Flying in WoW Discussion

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: No Flying in WoD period

Unread post by Bowno »

I'm surprised with how hostile and upset some people are getting with this. Not trying to poke fun or anything, but I agree with the chill out statement. It's blizzards game. They'll add flying when they want. They have tons of money coming in, which means they're still in control. If some people leave because they can't flap around on one Continent for a few months (or years) then oh well. They'll be back soon enough. They always come back.

My only suggestion for the people who are so worked up over not being able to fly is to go to a different game that allows you to fly until WoW lets you fly later on. It's not the end of the world. It won't keep you from getting epic lootz and such. You're not behind any one because everyone else can't fly either.

Again, not trying to get you guys all worked up or anything. That is not my intention. Not trying to start drama. Not making fun of any one. Please do not take it that way. I'm just responding to the fact that this board is still going with pretty much the same thoughts even after so long.

Siggy under construction!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Bowno wrote:
My only suggestion for the people who are so worked up over not being able to fly is to go to a different game that allows you to fly until WoW lets you fly later on.
Actually, that's a big part of the issue. There are very few other games where flying exists and having flying mounts has been a major attraction to the game for many people and even a big reason why many have stayed with WoW for years. I know I really miss it when I play other games in the genre like LOTRO and Rift.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Lisaara »

Except WoW's subs are higher this expansion than the last few ever have been. I'm pretty sure since they announced no flying in draenor early on that it didn't deter people as much as you think or else WoW wouldn't have gone from 7.5 million to more than 10 million subs at the release of Warlords(which is part of why the servers were so shaky for a bit, aside from DDoS attacks). If 'so many' were deterred, the subs really don't show it.

Proof: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... expansion/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world- ... 0-6423706/
http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/19/72507 ... ubscribers
http://blizzard.gamespress.com/WORLD-OF ... DS-OF-DRAE
http://www.wowhead.com/news=244587/wow- ... tdevs-new-

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Junrei wrote:Except WoW's subs are higher this expansion than the last few ever have been. I'm pretty sure since they announced no flying in draenor early on that it didn't deter people as much as you think or else WoW wouldn't have gone from 7.5 million to more than 10 million subs at the release of Warlords(which is part of why the servers were so shaky for a bit, aside from DDoS attacks). If 'so many' were deterred, the subs really don't show it.

They never announced anything other than no flying during leveling, which was nothing new and perfectly fine and said there might not be any until the first patch. They never said anything about not having it at all. The sub numbers are therefore irrelevant.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Junrei wrote:Except WoW's subs are higher this expansion than the last few ever have been. I'm pretty sure since they announced no flying in draenor early on that it didn't deter people as much as you think or else WoW wouldn't have gone from 7.5 million to more than 10 million subs at the release of Warlords(which is part of why the servers were so shaky for a bit, aside from DDoS attacks). If 'so many' were deterred, the subs really don't show it.
It's a well known fact they reached 10 Million subs. I even reported it. However, they made it seem like all we had to do was wait till 6.1 for flying and that we would have to do some silly quest line to get something back that was banned from being used in the current content. What did they did next, only added fuel to the fire.. They didn't even bother posting on the official forum, and didn't even provide a real reason for no flying. They sent someone on Reddit and had them tell Reddit, no flying ? It was basically like, you know how we said you might get flying in 6.1 ? Nah, we where just trolling you. We don't want to give to you, and we might not even allow it for the entire expansion.

If you look at how fast you can get from zone to zone or across the zone, you can see they are at least 50% in size compared some other zones in previous expansions. I'm more and more convinced they made this expansion with the idea of either no flying, or simply letting us fly at the very end of the expansion. I really want my flying back, but I'm doing my best to not let this consume me and get under my skin. You could say I'm tolerating it for now... I will likely quite for good if they remove flying all together. Not saying they will, but at this point. I don't know what to expect from them.

World of Garrison Craft is what it should of been named.. Garrison is neat, and can be fun.. However, it's not really "immersive" like they wanted us to be.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Danielfboone wrote: The sub numbers are therefore irrelevant.
Actually no, they are not. Mmo Champion is a very reliable source, and they reported the sub numbers, like they always do every quarter. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to confirm the numbers.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/452 ... ubscribers
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Danielfboone wrote:

They never announced anything other than no flying during leveling, which was nothing new and perfectly fine and said there might not be any until the first patch. They never said anything about not having it at all. The sub numbers are therefore irrelevant.
They have never said that we'll never see flying either so your point is kinda irrelevant too. The sub numbers would of dropped if flying was an issue by now and I have yet to see evidence of that. Also at the blizzcon before I'm fairly certain one of the slides was "No flying until patch 6.0" so it was fairly clear there would be no flying for awhile and you wouldn't get it at the 100 "ding".

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

AdamSavage

Castile wrote: The sub numbers would of dropped if flying was an issue by now and I have yet to see evidence of that. Also at the blizzcon before I'm fairly certain one of the slides was "No flying until patch 6.0" so it was fairly clear there would be no flying for awhile and you wouldn't get it at the 100 "ding".
The expansion is just over month old, I don't expect to see subs results for another few months. We wont know till then. They typically come out 4x a year. Thus the term Quarterly results.

