Prompt for a Legendary Weapon

Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Prompt for a Legendary Weapon

Unread post by Nevish »

Before I became adrift and between homes, about four months ago now, I got exasperated by the then slew of anti-hunterisms on the forums (but what else is new). I got so mad, I wrote a letter asking for Blizzard to metaphorically bite the bullet and give us a Legendary weapon chain as compensation for the crap we've had to put up with since the Burning Crusade's "dark ages" with Thori'dal.

Here it is in all it's hastily written, tl;dr glory:
Hello. I am a hunter, and I would like a return of a personalized legendary weapon quest chain for the Hunter class. Now before the comments of OMG HUNTARD!, OMG U GOT SOOOO MANY PETZ!, OMG HUNTER LOOT ENTITLEMENT!1, hear me out.

Over the course of WoW, hunters have been the butt end of jokes, and extremely limited to moments of class-based glory. A lot of us tend to feel bullied and neglected, and our fears often prove to be true with continuing incidents of stealth nerfs, clunky mechanics, and getting blindsided by “balancing” acts revolving around other classes. Still, we love our class, so we stick to our guns (pun not intended) and keep on moving ahead. Good times come and go, that’s the way of the game. But we haven’t had a moment in the sun for a long, long time.

Hence, I request that we can give some love to the class by installing a personalized legendary quest chain.

Let’s have a list of Legendary weapons in the game, and who got what. I am not including Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian because of its rarity and the fact that very few players got to see Vanilla Naxxramas, let alone embark on the quest for a completed Atiesh. I am also not including the weapons from the Kael’thas encounter at Tempest Keep, because they are fight specific and qualify as spawned temporary items.
Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros: Any class capable of wielding a 2-handed mace can use this item, but it obviously benefits warriors, paladins the most at the time of its release.

Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker: Again, another weapon that can be used by any class capable of wielding a 1-handed sword, which is most. However, any melee class benefits from Thunderfury more than ranged classes due to weapon mechanics. It was tailored to be most beneficial to one-hander and shield using tanks, which again are only warriors and paladins.

Warglaives of Azzinoth: Burning Crusade introduced the poor, one expansion wonder system of making legendaries a boss drop. The glaives were originally Rogue and Warrior only. When death knights and monks were introduced, they were tacked onto the list of eligible wielders.

Thori’dal, the Stars’ Fury: Introduced in Sunwell Plateau as a drop from the final boss of the instance, Kil’jaeden. The weapon immediately sparked controversy, as while it was obviously BiS for hunters at the time and benefited them the most, it was often a cause of sour fighting between classes because rogues and warriors would also claim rights to the weapon.

Val’anyr, Hammer of the Ancient Kings: The first exclusively healer-spec only legendary weapon was introduced in Wrath of the Lich King, through the raid Ulduar. All classes with a healing spec were able to access the weapon, and monks were recently included as also being eligible to start the chain if they wished.

Shadowmourne: Becoming available in the final tier raid of WotLK, Icecrown Citadel, the chain embarked on an epic quest to make a “twin” for Frostmourne, the Lich King’s infamous sword. Paladins, warriors, and death knights were the only ones capable of doing the quest chain.

Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa’s Rest: Spell DPS classes requested for this weapon at Blizzcon, and received. Mages, boomkins, warlocks, and shadow priests were able to embark on the chain starting at the release of Cataclysm’s second raid tier: Firelands.

Fangs of the Father: In an attempt to spark interest in the depleting population of the rogue class, the quest chain for this pair of legendary daggers was released in the final raiding tier of Cataclysm. It also introduced everyone’s favourite items pusher, Wrathion the Black Prince and last of the Black Dragonflight, This is currently the only Legendary tier in the game that is specific to only one class.

The Sha-touched Weapons: These were introduced in Mists of Pandaria. All classes have access to one or two of these weapons which drop from the first tier of raid bosses. Everyone takes part in an epic chain that spans across the entire expansion and, as of this post, has not seen its conclusion.

