Flying in WoW Discussion

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: No Flying in WoD period

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Small updated from a Blue. I'm trying to stay positive as best I can, but I feel like they just stonewalled us. Basically saying, we get your upset and we reading the feedback.. Yet we don't have any plans to do anything about it. That's how I see it. Others will likely see it differently.
Bashiok wrote:Thanks everyone for your continued feedback and discussion on the topic. The development team is actively reading it and discussing it, and will certainly continue to in the days ahead. We’re all as passionate about working on WoW as we are playing it, and we're dedicated to making it a great experience. As always, we'll let you know if we have any further information to share.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

To me it says they are hearing us and keeping our opinions in mind when they discuss things. Changes are never immediate.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

AdamSavage

Junrei wrote:To me it says they are hearing us and keeping our opinions in mind when they discuss things. Changes are never immediate.
Nor anything they say is set in stone. I recall them be very adamant about no flying old world, and yet Cata came out. We even got them to reverse the Real ID on the forums idea.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Exactly. So take what is said with a grain of salt. Even if they do go with this, they could change their minds at a later date.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

Love flying or hate flying, they're trying to stuff a genie back into its bottle despite it having been out for the majority of the game's life. I know they regret having introduced free flight and all the headaches it causes, but they can't cram the genie back in the bottle and continue on like nothing happened. It's too late to yank out a feature that had been a staple for so long in so much content.

Design decisions like this are why I stopped playing.
AdamSavage

Ket Shi wrote:Love flying or hate flying, they're trying to stuff a genie back into its bottle despite it having been out for the majority of the game's life. I know they regret having introduced free flight and all the headaches it causes, but they can't cram the genie back in the bottle and continue on like nothing happened. It's too late to yank out a feature that had been a staple for so long in so much content.

Design decisions like this are why I stopped playing.
They would spend less effort, just making the game around flying. Sort of like they did in Cata.. Why not just design the came with flying involved. I would love to do daily's that require me to use a flying mount.

Dr. Who Video!

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I don't understand the decision either when it's been in the game this long. I get that it's Blizzards game and they can do whatever they wish - but after flight has been such a huge part of the game for so long what are they thinking? I've always thought that starting an expansion off with no flying and then enabling it a patch later was always the best course of action. This way people will be able to fully experience the continent on the ground and in the air. And I find exploration from the air can be arguably just as breathtaking.

I mean is removing flying really so important to the devs that they're perfectly happy upsetting millions of faithful players?

I don't know. I just think this thing has gotten so out of hand when they could have simply let it be.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Wellll~ For the people who really want flying... FF14 is releasing their first expan in a little bit that has flying black chocobos ;P Could get your fix there!

Siggy under construction!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I remember some players blowing the whistle back in PTR saying that if we did not tell them no back when they were saying "its just until the next patch" that they would try and remove it forever. I remember telling those people to chill. beta was beta, the devs were not that crazy, ect ect.
well.. to all those people who warned us, sorry to have said you were being over dramatic. I was dead wrong. =/
i can't believe they are trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle. it has been a core part of the game for most of its life. it may not be as hard core as stuff like raiding and pvp but it has an impact. Pet battles, arch and exploration all lost their appeal to me after one to many instances were i ran all the way out too the far corners of the world only to get stuck in a hole and have to hearth back home.
not to mention the mount controversy it had added. a lot of people like collecting flying mounts but this xpack has had very few and the ones we do have players feel conflicted about because they feel broken in current content.
its all quite a shame.

i decided to quit just days before the announcement hit and it really drove off any lingering feelings or doubts i had about going. Love the game but WoD was just too full of little problems that made my love for the game bleed to death. this choice was just one of the many cuts.
Last edited by SylviaDragon on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

AdamSavage

SylviaDragon wrote:i can't believe they are trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle. it has been a core part of the game for most of its life. it may not be as hard core as stuff like raiding and pvp but it has an impact. Pet battles, arch and exploration all lost their appeal to me after one to many instances were i ran all the way out to the far corners of the world only to get stuck in a hole and have hearth back home
I can't believe it myself... I find it hard to believe, they don't see the negative effect this will have on the game. The sub numbers have been dropping sense Wrath, and with no flying and shorter expansions with lacking content.. It's going to dip further and further. In 5 years time, we may very well see a nearly dead game, if they keep going on the path they are on right. With all the different types of MMO's out there the competition is very high. They should be trying to keep the players, and not drive them away by the 1,000's. Like my Dad always said "Let em learn the hard way"

Maybe that's they need, is to learn the hard way. I hope, by the time they do learn. That it's already not too late.

Dr. Who Video!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Or maybe they have a big plan? You never know.
AdamSavage

cowmuflage wrote:Or maybe they have a big plan? You never know.
It's possible. They have been tightlipped about the no flying. It's the only thing that would make sense to a point.. I would have to see this big plan of theirs, before I could understand why they would take away something we have had for 8 years now. Not even sure if it will come up in the Q&A

Dr. Who Video!

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Bowno wrote:Wellll~ For the people who really want flying... FF14 is releasing their first expan in a little bit that has flying black chocobos ;P Could get your fix there!
Please...people don't just go ff14 because it has flying.
Come/try ff14 because your simply interested in the game as a whole. I you come only for flying then the chance is big your going to be disappointed.

For me personally the whole no flight thing was the straw that broke the camels back. It was simply stacked on the already current problems that WoD for me had.
I already played ff14 before SoO came out. The only reason I dropped the game back then was because I was still in a raiding guild so I dint want to let them down. unfortunately the guild died somewhere short after 6.1. which was a shame, but it gave me a chance again to try it out and I am enjoying myself.
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

xD Malackai is right. 14 is pretty fun. Don't just come for flying ;P

Siggy under construction!

AdamSavage

Wonder if the Q&A next week, will be like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEs6YhCEO8

Seriously though, I have no idea what it will be like. I hope they do touch base on the no flying and explain the reasoning behind.

Dr. Who Video!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

AdamSavage wrote:Wonder if the Q&A next week, will be like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEs6YhCEO8

Seriously though, I have no idea what it will be like. I hope they do touch base on the no flying and explain the reasoning behind.
Ah, the purple one is us, the fan base. The yellow one is Blizzard in the Q&A and the banana is the flying they won't let us have.

Pretty accurate if you ask me. :lol:
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/198005 ... -6-10-2015

Flying WILL be allowed in Draenor, BUT you need to work for it. I'm okay with it.

LisaaraPokefarm

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Junrei wrote:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/198005 ... -6-10-2015

Flying WILL be allowed in Draenor, BUT you need to work for it. I'm okay with it.

I'm really a sucker for achievements like that. So I'm really happy about this upcoming achievement and its compromise. I think its more than fair way to earn flying.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

That's good news! I like this system better, making us work for it by doing all the ground exploration and some other things they wanted us to immerse ourselves into while playing the game. Best part is that at least it won't cost us a huge amount of gold for it. Not that gold isn't easy to get now, but it was getting tiresome after awhile, and also kind of anti-climatic.
ImageImage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

It's not even caving in either. It's compromise and I am SO proud of Blizzard for doing that. It's still sticking with what they want of us while still giving people what they want.

LisaaraPokefarm