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Oh the Irony... Blizzard is having a pet and mount sale.. 5/7 mounts on sale, are true flying mounts and the other two can be used as a ground mount or flying. Talk about adding salt to the wounds... It's almost like dangling a piece of meat in front of a dog, after you already told the dog he couldn't have any.. And by True flying, I mean a mount that doesn't flop around on the ground like fish.. Mounts that where originally designed strictly for flying first, and being a ground mount second.

Dr. Who Video!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Since there's a lot of push and pull and a large chance of being misread on this topic, I kept my input in single sentences for easy reading and understanding. I know that I have a tendency to type ambiguously ^^;;

-I don't mind that we can't fly in current content.
-I would like to be able to fly in Draenor when the next expansion comes out however.
-We all have at least one expansion that didn't pop for us or we just outright loathe and want to burn through it ASAP.
-For those of us who've been around prior to Cataclysm, we've all had to do those expansions on foot on every single alt till max level (Northrend being at 78) and it was anywhere from tiresome and uninteresting to a down right hate-filled time for those who got sick of the content or who never liked it period. Even flying through that content is for many, frustrating and annoying.
-Mists of Pandaria has allowed flying in the zone right from day 1 but you have to be, even though its no longer current content, max level (level 90) to fly there.
-Many people loathe MoP to the point where they become obscene in their opinion of it. And we're all still, whether we enjoy the content or not, forced to level through it on foot.
-I enjoyed MoP but I, and I'm sure many others who may or may not frequent or voice themselves on Blizzard/MMO Champ forums, who would like to see flying in MoP dropped down to 85.
-I am, again, ok that we can't fly in current content.
-And I, again, would like to be able to fly in Draenor when we move on to the next expansion, if not earlier.
-And I would like that the level requirement to fly in Draenor to be level 90 WHEN it is no longer current content. I am completely fine with flying being restricted to lvl 100 if its current content. The likeliness of that happening though is most definitely something I hold no hope in. Nor do I hold hope for flying in MoP to be brought down to 85.
-In no way however am I demanding any changes/additions. If I lose interest or things become problematic, then I'll probably hook up again with RIFT or invest in some games I like for my PS3 (I was given the console and a handful of games but I only really like 2 of em).
-Regardless of level requirement though, I'd just like to be able to fly at some point in each expansion.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I have never said that WoD was anything other than a great expansion. I just find the no flying at max level thing to be it's only major flaw. I've always been fine with not having it before then. Like Adam, I find it somewhat infuriating that the mounts in the Store can practically all fly and even more infuriating that the main incentive (at least for me) for buying the Deluxe Edition of WoD was the awesome FLYING mount. At this point in time, that's akin to bait and switch tactics.

I also really liked MoP as an expansion, especially the sound track which I find infinitely better than the dark, gloomy, boring music in WoD.The music in the Pandaren starting zone of MoP is some of the best they have ever given us. There is one piece in particular in WoD where the vocals sound just like the beginning of Mr. Bean when he falls into the spotlight.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I hope they never add flying in Draenor.

All mounts can be used on the ground now. There are no useless mounts anymore.

Just those darn seahorses, I guess.

People, most likely, would have had a sh** fit if Blizzard made the CE mount a ground mount.
As in, one that doesn't fly. period. Not even in Azeroth.

Dread raven flies where it's allowed. It's still. a. flying. mount.

There was no 'baiting and switching'.

If you remember correctly, you got the mount a good while before WoD RELEASED.
So people could fly around on it.

Yeah.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

AdamSavage

Scarlet wrote:I hope they never add flying in Draenor.
All mounts can be used on the ground now. There are no useless mounts anymore.
Just those darn seahorses, I guess.
People, most likely, would have had a sh** fit if Blizzard made the CE mount a ground mount.
As in, one that doesn't fly. period. Not even in Azeroth.
Dread raven flies where it's allowed. It's still. a. flying. mount.
There was no 'baiting and switching'.
If you remember correctly, you got the mount a good while before WoD RELEASED.
So people could fly around on it.
Yeah.

So because you don't like flying, you rather the fun be ruined for everyone else ? Why can't you use what you like to use, and those who wish to fly can keep doing so ? oh yes... I just LOVE seeing a FLYING mount flop around on the ground like fish out of water.. Most of them do this. You also see most people using a ground mount. It's rare I see a flying mount, being used as a ground mount.

Dr. Who Video!

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

I never said I want fun to be ruined for everyone else. I just said I hope there is no flying in Draenor.
I'm allowed to have an opinion too. I also never said I don't like flying. I love it. But I don't feel it is necessary in Draenor.
I've seen numerous people using flying mounts in Draenor. Especially Firehawks and Proto Drakes.

Can you give me some examples of flopping-fishy-flying mounts? Literally none of the ones I've used have done or looked like this to me.. And please, don't say "Iron Skyreaver" - It's obvious it was meant to run like that.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

AdamSavage

I guess it's just Iron Skyreaver. I never really paid much attention to the other mounts, as I don't use them on the ground.. It might be different on your server, but on mine the closest thing to a flying mount you see are the hybrid ones that back in Wotlk could be used as either, depending on where you where. You hardly see any true flying mounts being used a ground mount. I don't like using them as they are flying mounts, and never originally meant to be used a ground mount and are too big for my liking. The different gadgets they have, that allow you limited flying are fun and help with the whole no flying deal..

