Support the Playable Arakkoa thread.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Support the Playable Arakkoa thread.

Unread post by Sukurachi »

After having dragged countless lowby alts through the Outland version of Auchindoun, I absolutely HATED the Arakkoa...

However, I was very profoundly moved by the plight of the WoD Arakkoa and enjoyed that entire zone the most of all the WoD Zones so far. While visually they aren't really my style, I'd totally play the sh** out of an Arakkoa toon!!!!

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

That would be interesting bringing a WoD one to OL. They'd cry bird tears XD
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

cowmuflage wrote:
Scarlet wrote:They're talking about the non cursed ones if you'd read the thread. Why do you feel the need to be constantly negative about everything?

And here, for everyone:

If you don't like a class or race, don't play it.

That's basically what it boils down to.

Oh and on the subject of them being 'dicks'.. Well, yes, some are dicks. But what race in WoW doesn't have a couple dicks? Literally all of them do. I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted to point that out, even though it's probably obvious. :'D
There is nothing wrong with saying why you don't want them as a race. That's the point of threads to discuss things.

If you don't want to read it don't, That's basically what it boils down to :p

Really no need to be snarky.

I can't know if I want to read it or not. I'm not a mind reader.

My post was part of the discussion too. :p
:/

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I was not being snarky :p

Really I got no beef with ya tiss all good :3
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

Okay. Sorry! I can't really tell the intention of text so sometimes I get the wrong idea..

I'll stop derailing the thread now. ^^'

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Well after playing the talon king questline I so want this. But in their WOD forms - not the cursed ones. The talon king was impressive and i found the whole story of their plight pretty compelling. I think they are quite a hansome race too :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Melle wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:
Scarlet wrote:They're talking about the non cursed ones if you'd read the thread. Why do you feel the need to be constantly negative about everything?

And here, for everyone:

If you don't like a class or race, don't play it.

That's basically what it boils down to.

Oh and on the subject of them being 'dicks'.. Well, yes, some are dicks. But what race in WoW doesn't have a couple dicks? Literally all of them do. I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted to point that out, even though it's probably obvious. :'D
There is nothing wrong with saying why you don't want them as a race. That's the point of threads to discuss things.

If you don't want to read it don't, That's basically what it boils down to :p
I do agree with Scarlet though, the thread is titled "Support" not discuss/tear down/say why it shouldn't be. It's directing people to a thread so that they can support the idea if they agree or just bypass it if they don't. If Blizz made more playable races, it wouldn't affect the ones who don't like it either way. If you don't want them playable and they become playable... Well then just don't play the race.
This is wrong. New races would affect everyone even if they didn't play them, especially in PvP situations. The additional balancing issues would also add headaches for the developers and they have quite enough on their plate.

Another issue is this. Which faction would they be? Would there have to be another race added to balance things or would they be in both factions like the Pandaren? A situation that is even more strange since their problems were resolved.

It wouldn't matter which race was proposed, my answer would be the same. No, we have more than enough already.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Danielfboone wrote:This is wrong. New races would affect everyone even if they didn't play them, especially in PvP situations. The additional balancing issues would also add headaches for the developers and they have quite enough on their plate.
This happens with literally everything, and as such, is scarcely a good argument against any new races. New items, new talents, spell changes, anything that isn't solely aesthetic like cosmetic gear or the toybox, and even the toybox has its own effect on the game and PvP situations based on whether the effects are allowed.
Danielfboone wrote:Another issue is this. Which faction would they be? Would there have to be another race added to balance things or would they be in both factions like the Pandaren? A situation that is even more strange since their problems were resolved.

The thread suggests them as neutral (i.e. both factions get them like Pandaren), and I would probably prefer them as an Alliance counterpart to Ogres for the Horde, whereas others may still prefer them as options for both factions. Your mileage may vary. But for the purposes of the thread: the suggestion we're talking about would have them be neutral.

And that "problems were resolved" is hardly a good argument. The world isn't static. In most cases it seems that way because, unless Blizzard puts their attention on it changing, it looks like nothing happens, but it's not literally "Okay, we did the arakkoa questline. They're locked in time without anything ever happening.". Time changes, and with that, demands and goals change. They could very easily justify a splinter-group of high-arakkoa joining the Alliance and Horde (or just Alliance, depending) after the events of the Spires of Arak/anything else that might involve them in WoD past launch that we haven't seen yet, and in fact, what may be a counter-argument in your eyes, might easily turn around to be an argument for. Yes, the stuff that happened happened, it could have easily caused a bit of a cultural shock in the upper echelons of arakkoa society, which would lead to the events of groups of them joining the main factions.

