Ghostcrawler on Beast Mastery Hunters

Saturo

Re: Ghostcrawler on Beast Mastery Hunters

Unread post by Saturo »

That sounds like something he'd say, yes...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Sukurachi wrote:Isn't he the same person who heavily implied that only a level 80 toon was a "legitimate" toon?
This is Blizzard's mentality in general. Certainly since BC, Blizzard's focus has been on the endgame aspects of WoW. Everything builds up to the options available at max level, which is why they've done more and more to cut down the amount of time spent leveling. This is a natural progression of the game's aging, since the people who have been playing for five years have (in theory) seen it all and done everything, so that's who Blizzard's trying to keep entertained. Of course there's still the hooks for new players, but they need to keep their longtime players happy too. And besides, they can see how the game's developed even more easily than we can, since they see all the inner workings as well. (No amount of complaining on the part of the playerbase makes up for that kind of full and complete access; some people act like they know ALL of what's up Blizzard's sleeve, but they can't possibly.)

The theory with their current design is that "even a casual" can get to max level and see "the end of the game." Whether you're actually on the front lines fighting Arthas or not, you can feel like you're pretty damned close.

I don't think Blizzard is as focused on giving the truly casual players as much to do anymore (the comfortable insoles come to mind). You guys get the spillover of all the RP built into daily quest hubs and the world at large. I'd say more than anything that this keeps Blizzard "honest" in terms of developed storylines, but that's about it. You all are doing fine at entertaining yourselves in a virtual world with lots of eye candy and a few toys scattered around. I suppose the achievement system is more geared toward giving players with time on their hands something to do, but casual players don't really NEED it. Y'all are happy enough just to be exploring and hanging out. There's a place for that too, of course; it's just the idea that you don't need Blizzard holding your hand for that so much.

Blizzard just isn't as focused on the journey anymore. They throw all that in at the beginning of expansions and in the development of zones. Then it's all endgame from there.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Mesc
Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Mesc »

I fail to see what the problem is what that mentality but that's the point of an MMO - giving lots of "end game" content to keep you hooked. It seems to be working out pretty well with the subscription numbers...

If you'd rather not see the end game and kill boars in the woods that's up to you. :)
Kalliope

It's NOT a problem. ;)

It's just the idea that if people expect that characters who aren't max level are going to be considered anything more than second class citizens....well, they're going to be disappointed.

YouTube Edition

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

MY point regarding this is that ANY character that a paying customer creates, is a legitimate character.

It isn't Ghostcrawler's duty to decide which of my 24 toons are "legitimate" or not.
I spent months working on each one (years, actually), even if they aren't all level 80 uber-killer toons.
But I have almost every craft capped or near cap (actually, I have only one craft - Blacksmithing - that is below 400, and only BARELY below) on some toon or other.

The reason I brought this up was that GC was the one who said that players with no more character-creation slots only had to delete their extra toons, since they weren't "legitimate" anyway.

And being level 80 should NOT be the "be all and end all" of a game that contains this much material. Crafting, collecting, completing all quests, achievements, etc... not to count all the classes and races which have so many unique aspects, a leveling experience that is different for every one. There is enough material to keep you going for a long time without ever making it to level 80. For many players - and I know I am not alone - the journey is more than half the fun.

Oh, and I never suggested that anyone keep killing boars in the starter zone for years on end. Way to exaggerate in the wrong direction.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

I normally agree with this guys, but I have one big problem, he referred most bm players to bad arcane mages.

Ok, one of the best dps range class and spec against the worst dps spec of all classes? Apples to Oranges.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Sukurachi wrote:And being level 80 should NOT be the "be all and end all" of a game that contains this much material. Crafting, collecting, completing all quests, achievements, etc... not to count all the classes and races which have so many unique aspects, a leveling experience that is different for every one. There is enough material to keep you going for a long time without ever making it to level 80. For many players - and I know I am not alone - the journey is more than half the fun.
This is actually why, after playing for almost five years at that point, I was fed up with the game and quit for a long time. End-game was frustrating and monotonous. Raid raid raid raid daily daily daily daily raid raid raid. Level 80 is not as exciting to me as the previous 79 levels. Yeah, I could do achievements, but to me that's just...fluff. It's like grunt work at work. Sure, I could file papers for four hours but I could be doing a lot more with my time than that. I did end up coming back, but I haven't stepped foot in a raid on my main, nor do I care to. I'm sure ICC is fun and all, but I'm so fed up with the raiding scene right now (GS /flexepeen) that I prefer to do casual dungeons and quests with my friends. I almost wonder what I'm going to do once I hit 80. I think I'm going to save all my low-level quests until I'm 80, and then do them. It'll be far more satisfying than doing the same thing I've been doing the past three years. :roll:

So I agree with you, Sukurachi.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Edrawr wrote:(GS /flexepeen)
Don't forget "link achiev or no invite".
"But I know the encounter, I've seen it on youtube and I can recite it perfectly from wowwiki!"
"no achiev no go"

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ugh, yeah...end game raiding seems like too much stress for not a lot of enjoyment.

I'd love to run some of the stuff even just once, but honestly it would mostly be for the lore content and seeing the instance itself. I'd be perfectly content to wait and run things an expansion later so that they're 'easy-mode'. xD The experience alone is all I would take from it. :)

And I agree, the whole gear score thing has become ridiculous.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Saturo wrote:
Edrawr wrote:(GS /flexepeen)
Don't forget "link achiev or no invite".
"But I know the encounter, I've seen it on youtube and I can recite it perfectly from wowwiki!"
"no achiev no go"
They never believe me when I say it's my alt. C'on, not everyone has 1 character with 15 kills of every F'ing boss.