These weapons have special gem sockets that only hold legendary quality gems, and as of patch 5.2, this has extended to a legendary quality helmet enchant as well.

As of 5.4, after a very long and harrowing chain of quests, we now have legendary cloaks to show for it.

This does not exclude the fact that RNG is less than kind for many players, and many have yet to see their Sha-touched weapon drop.
Excluding the new monk class, every class in the game has been able to take part in a lore-relevant quest chain that ended with them receiving a legendary weapon. While some specs, like paladin and warrior tanks and enhancement shamans have NOT received a chance to claim a specialized weapon, they certainly have had the ability to use an off spec to see this content. Hunters, being a pure DPS class, have no such option.

I’d like to address another point that directly relates to lore: With the devs saying that Alleria Windrunner is probably making a return in the next expansion, we have a great opportunity on our hands to see hunter lore expanded. This would mean an amazing chance to see three of the best known archers and rangers in Azeroth, the Windrunner Sisters, potentially become big players in this story. Hunters are often only regarded as THE pet class, with little focus on being a ranged combatant. Outside of the isolated pet taming challenges, the only time we were required to test our skills as in the demands of the lore were for the Rhok’delar quest chain. This experience was removed with other personalized class quests in Cataclysm, replacing them with generic “go to X dungeon, gather materials, receive gear” quests that are the same for all classes.

It’d be a double dipper for lore: the Windrunner sisters, famous rangers and markswomen, and the hunter class finally getting a moment to bask in the limelight of having that moment in storytelling. It could encompass all that comes with being a hunter: a seasoned wanderer who chose to live in the wilderness, learned its secrets, befriended its beasts, and uses that prowess to slay their foes and stay one step ahead of the enemy. If the expansion does introduce a new land, it could easily be a challenge for the hunter to adapt to this new environment and conquer the challenges it brings.

We have a lot of potential, and personally I feel we’re long overdue for some development (since we obviously won’t get it in PvP, HAHAHAHA).

To summarize, we’re the only class that has not had access to a legendary quest chain that makes us feel relevant to some aspect of the game’s story, let alone having something that would give some attention for this specific part of the player base beyond “have some pets“. Which is fine, we like pets, but I’d be happy to trade a patch or two worth of sparkle dogs for a shot at orange glory. It’d give a healthy dose of morale, and maybe actually let us take a deep breath and say, “Hey! Blizzard doesn’t hate us that much after all!”

So, what are your thoughts?
Honestly, looking at it after so many months, it comes off as kinda whiny and entitled. However, I also think we could really use something like this, and that it's absolutely within our rights to ask as much - if we do it right.

Thoughts?

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Re: Prompt for a Legendary Weapon

Unread post by Anyia »

Word. The Rhok'delar quest chain was probably one of the most entertaining ones in the game (even though I didn't do it until in BC), and I was very sad to see it go. The only other quest chain that had me as engaged was the original tauren/druid quests - the mastering of the hunt and becoming one with the wild - which were really well done. So well in fact that I felt cheated when I could simply train cat/cheetah/whatever-it-was form from the trainer.

While I'm unlikely to return to WoW myself, I'd love to see the current and future generations of hunters have an epic, challenging class quest chain to embark upon!
Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nevish »

I wish to hell I had the chance to do it. By the time I was capable of soloing Molten Core, I had a two week deadline - and both times, the Priest quest item dropped. It'd be nice to have some of that flavour again.

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Hopefully you're not implying the 'legendary quest chain' we currently got cause then I'd have to say nay.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nevish »

Junrei wrote:Hopefully you're not implying the 'legendary quest chain' we currently got cause then I'd have to say nay.
God, no. I mean something hunter-relevant that we can look at, pump our fists, and feel like we got something cool for the first time since Burning Crusade, that is NOT dependent on a free-for-all drop, that has actual lore relevance specific to not only our class, but the current game story. What's going on right now is basically more of the same "EVERYONE GETS A FAIR CHANCE IF YOU'RE WITHIN A GOOD RAID GUILD OR RNG SMILES UPON YOU! LOL GOOD LUCK" trash quest that's as personal as a public toilet.