Blizzard really just has to write it in, and there is easily space for that. And the fact that it hasn't been written in is a counterargument as much as saying "Worgen were never foreshadowed as a new race to join the factions so they shouldn't join." after the Cataclysm worgen announcement. It simply is a case of "If they want to do it, they'll do it. If they don't, they don't. But there is nothing stopping them from doing it. The lore gives them the space they need to write it in.". What we are doing is showing interest, which is usually a factor in what becomes a new race or not. The main three, in my experience, being: 1) lore viability (check) 2) Popularity (check-check.) and 3) whether Blizzard wants to add them to the game, and if it wouldn't alter/affect the theme of the expansion they'd be in too much.

Danielfboone wrote:It wouldn't matter which race was proposed, my answer would be the same. No, we have more than enough already.

Very well. That's all your opinion, but if that's the case, I really don't see what you are doing here. You made your view clear already. There is nowhere we can go with it from here, so you pushing it comes off as a bit preachy. If you were against arakkoa as a new race, or against the way the thread would have arakkoa be added, we'd have a discussion to go for. But there is nowhere we can go with your thoughts. You simply state you don't want any new races, so there's nothing to be discussed, going by your own words.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

By their problems being resolved, I meant the Pandaren. There is now no reason for them to be fighting with both factions. Not there there ever really was. The only reason for it was so that one faction wouldn't feel left out of playing a race that had been asked for repeatedly for years. I suspect the same would happen with the Arrakoa.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Well as of right now we are at 70 likes on the main post, 15 pages in and a large majority of the responses have been positive so I thank those who have given us support and feedback! (yes I'm even thanking those who posted comments against the idea.)
There has been a surprising amount of legitimate conversation on the topic which took me by surprise since most of it is taking place on the wow forums.
Hope to see more petopians come support us as time goes on. :)

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They have indicated an interest in adding more playable races in the future. Unfortunately I don't have a link to whatever post/tweet/interview/miscellanous I read it in. I can't remember at all now, but it wasn't too long ago. We probably will see new races at some point. I think it just requires a race that excites these guys enough that they're willing to deal with the added work that comes with it.

Funny, though, maybe I'm the only one who'd prefer to see the cursed Arakkoa over the flying ones. Not just because it would remove the need to explain why your winged toon can't fly (though it would be convenient for that), but more that I think I'd find the story more interesting. I'm actually the same way with Draenei. I love my Draenei very much, but I feel they could have made a far more compelling story if we had been given Broken. Of course then we wouldn't have had Draenei paladins but I really think they could have made an awesome backstory of it.

But that's me :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm that person that doesn't care which one makes it in long as one does. XD

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

Honestly, I'd play them either way, but I'd rather see the flying type. Between the quest in Spires and using my rogue to disguise as one, I really love them and would just find it super awesome to play

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'd love LOTS more playable races.
I've played a few other games where you could massively customize your character, to the extent that you could almost never cross another person who had a toon like yours.

While that example MIGHT be a tad extreme, having more playable races would certainly alleviate some of the effect of all toons looking the same.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote:I'd love LOTS more playable races.
I've played a few other games where you could massively customize your character, to the extent that you could almost never cross another person who had a toon like yours.

While that example MIGHT be a tad extreme, having more playable races would certainly alleviate some of the effect of all toons looking the same.
I know what you mean - games like skyrim and guildwars kinda take it too far lol. Changing cheek bones etc. so much work just to create a toon!

I so love the uncorrupted Arakkoa - i find them very graceful and beautiful. Imagine being able to pick the colour of their feathers...:)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Ahhh i know! I tried out guild wars and some of the options were a bit over the top xD give me the basics plus height and weight, add some scar/tattoo options and I would be a happy camper. give me control over the shampe of my characters cheekbones or head size and i always come out lopsided. >.<

I would love to see what feather color options you could get for Arakkoa. If they added markings/pattern options to the color options as well it would open up quite a few possibilities while still keeping things simple for the devs. I am simply in love with the red sunset colors some of them have and would jump at the chance to get a black or dark blue one.

I already have three or four names reserved....you know.... just in case >.>

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

You know I'd be game for these IF they make Murlocs the other race :p
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:You know I'd be game for these IF they make Murlocs the other race :p
They'll call it the wedding banquet option. Chicken or fish?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:You know I'd be game for these IF they make Murlocs the other race :p
If they ever made Murlocs playable, I'd quit. I hate them more than any other creature in the game. Also, you can't make a race playable when they feed on all the others. It's been so nice not seeing any in Draenor although those Goren can be pretty annoying.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

The only thing about making them playable tho (the uncursed ones) is they would, again, have to make new models & skeletons since the current ones use an altered worgen skeleton. All the playable races have unique skeletons compared to each other & I'm betting they would want to continue that trend. The Cursed ones would be a better choice overall in terms of story & designs. I think neutral would be best for faction too.

Personally, l'd rather Naga heh.