Can anybody recommend any good EU realms?

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Can anybody recommend any good EU realms?

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

Hey there, so some of you know me for my goblin hunter, Lyxia Sharpshot, in the US Petopians guild, and some of you may know me from these forums here. Unfortunately, in the last few years I have not been active in either. :(
I started playing WoW when I was about 14, introduced to the game by my cousin, (who incidentally is about to finish her master's degree in Digital Effects at Bournemouth University, and I am ridiculously proud of her) who played on EU Azjol Nerub. I remember that my first character was a Tauren Hunter, named Yalocin, and I had no idea what the f*** I was doing. :lol:

Later, when I was about 16 or so, I became good friends with a guy at my school called Frederick. He also played WoW, but he played on US realms. Since I was playing on EU realms, and we wanted to play on the same server, he persuaded me to buy the game and expansions all over again, and I again rolled a hunter, this time a blood elf named Alyssia. About a year and a half on, I had made good friends on the server, I liked my guild, and I had fun with my friend Freddie. Then the two of us fell out, and I lost my love for the game. I deleted all my characters, and took a hiatus, for about two years, and of course when I came back to the game everyone I knew had either quit or transferred to another realm, and my server was incredibly quiet.

Since then i've had played WoW on and off, mostly off, playing for no more than a couple of months at a time. The problem is, now all of my characters are on separate realms, and I no longer know anyone on any of those realms. I don't stick to a guild very long, because I have no relationship with any of my fellow guild members. Most guild are either totally focussed on raiding, too inactive, or only exist for the sake of guild benefits.

I've decided that I want to play WoW again, starting in October, but I need to make some major changes for that to happen.

The only people I know who play the game US anymore are you guys, and one friend who keeps switching realms.
However, most of my characters are on US realms, including my level 90 night elf druid, a level 80 blood elf death knight, a level 60 blood elf warlock, and a level 50 goblin hunter. If I were to continue playing on US servers, I would have to pay for at least 3 realm transfers.

On EU servers, however, I know that my cousin is considering playing the game again, and her boyfriend plays is at the moment. I also have a couple of friends that play on various EU servers, and I know that if I meet more people that play WoW, the chances are that they will play EU, since I live in the UK. Additionally, since I live in the UK, raids and general activity would be more likely to happen at a time when I am actually awake. I'm studying to become a teacher, so my sleeping routine is incredibly important. I can't afford many late nighters for real life, let alone to raid! On my EU account I already have a level 80 blood elf warlock, and a couple of low level characters. However, if I were to start playing again, I would be preordering Warlords of Draenor, and could easily use my level 90 boost to recreate my US druid.

The problem is that all of my beloved mounts (I have grinded, done mount runs, and spent real cash on these mounts, many of which I would sorely miss), achievements, tabards (I spent months grinding for my tabard of the sha'tari skyguard- It was AGONIZING.), vanity pets, and such would be lost.

So, my question to you all, is what do you think I should do? Should I continue to play US realms, or should I switch to playing EU realms?
There are Pros and Cons to both, so I am completely torn as to what I should do. I have avoided using a poll, as i'd quite like for replies to explain why they think I should pick US/EU (delete as appropriate).

UPDATE: I will be choosing to play on EU realms, however I have no idea which server to choose. Does anyone have any suggestions for an EU realm?
Last edited by Nikrosnil on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: Advice needed: Should I play US or EU realms?

Unread post by Krysteena »

Welcome back to WoW, where RNG hates you and pandas have taken over the world!

It's whatever you feel comfortable with I'd say. Would you rather start from scratch, with not much gold, no mounts or pets or vanity items? Does the concept of starting form rock bottom interest you or make you want to turn away? Once again, it depends. If you'd like to start again, then EU is good. If good old US is what you like, stick with it.

Just to let you know, if you do go EU and horde side, I'll happily help you get whatever mounts you used to have and level up a little too. I also am in a lovely guild who, while they raid often, accept many social players. If you did want to go horde side EU (Terenas, mind you) they'd be happy to have you. They took me in, after all. However, PG 13 rating becomes none existant after 9:00pm and don't call Mike Micheal. He stuck someone on ignore for that :lol:

The guild is a good old laugh, but I won't push you over to EU. If I was you, I'd stay US. Then again mounts influence me more than I think is healthy. Why do you think I rolled shaman pandaren? For leatherworking and a wolf mount XD however, shatari skyguard (those dudes with the rays if I'm correct) rep is a little easier to get now. It just requires a day or grinding out reputation. Then again, that was when I was 85. 90 would be the tiniest bit quicker. Not much. You'd one shot mobs even at 85. Good old 15 level difference :mrgreen:

Edit--added a greeting. Mustn't forget manners now can I? Also, I agree with mister down below. Sleep is good :D
Last edited by Krysteena on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

First of all, welcome back! :)

I can see that there are some problems there. But I think it all comes down to what you feel is the best yourself.
I know it takes an insane amount of time to get all those mounts, achievements and so on, but if the sleep thing is the most important to you, I'd say go EU.

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Welcome back to WoW

I recently returned to WoW after a whole year break. i desided to go back to Tårnfalk because i HATE grinding.

My husband however desided to start from scratch because he loves to grind.

We had a deal between us ... we dont talk to other players and we only group with eachohter. This makes somethings impossible to get but we are willing to let go of those things in order for us being able to be happy with the game and not have the game run our life.

It is all what is important to you and how you feel WoW would be worth playing. After comming back and being more relaxed about the game it feels better.

I love to play hunters and tame pets and makeup pet stables ideas and themes.. The hubby looooooooooooves to collect minipets and grind mining. We are all different.

Value what you like the best and play that way :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I personally would stick to US so you don't lose everything. Welcome back though!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

That's pretty disappointing your mounts and achievements and everything won't cross over. But all the good reasons for playing are the reasons you list for a EU realm. A 5-8 hour difference in scheduling (to your disadvantage) would seriously impede your ability to both enjoy the game and live your life. Mounts, achievements, and pets are all great, but some of them you can rebuild. And for those that you can't, there's always a slim chance down the road that Blizzard will make it so you can merge those over.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, it's a great shame they haven't worked out some sort of transfer system between US and EU yet. The two regions aren't all that different. I think there are only a few things one has that the other doesn't, and most are old and rare.

While I'm not going to advise you either way, at least your US toons, with all your achievements, will always be there. So if you decide to test out the EU and then change your mind, you can always go back!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Doc Privas »

Welcome back! :)
If you achieved a lot on the US realm I would stay there (but only if you have stuff like the Zulian Tiger or the retired proto drakes), otherwise I would switch to EU. You know, chance to meet other players from your area, better gaming times, less lag... :)

I agree with Wain, you could try out the EU realms and if you prefer your old toons you can always use them later. ;)

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master

Re: Advice: Should I play US or EU realms? (Resolved: EU)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think, to save some money for now and for practicality's sake that i'll be playing EU realms from now on. The chance of meeting other players in the EU is far greater than that of meeting US players, and my sleeping pattern does have to come first. Thanks everyone, for helping me put it all in perspective! I guess I can always return to my US account later on if I feel things aren't working out on EU servers?

In terms of my mounts and such, i'm fairly sure that they are still all achievable through grinding and mount runs, it'll just take a bit of time. As far as I can remember, the only item that I will no longer have access to is my tabard of the scarlet monastery.

Would it be considered spam if I now opened a new thread asking for feedback on popular and active EU servers?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

For Roleplaying you want to choose argent dawn. Its also a server for non roleplayer. When i played on it it was VERY active and had a channel for old raids achivements :D

we switched to silvermoon but cant give so much feedback on that one since i dont raid with other ppl than husband now :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master

Thanks for the advice Tårn! I am actually very interested in trying my hand at roleplaying, but i'm about as new to it as you can be.
What's the Horde to Alliance ratio like? Ideally i'd quite like to stick to one realm for both sides. My main will always be Alliance, but all of my alts are Horde.

I applaud you on finding a method to let the game be a positive impact upon your relationship, rather than detracting from it! I know a fair few people that have let WoW affect their relationships, and that never ends well, so well done!
Last edited by Nikrosnil on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: EU/US: Resolved. Can anybody recommend any good EU realm

Unread post by Ana »

i found this on the populations forums - i dont play alot of hordie so i thought these would answer your questions better :D

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5825682647

http://wow.realmpop.com/eu-argent-dawn.html

apparently draenor is a good hordie realm whem looking at the forums... heh i never knew. but even some ppl in this thread recommend argent dawn

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8382008334

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Here I'd like to say Terenas is alright. Yeah, it's a little dead and there's a larger number of alliance players in contrast to horde players, but that can work to your advantage. Yes I complain we need a server merge, but all in all, once you find a guild, the server seems more alive.

If you were to go Terenas horde side I could try and get you into my guild "Unlikely Group of Heroes." They are a raiding and casual group bunch of people. They accept anyone. But EU on a whole is fine and regardless, if you'd like help getting some mounts you used to have, I'll be more than happy to help :D

The quiet side of Terenas is good if you're a miner or a herbalist. Roleplay-wise, Tårn gave good advice. I'm not big on roleplaying myself, in the concept of I roleplay in my head and don't generally apply it seriously. I do, however, make sure all my toons are some-what interlink. It's a start, I guess *shrug*
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

heh i never roleplayed once when i was on Argent dawn.. i just took advantage on the many many many many morg and achivement runs there was :D

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master

Thanks Tårn, I'll definitely check out those links. :D Ooh, now that you mention it, maybe i'm more likely to get my mount and transmog gear again on a server like Argent Dawn where people care more about those sorts of things?

Kayro, I'll definitely make a low level character on Terenas and check it out, sometimes a good guild is all you need to make the playing experience that much better. As for the help offered, thank you so much, I really appreciate it. That's a really kind thing to do. *hugs* ^__^

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

i got alot of my achivements mounts and loot mounts while i was on Argent dawn :D

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Hehe you're most welcome. I like to help in any way I can :hug: