Make the skies dangerous

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Make the skies dangerous

Unread post by Iowawolf »

This is something I posted on the forums on how they could explain why we can not fly there and thought it was actually a good idea.

With all the pro and anti flight threads going around has anyone ever stopped to think of ways that maybe can fix this problem we are having.

I was thinking maybe in a future patch since the Iron Horde are supposed to be all powerful why not implement maybe some air strikes in the zones like it was on Thunder Isle we knew going in it was too dangerous there and if we tried to fly we would be shot down. Which is why I had no problems not flying there so if there were say Iron Skyreavers patrolling the skies once in awhile then we know why we can't fly and I am betting it would calm a lot of us down as well.

The way it is now this Iron Horde are a bunch of weaklings they need to control the skies to make sure nothing gets in or out and by doing so establish themselves as a real threat to Azeroth we already have the Skyreavers as mounts but to look up into the skies and see them patrolling knowing if we tried to mount up they could shoot us down and kill us when we landed sure would make me think twice about wanting to fly.

Please Blizzard try this idea and it just may save some not all from wanting to leave.

If this was to happen it would explain a lot and even so give us that want to fly a reason why the skies are dangerous.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Make the skies dangerous

Unread post by Lisaara »

Honestly, I don't like this idea at all. If you want dangerous skies, there's AION or something. WoW is not AION and I'd like for us to not turn it into something it isn't. It wouldn't calm anyone down because you'd still be forced to use ground mounts because flying would be too dangerous and not worth it. So this is basically saying "Here, you can have flying but you still can't do it anyway cause the moment you try, you're gonna die."

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

This concept was kind of explored within in Draenor before, but in was different version... Outland.

There are 2 (there are probably more) ways this happened from memory, the Fel cannons that tried to shoot you out of the sky within Blade edge mountains, and the Giant (orange/red) Kaliri that would knock you off your flying mounts within Terokkar Forest. I actually don't mind these ideas so much, and it certainly made the skies in those areas dangerous and outright deadly if you got stuck/knocked off to high. (Also the cannons around the Horde/Ally hubs in krasarang were dam deadly too if you stopped paying attention, I quite liked that)

I'm not sure how/if this would ever be implemented all over, but in area like Spires (With the Dread Raven/Ararkoa Patrolling) and many other Iron horde hub/areas (with rylaks and cannons) it could work quite easily again no? The idea of IF flying returns, that some areas/mobs should be avoided or one has to navigate dangerously through/around is not unappealing to me by any means. The ground can be a very dangerous place for adventurers, I think it would only make sense if some area of the skies should be too, if not more so. For me it would add a much greater level of immersion imo, I find the idea of "Oh your on you flying mount... oh ok your safe and sound now, just go afk" in such a vast world (or warcraft) and the dangers within, well.. just a bit funny :P

(Or maybe I just have too many fond memories of seeing a Giant Kaliri and trying desperately to get out of it's flight path before it locked on a knocked me out of it's skies "Omg, Dice Dive DIVE!" :lol: )

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I never enjoyed that aspect of Outland. It only made it 10x more frustrating for me, personally. :( It's why I don't bother questing there anymore.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I wouldn't be against that idea and I think it's worth bringing up but man I have never hated a digital creature as much as I hated those birds!!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Wain wrote:I wouldn't be against that idea and I think it's worth bringing up but man I have never hated a digital creature as much as I hated those birds!!
I think making certain areas dangerous would be great. While those birds were a PITA, I still hate Murlocs the most. :-)
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Wain wrote:I wouldn't be against that idea and I think it's worth bringing up but man I have never hated a digital creature as much as I hated those birds!!
Those birds were one of the very few times my prot warrior had an advantage in everyday questing. It was nice having a character that couldn't be dismounted by them.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

...Naaaaaaah.

If I get dismounted on the ground, it's a minor annoyance. If I got dismounted in the air, it'd be obnoxious as hell. That said, I don't get dismounted anymore because of the stables, and mounted I can outfly anything anyways. Basically it'd just be random pointless mobs in the sky because we can outfly and they can't actually mess with us.

Unless you're wanting to render stables even more useless (it already kind of is for my paladin, I'm miffed. I just like the not needing to dismount thing/can't get dismounted.) which seems like a bad idea.

I mean if it's purely a lore IC reason then whatever. I just don't understand the reason to use resources to implement that kind of thing? Blizz says no flying. They don't need a reason. If someone doesn't like it, they can deal with it or play a different game.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The Iron horde have put a flying tax that is way to high and all of our characters are all cheap skates and wont pay. ;)
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

cowmuflage wrote:The Iron horde have put a flying tax that is way to high and all of our characters are all cheap skates and wont pay. ;)
Now that I can get behind.

"You need to pay 100k to fly."

"GUESS I'M NOT FLYING THEN."
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

if blizz was to make this exp flightless, they might aswell remove flying in all contents imo
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Ziroth wrote:if blizz was to make this exp flightless, they might aswell remove flying in all contents imo
...what a silly slippery slope.

You can't have flying in one xpac and that's grounds to remove all flight? Bro, if it bothers you that much hang out in Org all the time and sit on your flying mount. It's the same thing you'd be doing in Draenor if you could fly, except you'd be in your garrison.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Azunara wrote:
Ziroth wrote:if blizz was to make this exp flightless, they might aswell remove flying in all contents imo

You can't have flying in one xpac and that's grounds to remove all flight? Bro, if it bothers you that much hang out in Org all the time and sit on your flying mount. It's the same thing you'd be doing in Draenor if you could fly, except you'd be in your garrison.
Agreed. That's just silly.

LisaaraPokefarm

Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

^ im not those who would sit in stormwind all day doing nothing but flying arround, from when flying was put in to mop, ive always been about.

50-50% are complaining weather we should or shouldnt. its not silly to say about it imo