Flying in WoW Discussion

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: No Flying in WoD period

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Junrei wrote:and the GM is right. Just cause they plan something doesn't mean it will be implemented. I've been saying that since the beginning. Don't cry wolf til the wolf is actually in sight. :3
I hope you are right.. You have a point though..*Me agree with you ? Shocking eh ? lol* They swore up and down, we never have old world flying.. Yet Cata came around. They even wanted Real ID for the Forums.. The public out cry was huge, and they decided in the end to not go ahead with it. I just hope they come around... I would like to come back, and I don't even mind dailies. I never really did. Timeless Isle was a good format that worked. You got to feel stronger as you got better and better gear. It didn't take much either, depending in your class.

Time will tell, how this plays out in the end. ;)
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Indeed! So we shall see. I find it best not to get in a panic. Better for your health, no?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

AdamSavage

Junrei wrote:Indeed! So we shall see. I find it best not to get in a panic. Better for your health, no?
Indeed. Stress/worrying is very bad for ones health. I'm personally not up in arms over this.. Disappointed and annoyed mostly. That's easy enough to get over though. The only thing we can do, is wait and see what Blizzards next move is. Someone suggested, they must have something really big planned and that's why they say they don't have plans for flying in any future content. It would make sense, depending on what that is...

As of right now, none of this makes any sense.. Blizzard is known to make bad decisions, but this just baffles me. I'm as confused over it, as anyone else.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Small update on the flying from Muffinus. It does look positive, so there is hope. Click on picture for full size, of course.

Dr. Who Video!

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

I'm not seeing anything in there that says they're considering changing their minds, Adam. Just that they're reading the commentary. They could read the commentary, shrug, and say "sucks to be you, then."

Until I see or hear about flight trainers in current content, the game time card I'm currently playing on will be the last one I'll spend money on. They can design the game as they wish, and I can choose not to consume a product that I no longer find enjoyable.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Tahlian wrote:I'm not seeing anything in there that says they're considering changing their minds, Adam. Just that they're reading the commentary. They could read the commentary, shrug, and say "sucks to be you, then."

Until I see or hear about flight trainers in current content, the game time card I'm currently playing on will be the last one I'll spend money on. They can design the game as they wish, and I can choose not to consume a product that I no longer find enjoyable.
Thinking same thing...I don't really see anything positive in that post.

Been in the process of getting a new job and moving so haven't played in the last few months, but I've been trying to find reasons to come back to this game in general over GW2. I've been waiting patiently for flying which would give me a strong reason to come back. I explored and did way more when I could fly, but now I just feel like they're removing what's almost always been always key feature in the game from the new stuff. Yes, I know it's still in the old stuff, but I'm not playing the old stuff, I'm trying to play the new stuff.

Anyways, this'll probably be the thing that completely drives me away from WoW. Been playing since shortly after TBC came out, and finally finding myself thinking about permanently quiting.

I hope you guys are still enjoying it tho, more power to ya.
AdamSavage

Tahlian wrote:I'm not seeing anything in there that says they're considering changing their minds, Adam. Just that they're reading the commentary. They could read the commentary, shrug, and say "sucks to be you, then."

I know... but I'm trying to see some positive out of it, vs being negative. I'm crossing my fingers something good will come out of it, but at the same time. I wont be at all surprised if they basically say, we are going through with this.

Dr. Who Video!

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Not to piss anyone off here but the amount of whining and crying and threats over this makes me want the pro flying crowd to loose this arguement big time. Not so much this forum but the blizzard forums, facebook groups and now a hashtag...seriously? I didn't care before but alot of people are acting like spoilt brats about this....

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

Castile wrote:Not to piss anyone off here but the amount of whining and crying and threats over this makes me want the pro flying crowd to loose this arguement big time. Not so much this forum but the blizzard forums, facebook groups and now a hashtag...seriously? I didn't care before but alot of people are acting like spoilt brats about this....
Have a shufti at this: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14755376320

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Nímrod wrote:
Castile wrote:Not to piss anyone off here but the amount of whining and crying and threats over this makes me want the pro flying crowd to loose this arguement big time. Not so much this forum but the blizzard forums, facebook groups and now a hashtag...seriously? I didn't care before but alot of people are acting like spoilt brats about this....
Have a shufti at this: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14755376320
I can only read the cached version at work but from what I gather you've posted a rational arguement for the flying camp? Thats fine I have no problem with posts like this - but the crying and downright dummy spit threads outnumber this 100-1 atm. And in the LONG time i've played things like this happen EVERYTIME blizzard dares to change the game yet people ulitmatly cope and life in the world of warcraft goes on...

