Massive Stealth Nerf To Hunter Traps

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Massive Stealth Nerf To Hunter Traps

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Issue:
I can no longer trap more than one target at a time with Freezing Trap as I could prior to Tuesdays patch. I do not see this change reflected in the patch notes, nor have the tool tips been updated to possibly reflect only being able to trap one target at a time. I am survival specced into trap mastery and I do not have the glyph of freezing trap. Bug reports have been launched on forums. I am seeking a response, is this intentional or will it be fixed?
Game Master (GM) Response:

Hey There Advena!

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department.

The issue is not considered to be "broken" and should be functioning normally. If you feel that the functionality should be different, then please visit the World of Warcraft Forums (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum) and post a suggestion or discuss this issue with others. The forums are regularly monitored by the World of Warcraft development team.

Thank you again for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your experience in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,
Serathylen
Game Master
Blizzard Entertainment

Sapperwix
Quality Assurance

This is intended, you can only have one target frozen at a time with freezing trap.

The detailed combat log tooltip mentions this, the spellbook tooltip will be updated in an upcoming patch.
This is a sad day for hunters everywhere... a very sad day indeed :cry:

Here is another article written on it also... http://lakonism.blogspot.com/2011/02/wh ... ed-or.html

Mod Edit: Adding a link to the blue post on the subject (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ?page=5#91)
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: Massive Stealth Nerf To Hunter Traps

Unread post by Gimlion »

This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I.. Actually didn't even realize that you could trap more than one. Because I'm a nub. So... this is working as usual for me. >.<
But, I kind of see some reasoning behind it. To other classes it looks a bit OP.
But I can't say much, again, because I never used it. >.< Sorreh.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

What??? But! But! This actually really makes me sad, my trapping skills to bring a bad pull under control is something I've always prided myself on. Why on earth? Another "boohoo hunters are too OP in PVP, nerf them in PVE" change? :(

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I only thought we could trap one at a time as well. Makes sense that they'd stop that double trapping though. I mean, we have traps, pets and kiting as our CC, and briefly scatter shot, so, having two trap CC's is rather OP

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Sarayana wrote:What??? But! But! This actually really makes me sad, my trapping skills to bring a bad pull under control is something I've always prided myself on. Why on earth? Another "boohoo hunters are too OP in PVP, nerf them in PVE" change? :(
I'm not sure why anyone would seriously QQ about hunter PvP as it stands now... We're a bit of a joke from what I understand... *sigh*

This may be a PvP nerf, but it's a PvE nerf to everyone who uses a Well-Trained Hunter in their core group for raiding, and anyone who gets a decent Hunter in the Queue... I won't be surprised if this causes mass uproar throughout most of the raiding community, as I don't see how any raider would want one of their CC's to be nerfed, regardless of 'OP' and 'Class Balance'...

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Um...we only could trap one at a time...o.o;

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Taluwen wrote:Um...we only could trap one at a time...o.o;
That's not true... We were able to chain trap.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I never could. If I tried, whatever was trapped before was untrapped.

Aka, you never could use frost trap on multiple targets.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Gimlion wrote:
*nod* Ice Traps last for one minute, but the cooldown is only 30 seconds. You could place one, wait until the cooldown was up, then place a second.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Makoes wrote: I only thought we could trap one at a time as well. Makes sense that they'd stop that double trapping though. I mean, we have traps, pets and kiting as our CC, and briefly scatter shot, so, having two trap CC's is rather OP
In which warlocks can pretty much do also, some better and some worse, but still do.... oh but then banish and fear have no cooldown.

Makoes wrote:so, having two trap CC's is rather OP
I get what your saying, but what your calling OP is on a 30 second cooldown, has a travel (if you use trap launcher) and set time, and breaks if you sneeze at it.... I'm not saying that we should be able to trap 4 targets at a time, but if you can manage your cooldowns and placements, etc. being able to trap two at a time is not all that OP.... remeber if you sneeze near them they will both break at the same time too :)

­
­
­
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

This video should be proof that you could trap multiple targets. This guy is a god at soloing however. There are several parts where you clearly see 2 trapped targets. Skip the first 2 or so minutes, as it's RP heavy.

http://femaledwarf.prettypls.com/pve/hu ... acle-video

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

This was previously reported the day after patch on the solo farming Stonecore drake thread here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8364

