avoid just throwing pets away and taming new ones re-introduce loyality (but please not loyality loss) and e.g. make it reduce damage until you're at max loyality so one need to spend time with the pet before getting max use out of it in instances and raids. I also feel feeding of pets for increased happiness is a bad mechanic and we've gotten the glyph and pet talents as band aid for it, but that is a larger task if they want to remove it.

PS. XP in instances are much better than outside, so if you can get away with a lower level pet it's a much faster way to level them.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I am not sure but I think the exp has been fixed. I was trying to level a lv 80 pet in randoms one day and in the full Lost city instance my pet went up one level, a few days later I was running that instance again, and my Ultima (loque) went from lv 80-83 in the run. Anyone else notice this?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Makoes wrote:I am not sure but I think the exp has been fixed. I was trying to level a lv 80 pet in randoms one day and in the full Lost city instance my pet went up one level, a few days later I was running that instance again, and my Ultima (loque) went from lv 80-83 in the run. Anyone else notice this?
I don't think people have been having issues leveling pets that are level 80; rather, the issue has been level 80 hunters who don't have Cataclysm trying to level pets up to 80.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!