Shadowlands

AdamSavage

Nímrod wrote:Have a shufti at this: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14755376320
Interesting read!

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

In case the thread gets taken down, I'm going to copy the main part into here. It's a lengthy read, so be warned!
Hohenheim wrote:Right. Let's do this. This is not the greatest thread in the world.

No, this is a repost.

This is a rephrased post I made on /r/wow (http://bit.ly/1cd6NjN) in response to Asmongold's video about flying. I promised to rewrite and repost this if enough people showed interest in it. Whoops.

If you want to read the original post, it's linked above. There is swearing in that one, but it also has a bunch of replies from other people and my replies to them... etc. I don't know if I'll keep up with the reposted version.

Swearing has been removed, by order of the King and no; there's still no TL;DR at the end. Either you read their argument and my [ranting and raving] rebuttal, or you don't bother at all. If you're not going to bother, why should I?

Levelling Difficulty/Flow/Whatever "example of a quest to break a prisoner out of an enemy camp. Normally, players would have to fight their way through it, but with flight they could simply drop in, grab their guy, and split."

This is a fair point - while levelling. However, every expansion except Cataclysm has had flying at level cap (and requires a decent chunk of gold, for your average player). Every expansion before has responded well to that (it's cap content that lets people down, not the levelling). It doesn't break levelling if you have it at cap, and since the player at cap is significantly more powerful than any quest expects, the point becomes moot.

If you've got a post-cap quest you want to be difficult (like the Garona sneaky mission, for example)? Add a debuff that prevents flying during it.

Targeted Exploration "like trying to figure out what's in that cave on top of a hill and how do I get up there."

Right, because if someone wants to do that while levelling, they can. Then, at cap, they can get flying and fly up there if they're on their tenth alt (because it's frustrating forcing a player to memorise the path up that mountain to get Leorajh). Or they can still choose to use ground mounts if they want.

Or, if you really want to prevent them flying straight to it, get creative and add a local air disturbance, add archers, add turrets that shoot them out of the sky. It can range from Fatigue-like impending doom to serious inconvenience like the turrets on the Krasarang Wild keeps.

Breaks World PVP (No quote for this, but it's a well known sentiment)

This would be true, if a few conditions were true:

1. Players were not spread out over 100 levels, across time and space, to such an extent that calling for help in Hillsbrad while levelling no longer brings the full fury of your faction down on that ganker.

2. Players were not sitting in their Garrison, and were instead in a faction city (like they actually said there would be) so that the other faction had somewhere worthwhile to attack. Do people idle in Ashran? I don't know. I never go there.

3. Getting to the fight didn't take forever. This isn't a dig about flightpaths, because flightpaths are great when I want to STOP playing the game for ten minutes. (Seriously - flightpaths force your player to stop playing the game. If you say they're scenic... well, I can appreciate it a lot more when I can control where I'm going).

Design Flaws "Having looked at how flying has played out in the old world in the last couple of expansions, we realized that while we were doing it out of this ingrained habit after we introduced flying in The Burning Crusade, it actually detracted from gameplay in a whole lot of ways,"

The problem here, right, is the fact that you don't know how to create 3D worlds. You're 2D oriented.

Look at Cataclysm's zones as a perfect example. There are hidden areas in every zone, in every axis. Cataclysm's zones were brilliant. The worst of them? Uldum and it still had undergound areas which were extremely fun to explore, level and quest in (with flying mounts). Would have been nice if Skywall was a proper zone, but ho-hum - chalk that up to Azjol-Nerub syndrome.

Speaking of which: remember back in Wrath, when we lamented the lack of Azjol-Nerub as an area under Northrend? We want 3D playable spaces that we can explore. At least one of the developers there can do it, unless you've fired them since Cata.

All that said, let's be realistic. There must be limits to flying.

1. No flying except at cap (at least until next expac is out). Like every expansion so far. Less affect on levelling experience than heirlooms or Recruit-A-Friend.

2. Debuff players after they dismount from flying. 50% stat reduction or something. There's your PVP issues resolved all at once - people will seek out foes, and either engage them with the advantage of surprise and savage (you love that term) disadvantage of the debuff (it's just an idea, so no; it's not perfect).

3. Prevent players from flying for five minutes or whatever (perhaps inverse scale based on time in PVP combat) after engaging in PVP. Still allowed to use ground mounts.

4. That aerial hazard thing I mentioned - winds that blow a player away from areas you don't want them to fly directly to. Turrets that defend major cities. Flying mobs that need to be avoided. (this sort of thing was in BC, in both hazard and mob form). All that aerial fire over Shattrath should be more than just flashy lights and repetitive sounds. Don't want someone flying during a quest? Debuff them from the start (Debuff: BEANS. Too much gastric distress to fly!).

5. Gold cost. Just another sink, but it means players have something cool to put their gold towards instead of another mount reskin (not a jab at the Runesaber, that design is smashing). Hell, if you want to get creative, make it a quest chain that costs gold to start. Then you go and kill mobs in heroic dungeons, or specific heroic bosses, to knock out their ability to take out flying players (which, by the way, is the worst way to disallow flying in a lore reason. Seriously? Ask a player to dodge stuff in a raid encounter like he's tapdancing on hot lava, and then just pretend they'd get shot out of the air if they tried to use a flying mount?)

There you go. If you read this far; thanks for reading. If you just skipped it, that's fine. Reading was hard when I was a baby, too.

Honestly? I don't even think Blizzard has been paying any attention to peoples feelings on flying, since they just trot out the same rubbish over and over again. Maybe next time, I'll write this on a wall in a cellar so it gets a more receptive audience. I'll try and pretend Blizzard is the wall, but at least with a wall the message actually sticks.
Edited by Hohenheim on 24/05/2015 23:56 BST

Dr. Who Video!

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

While reading about tanaan jungle I came across this - its blizzards reasons behind no flying. I think their pretty solid from their POV - as much as I miss my countless drakes I get why they have chosen this route.

Edit: Just to be clear, i like flying. very much so and can understand the frustration this will cause some people especially as a mount collector like myself will only get to use my beloved drakes in old content...But I also can see why they would choose this.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/864529 ... c-blizzard

"When Warlords of Draenor first hit, some fans were surprised to discover that even upon reaching the new level cap of 100, they couldn't fly with their air-based mounts in the new zones. Initially Blizzard expected to patch in flying at some point, but now it has changed its mind.

"Having looked at how flying has played out in the old world in the last couple of expansions, we realized that while we were doing it out of this ingrained habit after we introduced flying in The Burning Crusade, it actually detracted from gameplay in a whole lot of ways," Hazzikostas explains. "While there was certainly convenience in being able to completely explore the world in three dimensions, that also came at the expense of gameplay like targeted exploration, like trying to figure out what's in that cave on top of a hill and how do I get up there."

Hazzikostas gives an example: Before flying was introduced to World of Warcraft, if you got a quest to rescue a prisoner from an enemy encampment, it would play out a certain way. Players would need to fight their way through the camp. After flying, players could just fly into the center of camp, land on top of the hut where the prisoner is, free him and fly out.

"It made the world feel in many ways much smaller," he says.

Originally, Blizzard took out flying in Warlords of Draenor as an experiment, and Hazzikostas says he would have bet "slightly better than even money at the time" that they were going to bring it back eventually. But as they played the expansion and watched others play it, they discovered that they liked the game better without flying.

"The world feels larger, feels more dangerous," he says. "There's more room for exploration, for secrets, for discovery and overall immersion in the world. At this point, we feel that outdoor gameplay in World of Warcraft is ultimately better without flying. We're not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor, and that's kind of where we're at going forward."

Hazziokostas confirms that this direction includes future expansions, though he doesn't discount the possibility of adding flight options in to specific expansion ideas or zones that would benefit from it. In general, though, he believes that exploration in Blizzard's massive world "works better and feels better in our view when you're doing it from the ground."

He also promises that Blizzard will continue working to improve its network of taxi flight paths in the game to prevent any major frustration from this change: "The goal is to maximize convenience in getting from point a to point but retaining as much of the gameplay and depth as possible once you do get to that point."

Shadowlands

AdamSavage

I've seen that, and I personally think they are pretty weak excuses. It's not hard to counter these given reasons. I know for one, the zones look much different in the sky. As for the making the world feel bigger ? It's end game.. The only thing most people care about, is getting from point A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible. The whole "immersion in the world" is really old, and over used. By their own design, most of the population chose to sit in their garrison all the time.. That's not being very "immersion in the world" However, I've already talked about my thoughts on this.. I don't want to be get in it to it again.

One of the MVP'S talk's about it somewhat: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ge=70#1398

Dr. Who Video!

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

AdamSavage wrote:I've seen that, and I personally think they are pretty weak excuses. It's not hard to counter these given reasons. I know for one, the zones look much different in the sky. As for the making the world feel bigger ? It's end game.. The only thing most people care about, is getting from point A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible. The whole "immersion in the world" is really old, and over used. By their own design, most of the population chose to sit in their garrison all the time.. That's not being very "immersion in the world" However, I've already talked about my thoughts on this.. I don't want to be get in it to it again.

One of the MVP'S talk's about it somewhat: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ge=70#1398
To be fair they can counter each of those points pretty easily with their arguement and those reasons are just as weak tbh. Allow me to play devils advocate...

"the zones look much different in the sky" - Flight paths achieve the same sight seeing perspective but are you really looking at the scenary if you are...

"The only thing most people care about, is getting from point A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible" - again the more abundance of flight paths counters this - and when i did fly from point a to b all i did was look at the map, set auto run (or fly in this case) and go afk as it where. no different to sitting on a flight path (except there was no danger of me flying off into the sea!)

""immersion in the world" is really old, and over used" - but its their world to with as they please. We don't even own our characters technically - I think this is just a cop out on the pro flying debate behalf. Its a good point they are making. Skipping mobs does remove you from the immersion of the game, of how it used to be. No one wants to see Moonbrook again but swooping in on a quest item and merrily flying off is what they want to get away from and fair point.

"By their own design, most of the population chose to sit in their garrison all the time" - again thats our choice. I personally don't and if it gets to the point where I am, I log off. There are things to do people just don't want to do them or won't admit thats the case. And last expansion all we heard was QQ TOO MANY DAILIES, TOO MANY THINGS TO DO! so in this respect they really can't win.

The only really strong point against not allowing flying again would be the amount of flying mounts in game. They made the rylak mount and advertised it specifically towards fighting the Iron Horde in the air. Why even make this mount? To flop on the ground while you fight the iron horde? This seemed a silly thing to do. They also released the achievement where you earn the Emerald Drake a long awaited mount but now if they ever do release an emerald dream expansion you won't get to use it. Granted the new achievements now only seem to have ground based mounts but as someone with over 300 mounts this is probably the biggest lose to the game i see by removing it. By my own admission I can just go hang out in an old city if i want to fly around but ofcourse i'd rather be doing current content for the most part so meh.

Either way its out of our hands so i guess we can just wait and see.

Shadowlands

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Personally, I'd be rather sad if the did not allow flying in WoD at all, but I do understand many of the points raised as to why they don't want it.
The few main points immersion/making the world a smaller place/etc, seem not overly prominent towards the very end of an expansion imo, hopefully one would have explored the majority of the new expansion on foot by then. So for me, I would still be ok if they held off til the final patch of an expansion to introduce it, but to never be able to explore the skies of draenor, would be a real shame. (Though I LOVE flying too much for its on good, so I'm a little bias :D )

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
AdamSavage

The thing with the taxi is I have no control over where it goes. I'm stuck on it, on the same flight path, going the same height. As for the dailies.. The only outcry due to the dailies was the start of MOP. They went overboard on that. Which is typical of Blizzard. They always seem to swing pendulum too far to the right or left.

Timeless isle is still dailies but it didn't feel like a big chore. Many people geared up alts there. It was a good system that worked. You could farm for pets, mounts. Do pet battles, collect pets. Explore.. I liked Timeless Isle.

Not sure why the Moonbrook reference though, or how it's related to end game content.

Dr. Who Video!

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

AdamSavage wrote:
Not sure why the Moonbrook reference though, or how it's related to end game content.
A long time ago in a Westfall far far away...in order to get to Deadmines you'd have to battle the unending mobs of Moonbrook. This was immersion to the extreme! i.e. things can go too far. It has no relation to endgame more as the world experience as a whole.

I had no problem with the dailies either - when i wasn't raiding anymore. When i was raiding they did become abit too much as that took up all my time in game. But that was just my perspective. I also loved the timeless isle and wouldn't mind an equivalent - perhaps with flying as something unique if they still go down the no flying at all in dreanor road.

Shadowlands

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'd be okay with them not allowing flying until the next expansion. Like...hmm....if this makes sense.

Current Expansion: No flying
Next expansion comes along: Allow flying in Draenor, no flying in new expansion area.

Rinse and repeat. I'd be totally fine with this.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Junrei wrote:I'd be okay with them not allowing flying until the next expansion. Like...hmm....if this makes sense.

Current Expansion: No flying
Next expansion comes along: Allow flying in Draenor, no flying in new expansion area.

Rinse and repeat. I'd be totally fine with this.
I'd be ok with this also. Or allowing flying at the big patch prior to the next expansion. For me, I like the feel of launching into the air.