Oh Veph, you may want to censor that image.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Choosing the end-game raiding experience is also a legitimate choice. I don't want anyone to feel unwelcome here. ;)

But I agree that Ghostcrawler appears to feel that end-game raiding is the only legitimate choice, and since Ghostcrawler is the speaker that we hear, and since Blizzard's development does not appear to contradict that, then that is what we have to go on.

This is a deep topic, though, and probably deserves its own thread.

(As an aside, if I were his producer I'd have him muzzled. But I applied for that spot and they turned me down. *sigh* Possibly because I've said things like that publicly, I suppose ...)
Vephriel

Oh yes, I didn't mean to give off the impression that anyone who raids is bad or anything. ^^ I fully understand that way of playing (my boyfriend used to do nothing but raid, however he got burnt out from it eventually), and I can definitely see why people enjoy it.

For me, though, I just don't think I'd cope very well with that sort of commitment, so I commend those who do. :D
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Ugh, gearscore. It crept up on me one day when I was working on my main shaman. Never heard of it before, was explained what it is... sounded SO stupid. It's not too terribly-/CUT RANT

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Hrm. Here was a point brought up on the tkasomething forums, where I stick my nose in from time to time but very, very rarely post.

Perhaps they've changed the damage bonus on Ferocious Inspiration from Arcane Shot to Steady Shot as part of a series of changes to bring the Beastcleave PvP teams under control - so that they can give beast masters back more of their PvE DPS, since they've said that the PvP power of the spec is what made it so difficult to buff BM to be competitive with the other two trees.

Maybe? Maybe?

/crosses fingers and hopes

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Kalliope

The gearscore crap is ridiculous. If you LOOK at a player's gear, you can usually tell where it came from and how they got it, which means more than the numbers. I refuse to get that mod or get caught up in all that.

I will say this again: just because Blizzard and a portion of the playerbase are focused on the endgame aspect of WoW, it doesn't mean YOU have to. I know people who have played for ages and have 80s of every class and have maxed all available professions on some toon or other. EVERYONE PLAYS DIFFERENTLY. As was already said, if you don't care about getting to 80 and prefer focusing on the journey, more power to you. There's PLENTY of stuff to do on the way up.

Bad word choice on GC's part, but it DOES reflect quite strongly where the focus is on the development side.

YouTube Edition

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Tahlian wrote:Hrm. Here was a point brought up on the tkasomething forums, where I stick my nose in from time to time but very, very rarely post.

Perhaps they've changed the damage bonus on Ferocious Inspiration from Arcane Shot to Steady Shot as part of a series of changes to bring the Beastcleave PvP teams under control - so that they can give beast masters back more of their PvE DPS, since they've said that the PvP power of the spec is what made it so difficult to buff BM to be competitive with the other two trees.

Maybe? Maybe?

/crosses fingers and hopes
I like you, Tahlian, we seem to be on the same page (just that I'm usually quiet about it). :D Not that it makes a difference who I do or don't like (though there isn't anyone on this forum that I don't like)...anyhow, I digress.

I personally don't want BM to be the best spec of the three. I don't want it to pwn in PvP, either. I just want it to be like DKs where all three specs are accepted to raids. I'm not asking to be over-buffed and overpowered. I just hate to see my favorite spec treated as noob trash. I've loved BM ever since I picked up a hunter five years ago, and it's sad to see it so horribly underused. :(

And I don't think I added a single constructive thing in this post, lol. Oh well, just felt like putting in my two cents' worth. :roll:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel

Edrawr wrote:
I personally don't want BM to be the best spec of the three. I don't want it to pwn in PvP, either. I just want it to be like DKs where all three specs are accepted to raids. I'm not asking to be over-buffed and overpowered. I just hate to see my favorite spec treated as noob trash. I've loved BM ever since I picked up a hunter five years ago, and it's sad to see it so horribly underused. :(
So much this. ^ :D
Daetur
Realm: US- Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Daetur »

If pets built up combo points, or Kill Command acted like a Conflag, or something where the hunter had to react, then more pet damage wouldn't be so bad (though the risk of death doesn't go away).
You mean like it used to be where it was triggered by crits and we had to CLICK on it when it popped up? :|
Kalliope

Vephriel wrote:
Edrawr wrote:
So much this. ^ :D
^
This.

Unless something overpowered like beastcleave comes along (and really, other hunter specs work out better in the long run), right now, BM is pretty much the definitive soloing and ZOMGSHINYPETS spec. It really shouldn't be this way. :/

YouTube Edition

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I agree that GS is way too out of control. I do think it could, COULD, be used correctly, but it isn't, and probably won't be by the majority... as it is, a few of my guildies were running 10m VoA, but had to PuG a few spots. In the HUGE mess that PuGing is, we ended up one too many dps, and one too few healers... First thing to come out of this '1337 uber-pwn' DK's mouth was 'Gim has the lowest GS, drop his noob a*s and find a healer...' He didn't even BOTHER to see that the run was with the guild I WAS IN! It was funny too, as soon as he said that, all my guildies in G-chat go, 'Drop the DK, that was a dumb move on him', so it worked out in the end, but the fact that he didn't even bother looking at my guild tag before whipping out GS was rather annoying.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael