Hunter pet problem... am I alone?

Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Re: Hunter pet problem... am I alone?

Unread post by Ardawen »

Yea i have noticed it on several different hunters as well, so how are we going to report this?
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Maybe we should proof-test it first, to check precisely when it does and when it doesn't happen, so we can make a proper bug-ticket out of it, not just a "that one time when I was drunk" tale :P

I'll be home late tonight, but tomorrow morning I'll do a few tests. This may actually be quite fun :) (testing and algorythm hacking is a little hobby of mine :P )

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

The question is: is it happening in beta, too? If not, then reporting it is kind of pointless. I doubt Blizz is going to worry about any MoP bugs so close to WoD unless they're huge.

If anyone has noticed it on beta, then I'd suggest taking note of where it happened, how high the mob density was, mob names (were they all the exact same type?), and pet type at the very least.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

the last time I noticed it, I was on my 90 hunter, had just left Blackrock Deeps (name?) with a lowby I was powerleveling.

I targeted and fired at one of the workers on the way back to that central pillar section (where the portal guy is for Molten Core). my pet ran to the mob, which was dead before he arrived, and promptly turned and did a 180 and ran off after another mob I had not targeted. I couldn't even see the other mob, it was behind a rock formation.

so if that info helps at all.

I also noticed it once doing Coren Direbrew.
my pet ran into the next room and pulled a huge crowd immediately after we had killed Coren.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I never experience this on live, but I always play BM. So just mentioning that in case it turns out to be spec-related. Be worth considering that.

However I did experience this once on the beta the other day, where my pet suddenly ran off and attacked a mob so far away (and on the other side of a building) that I could not have aggroed it personally. I was BM at the time too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I didn't even notice this happening until I saw this thread. So apparently my pet really likes to run off while I'm doing Battle Before the Citadel (argent tourney quest) and I agree it does seem to have something to do with mob names. Occasionally when I'm attacking groups of foot soldiers, it seems to make my pets want to run off and target some random foot soldier in some random direction. Originally I thought the pet was just chasing an already aggroed mob, but now that I'm looking more closely at it, it's just picking a new target.

Been keeping my pets on passive lately and that seems to help quite a bit, so I guess that's my only suggestion for now.
Banard

Unread post by Banard »

This has happen to be since Assist was introduced in the game. I have open bug reports but gave up. I believe it has something to do with the old "Aggressive Stance" which became Assist.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Sounds like this bug I saw in MoP Beta: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 13#p368202

I'm thinking the quest mob thing was just a coincidence, though.

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Hey guys, I actually came to the forums BECAUSE I kept continually having this issue and almost made a thread about it in pet discussion. Glad I looked here first. I'mma throw my input in here:

-Pets will randomly act as if they're in the old aggressive stance while in assist.
-Pets often take longer to switch targets when misbehaving this way.
-This has been happening for several weeks in a row now. I would say it got worse with after the pre-patch download, but I do not believe it's necessarily tied to it.
-It doesn't seem to 'trigger' from anything in particular. I've had this happen while questing and while NOT questing. I think the people experiencing it while questing is just a coincidence.
-I've had it happen while in the open world and while in dungeons/raids.
-It does not seem as if they decide to even go after the nearest thing. Often it might be something far behind you nearly at max range.
-It doesn't seem as though it's from legendary cloak procs, as again, the pet will often take off in a random direction. I've often had my pet run off behind me.
-As stated in earlier posts in the thread, pets will pull things you were not even in combat with to begin with if you've recently pulled a mob and have not entirely left combat yet.
-All pets seem to be affected. I've had it happen with multiple families. Just yesterday a freshly tamed dog was doing it while I was questing in Icecrown.
-Also affects stampede summoned pets. Over the last week I'd been farming for the Zulian Panther and often when Kil'nara dies my stampede pets will go after the cats before they despawn. She dies so fast that they never aggro before they despawn, but my pets will start to return to me after her death and then veer off towards a pack.

I haven't checked on the PTR just yet, but I can if need be if it's still up. I also play BM, not sure if that has something to do with it. I'd love to help get this resolved before the pre-patch goes live, cause it's been driving me up the wall and caused me to just keep my pet on passive at all times. I've also noticed lately that it's taking an extra little bit to fall out of combat once you've disposed of your target as of late, not sure if that might also be tied to this issue.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I've been running UBRS a lot yesterday to try and get some Blacksmithing patterns before they're removed from the game, and noticed that my pet would go and attack groups of mobs that weren't too far from me. Thing is, I didn't even attack any other mobs, just shoot a few rats and cockroaches. Almost every time I did so, with just Auto attack too, my pet would dart off to a nearby group. So I don't think the same name mob theory works. Oh and pretty much all the time I Multi Shot a group, my pet goes off to attack a random mob in said group aside the one I'm targeting, so there's really something wrong with pet AI when in Assist Stance.
ImageImage
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I do think the mention of your character killing something so fast that the pet goes to another mob has merit. Almost as if the game is slow to give the pet the 'attack' command when your hunter shoots something, and if it dies instantly the pet still has the attack command initiated and instead goes to the nearest thing? I can't check right now but I'm fairly certain if you manually press down the pet attack button it will just target the nearest mob automatically, so that might be what's happening.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I have had this happen a few times. I just started to notice it before I let my sub expire. Its not happening to me too often though so it has not become a big problem...yet. I assume that will change when wod hits and I am no longer able to kill everyone in two seconds before the mobs have a chance to pile up.

also has anyone else been having weird threat issues with their pets? I am constantly having tanks ask me to turn growl off during raids since my pet is holding way more threat than they are. thing is growl is never on and they are never in tank spec. I am constantly double checking since its got me so paranoid. Even stranger from time to time they will pull threat in passive mode when both me and said pet have not yet attacked anything. :?