I still think it's like adding salt to the wounds, by Blizzard having a mount sale on flying mounts. I also think, this argument could be easily solved if people simply stuck to there ground mounts when flying came out.. However, it's unlikely this will happen. I could be wrong, and I guess time will tell. It would of helped had Blizzard been honest and direct right from the start, vs giving those who want to fly the false hope they did. It's pretty clear based on how they deigned the world, that it was done with no flying in mind.

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

As I've stated many times....they have been...which was back in April...hell, even in March during an interview.....way before WoD release. If you didn't read it/refused to believe it, that's on you, not Blizzard. MMO champion has even posted interviews saying they did not know if 6.1 would have flying or not and Blizz was leaning heavily against it. If you choose to not read it or scoff at it, that's your business.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 539?page=5
http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/bashi ... f-draenor/
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/383 ... s-Garrison

First page of google right there ---^ So lets stop with the Blizzard bashing, saying they never said anything, when all you need to do is google it and can see they clearly did awhile ago. Let's move on to an argument with some support, please. One that doesn't involve constant Blizzard bashing without justification other than they did something you didn't like.

On the subject of the Sky Reaver, all Rylak's flop. That's their running animation even as hunter pets. So it's not exclusive to the mount or anything. Only thing I'd like Blizz to do is allow my flying mounts that can be used as ground mounts(which is really all of them) to be in the random mount thingie from time to time. But I often see people using their fliers like protodrakes, dread raven, etc. on the ground like it's no big deal.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

AdamSavage

They still kept us in the dark. They should of simply said no flying period, which is what they want. They give us a half baked expansion, and then frantically try and slow us down.Which they never seem to be able to do. If players are determined to rush through the content, they will do so. It will not matter how much you try and slow them down. It's not even going to be a full expansion, like all the others. I think I will read more carefully, of their plans with the next expansion before I decide if I want to buy it. I will also, not give in to the temptation of the lures they give you to entice you to buy it. The deal breaker for me, will be in the end if they allow us to fly.

Then you have the loyal players, that would keep playing no matter what they do. The garrisons are neat and handy, but it's still leaves me to wonder why so much emphasis on "being immersive in the world" when you are given the option to never leave the Garrison. The only thing you can farm these days, is Sumptuous Fur. Everything else is given to you on a silver platter. Your own fishing pond, herb garden and personal mine. It's still to early to really give a fair assessment of the expansion, but so far I rate it only slightly above cata and cata for me was the worst.

It has it's advantages, and the follower missions where indeed fun at first.. However, it quickly becomes a chore to do. The amount of time put into it, and the rewards you get back.. It takes a long time before you achieve a fine balance between time and resources invested, and rewards given back.

Dr. Who Video!

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

Just so we're clear, I wasn't trying to sound like a rude jerk, I am sorry if it came off that way. I just felt the need to put in my own opinion on the subject.

I can see both sides here, but I still wouldn't be bothered with out flying.

Hopefully in the end, everyone will be satisfied with the outcome.

Also, I explore a lot. I don't stay in my garrison all the time. Maybe some do, but not everyone.
There are still quite a few things you need to actually work for, like profession specific items.
For example, the blonde dire wolf mount in leatherworking. You can craft it at 1 skills, But you have to be 700 skills to learn it.
Lots of free ore, herbs are a bit of 'hand out' perhaps, but, there are still lots of things you can work for (Such as the transmog sets.)

I don't know really. I feel the expansion is fun, but I understand that some people may not feel the same way.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I really think you're just being melodramic now. They didn't keep us in the dark - it was said straight up you wouldn't fly right away. And whole salt in the wound thing oh please - they do this sale every year! I see it as an opportunity to buy my husband a mount he doesn't have not some immature taunt from Blizzard.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

AdamSavage

Castile wrote:I really think you're just being melodramic now. They didn't keep us in the dark - it was said straight up you wouldn't fly right away. And whole salt in the wound thing oh please - they do this sale every year! I see it as an opportunity to buy my husband a mount he doesn't have not some immature taunt from Blizzard.
They kept us in the dark, but simply not saying no flying at all period. They instead, said well.. maybe.. let's see how it goes. We might have a long quest line to use your flying again, in current content. Then, turned around flat out say No flying and of all places..Reddit. No official post or anything.

So you can have your ground mounts, and enjoy being stuck on the ground. Nothing I say, will change that. I will always be labeled a "Pro Flyer" simply because I really enjoy flying. It's a combined effort of Blizzard trying to slow us down, and because of people that enjoy being grounded so much, that we don't have flying. So claps yourselves on the back, and be happy while those who actually want to fly have to pay the price. I will keep playing for now, as I got nothing better to play but I will eventually grow bored of the expansion. Outside of raiding, and doing the daily. Nothing really left for me to do.
Last edited by AdamSavage on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Who Video!