I figured the freeze traps weren't "working as intended" and so I was pretty desperate to get the mount prepatch, and sure enough it got changed. Would've been nice if it had been in the patch notes since I found out the hard way running around Tol Barad with several crocs chasing me : )
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Vephriel wrote:
Gimlion wrote:
*nod* Ice Traps last for one minute, but the cooldown is only 30 seconds. You could place one, wait until the cooldown was up, then place a second.
Pretty much, but one would have to place the trap and wait for the cooldown, pull mob or drag into the 1st trap, trap goes off and then drop the 2nd trap, and pull 2nd mob into it. You were never allowed to have more than one trap on the ground at a time or it would cancel the 1st... but it you planned ahead you could set trap, wait... trap, set trap, trap, eg. Having 2 mobs on ice at the same time ;)

So for all that work, not all that OP. It's not like you can do all that while you have 3 mobs/players running around hitting you, you simply don't have the time to be able to unless you plan it.

­
­
­
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

I recall back in early BC you could actually LAY more than one trap (the first wouldn't disappear when you laid the second). There was some pretty crazy cc you could do if you played the survival talents right, but you did lose some damage for it. I distinctly recall being able to control 3 targets for a considerable amount of time. Then, I think, they made that change where you couldn't lay more than one, and I think something changed with the cooldowns because I remember a time I couldn't trap more than one even if I waited for cooldowns.

I dunno... I think it's a silly nerf. We're talking about a CC that can't be reapplied easily if it's broken early, due to cooldowns and such. It's not like sheep or shackle where you can just recast it... even if there's damage or it's being broken constantly/dotted, you can chain cast sheep/shackle and keep something under control temporarily. If someone cleaves or tab targets wrong on a trap, then it becomes tricky to juggle some mobs for 30 seconds and get them into a new trap.

I've always felt that if someone were talented enough to fully maximize chain trapping/multiple chain trapping, then more power to them.

Pvp really should be a nonissue... traps last 8 second and can easily be dispelled.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I was wondering why my first trap disappeared. :/ Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

I wonder if the troll hunter who soloed most of H VP got this highlighted....not intentionally, of course. The timing seems awfully coincidental.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Kalliope wrote:I was wondering why my first trap disappeared. :/ Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

I wonder if the troll hunter who soloed most of H VP got this highlighted....not intentionally, of course. The timing seems awfully coincidental.
That and hunters are soloing Mags...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLklH5tFom8

And the Whale Shark... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7RwPwGrek

And Ony... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPO2pjCktxQ&feature=fvst

And Kil'Jaeden... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd_oo18i ... re=related

Oh and Malygos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALBL934 ... re=related

Oh and we can't forget Kael in the eye...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMPYIs7yMA

I'm not too sure weather our traps are the problem or that these soloing hunter gods are just making the rest of us out to be a full 25 man raid team. :) I am not denying that these guys are simply amazing in their feats of strength, but other classes see these and scream big buckets of QQ because they can not do the same (hell I might be only able to pull off 1 or 2 of these on a really good day and I'm supposed one of these OP hunter class types too <.<) The time will come when all that old content will become trivial due to gear and lvls, but when they are 1st broken solo by a single class, the big green eye of jealously will still come out.
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

­
­
­
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Well, some of those fights aren't gimmicky for hunters due to multiple traps, but yeah, point well taken. ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

IF it was because of extreme soloing, it was more likely because of VP or Stonecore than any of the older instances, even wrath ones. It would be something hypocritical of Blizzard if they made the change because of people soloing outdated content - they have said in the past many times that past expansion content is of no priority. They have used it as a reason to delay fixing bugs in old instances (naxx40 sapphiron ice blocks and naxx40 heigan falling through the floor come to mind, along with razorgore which has been buggy forever and a day now). Worst they have done is lower the gold drop.

And it's not like hunters are the only ones who can do extreme soloing. My protadin could solo every wrath heroic short of occulus and the first boss of UK (which was soloable, I just never bothered to get the FR for it). I could solo Tidewalker in SSC. I could solo Heigan. And Pretty much any level 60 content short of a few gimmicky fights like Twin emps and Cthun. DKs could solo a ton of things. I have a warlock friend that solos ZA as well as Lurker. Let's not count the classes that have been soloing all or part of MC and, before they removed it, ZG.

So I think it's something beyond that, though I don't know what. It's possible they got up in arms about a heroic being solo'd, since they make a big deal over how heroics should be difficult. But I think it's something they've either had their eye on forever and just haven't done yet, or there's something more that we're not seeing.

Not putting a pretty significant change like that into the patch notes was pretty lowball of them though.

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

noticed this while trying to trap two mobs in a dungeon.
Sad day.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so