Darkmoon Race

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Darkmoon Race

Unread post by Wain »

If you missed it, there's a new race in the Darkmoon Faire that awards a pet toy if you're fast enough. It can take a lot of practice, but the race is actually a lot of fun and I don't mind at all. :)

It looks like completing the race achievement (finish in a time of 11 bell tolls or less) on different mounts (not your own, ones that are supplied for the race) will award different toys, but it appears only the one mount, a tallstrider, is available this month.

In future months there's also a "Big" version of the race coming, with more achievements that award toys and a pet.

The schedule for the different parts of the race opening is here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/180616 ... e-3-1-2015

My only thought after repeating it dozens and dozens and dozens of times now...

I want to shoot every member of that stupid awful fracking band that plays every half hour and then burn the remains!* ;)

- Half-delirious, half-insane rant over -

*The digital band, not the real-life people. Just to clarify :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Darkmoon Race

Unread post by Sukurachi »

You'd think after 10 years that the Tauren *********s (insert expletive that sounds like their real name) MIGHT have learned at least one new song?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm always surprised that they only use the one song when they have at least...5 or so? You'd think they'd mix it up a bit in game. :lol:

I'll have to try out the race tomorrow, it does look like fun. :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I can understand Blizzard is proud and supportive of their employees who formed a band, but... even if I liked the song (I do not), even if it was my favourite song in the entire world (it's pretty much the opposite of that), I would still get REALLY sick of hearing it every half hour or so. ;P

Anyway, I just found someone linked a video in the top comment here which apparently shows you how to do the course in 10 tolls (you need a time of 11 or under for the toy). I haven't tried their method, I found my own way in the end, but hopefully it's useful to someone :)

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9761 ... er-roadhog

I was wrong about the pet. It seems to come from the "Real Big Race" rather than "The Real Race", but I have no idea how to get on that (there's only one quest giver with the one daily) and I haven't found any info online yet. Anyone know? which I don't think is available this month.

Oh god, the band has started again. Must go.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, updated the initial post.

According to a comment on Wowhead (which I am assuming to be true), the "Big" version of the race, which will award more toys and the pet, isn't going to be available this month.

There will also be toy rewards for completing the race on different mounts. The mount you use is a special one set by the daily. Currently there's only a tallstrider. If the comment is correct then the other mounts won't become available until later months.

It sounds like they want to introduce new things to the race over time and keep it fresh, which I respect. :)
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Thanks for pointing out the video for the racing achievement. I'm never very good at figuring out these sort of things. :? Managed to get myself the new toy thanks to the vid. plus it gave me the push i needed to go get the other two new toys.

Tonk was just an hour of pathetic flailing around while i prayed that i would get enough double hits in to beat the timer.
My friend gave me a nice tip that got me the turtle ring achiv in one go through. To anyone who needs it, aim a ring in the center where the turtle always stops. wait for him to walk off and as soon as you see him start to make his way back toss one ring then wait for him to make his next loop back before you toss another.

Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

got both the other toys - tonka and rings, its just the race one is kinda *bugged* atm.. you get at the 1st post with 5 tolls, past it and it goes up 2-3 tolls - you need 10 to get the achive i think, so if you are even at 8 tolls and get to the last post itl go up to 10 by the time ur at the finish itl be 12-13. - hope it gets fixed soon :(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The tonk one actually requires the reverse of what you might expect: If you're alone you actually have way fewer targets than if it's crowded and it's almost impossible. It works better if you have a few friends join and just sit there.

Even though the targets of other players are invisible you can hit them. If you spam the fire button you'll notice your score go up way faster than the visible targets you destroy. It honestly seems to be the only way it's achievable.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I tried at least 15 times to get the 11 toll achievement but gave up, I couldn't get it. I always finished with 12-13.

I was starting to get mad so I figured I try again the next day, lol.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Wain wrote:The tonk one actually requires the reverse of what you might expect: If you're alone you actually have way fewer targets than if it's crowded and it's almost impossible. It works better if you have a few friends join and just sit there.
Yup, that's how I got it done. I had people queue in and just drive around in circles without attacking anything. It really upped the target count and I was able to hit 45 with maybe 5 seconds to spare.
Wain wrote:I can understand Blizzard is proud and supportive of their employees who formed a band, but... even if I liked the song (I do not), even if it was my favourite song in the entire world (it's pretty much the opposite of that), I would still get REALLY sick of hearing it every half hour or so. ;P
For me it was the actual race music that drove me bananas. I went to bed with it playing repeatedly in my head. It didn't help that I queued for about 30 races in a row.
Wain wrote:Anyway, I just found someone linked a video in the top comment here which apparently shows you how to do the course in 10 tolls (you need a time of 11 or under for the toy). I haven't tried their method, I found my own way in the end, but hopefully it's useful to someone :)

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9761 ... er-roadhog
That 10 toll video was extremely useful. I didn't follow it exactly but it gave me some idea as to where to shave off time in each section, since I kept hitting 12 and 13 tolls. Mostly I was not being direct enough at the end of the race, and those extra little swerves towards the gates cost you. After watching that video you mentioned, I got 11 tolls the next try!

ALSO - yes the race is buggy. Even with very little lag (I did it late at night, med pop server, to cut down on the graphic clutter) you can hit boots or springs or gates and sometimes not get the boost for hitting them. Twice I hit the color posts and didn't have them register even though I could see clearly that I had crossed into the boundary. The water walking aspect is a mess too... if you can use a class that has water walking (or better yet, a class speed boost like pallies) I recommend it. Sinking into the water for even a few yards can cost you.