I think the hunter class is entitled to something bitchingly cool by the principle of "everyone else got their chance, we want ours now".

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

I'd love war glaives with a string on, thats just taunting us, its in the shape of a bow but nooo :(
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nevish wrote:
Junrei wrote:Hopefully you're not implying the 'legendary quest chain' we currently got cause then I'd have to say nay.
God, no. I mean something hunter-relevant that we can look at, pump our fists, and feel like we got something cool for the first time since Burning Crusade, that is NOT dependent on a free-for-all drop, that has actual lore relevance specific to not only our class, but the current game story. What's going on right now is basically more of the same "EVERYONE GETS A FAIR CHANCE IF YOU'RE WITHIN A GOOD RAID GUILD OR RNG SMILES UPON YOU! LOL GOOD LUCK" trash quest that's as personal as a public toilet.

I think the hunter class is entitled to something bitchingly cool by the principle of "everyone else got their chance, we want ours now".

Okay then yes, I am all for that then. XD

You can probably tell RNG has been like "Oh you need wisdom? How about power instead!" *grumble*

LisaaraPokefarm

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Anyia wrote:Word. The Rhok'delar quest chain was probably one of the most entertaining ones in the game (even though I didn't do it until in BC), and I was very sad to see it go. The only other quest chain that had me as engaged was the original tauren/druid quests - the mastering of the hunt and becoming one with the wild - which were really well done. So well in fact that I felt cheated when I could simply train cat/cheetah/whatever-it-was form from the trainer.

While I'm unlikely to return to WoW myself, I'd love to see the current and future generations of hunters have an epic, challenging class quest chain to embark upon!
This. I loved that quest chain and I think I did it in BC too. Its one of my most treasured bows because of the effort I went to so would love something similuar available to all classes. I also loved making my pally horse and druid fligh form. Such a feeling of accomplishment when u finish things like that :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

RheinJie

Unread post by RheinJie »

"Wrathion's Legendary Questline is doable by any level 90 character. Though there are parts of the questline that require a group to complete, the vast majority of it can be done solo." how about this??

Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

still cant belive were getting a silly old weapon from wod legendary quest.. why not helmet or wep.. a ring? /wrist bleeds

-_-
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Ziroth wrote:still cant belive were getting a silly old weapon from wod legendary quest.. why not helmet or wep.. a ring? /wrist bleeds

-_-
Only those doing the hardest teir of raids get the chance at the weapon quest.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ziroth wrote:still cant belive were getting a silly old weapon from wod legendary quest.. why not helmet or wep.. a ring? /wrist bleeds

-_-
Huh? We're getting a legendary ring, not a weapon. o.o; Unless you do mythic raiding.

LisaaraPokefarm

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

We're getting both.

Thre will be a "casual" (MoP legendary cloak style) quest for everyone to complete for a legendary ring, and there will be a super-duper-1337 legendary weapon for those doing mythic raids.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
vanilli

Unread post by vanilli »

What about Shammies? Ench to be more to the point, Class and spec that has never had a legendary weapon open for them to call dibs on. Also feral and now guardian druids? Come to think of it Elemental shammy with the staffs were rare to see to :/
As much as I would love to see ANOTHER Hunter legendary I would rather wait for the others who have yet to gain one to be able to get one even if it is down to just RNG ... It would only be fair to those classes and specs to get one just like the rest of us have had that chance at :)
I'm not putting your idea down or anything its just there is a bigger picture to it all, also didn't blizz change the legendary system so everyone got one instead of aiding one person in a guild to get a item which caused alot of drama to? Didn't the player base vote against those kinda ideas? Like the Warglaves ... Who remembers rogues fucking each other over for those items let alone warrs trying to get in on that ... Who remembers all those BT runs? And the Fireland one was no better casters leaving and joining guilds over them and I'm sure the daggers in DS were the same and Shadowmoron to :/
If you want to question blizzards actions double check why they made the change while yes there may seem like alot want the old ways back sadly they have to side with the masses sometimes :(