Put the Owl back in WoW. ...wait, that doesn't make sense...

Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Put the Owl back in WoW. ...wait, that doesn't make sense...

Unread post by Holgarr »

... I remain disappointed that, even though there are tamable birds whose model/texture is labeled as "owl" by the game, that none of them actually look much at all like owls (i.e., large round eyes, small sharp beaks, but instead seem more like thick-headed, blunt-beaked hawks.
Really, where are the snowy owls, the screech owls, the barn owls, the great owls?
Heck, going by features like eye and beak size, the most owl-like bird in the game... is Pepe.
Image Image
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Re: Put the Owl back in WoW. ...wait, that doesn't make sens

Unread post by Kalhoun »

WoW owls always reminded me of The Great Owl from The Secret of NIMH.

I see what you're saying though! It would be neat to have a totally round-headed type.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Sadly I think that's just how Owls are on Azeroth and Dreanor, which is apparently much different than Earth.
After all, the zebra have unicorn horns and the porcupines only have a few massive spear-like spines instead of quills.

Siggy under construction!

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I would really like to see diversity of textures and designs for many of the lesser loved tameable families. I mean, there's dozens of examples of skeletons being reused for a myriad of different models-- so different that they bear absolutely zero likeness to the very first model introduced with that skeleton, and only if you've become aware of the movements of that skeleton, are you able to identify what creatures use it

They re-purpose skeletons all the time for new species but most I notice are non-beast type creatures. But Birds of Prey and Carrion Birds did get some nice things though; getting new Kaliri models, Toucans, and Teroclaws. The Kaliri's are a good variation of a fantasy take on an owl, which is a good start, and I hope they continue to keep creating new species, rather than retextured old models for pets like owls, eagles, parrots, and vultures

We did get a lot of unique pre-destroyed Draenor-specific wildlife with new models, rather than just updated textures of Outland models, which is nice (Clefthooves getting tusks and spikes, ravagers redesigned, rylaks, etc.). There's a lot of variation in the ones that originate from Draenor but also updated skins of ones we can find on Azeroth too which again, is really awesome, and gives hope that more very low-resolution and very cut+paste creatures will get more love from the art department :3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |