"Iconic" icon woes / replacements.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

"Iconic" icon woes / replacements.

Unread post by Xota »

There are some icons that don't fit will with the spells (or items) they're supposed to represent, especially the one from wow classic. And then there's the very similar (or identical spells) that several classes have, but with different icons/names (eg: taunt, kick, rez).
A long time ago, blizzard was going to update some of them, but decided not to because the old icons were "iconic". The players associated them with the spell, and springing new icons on players would be a PITA because many would be frustrated that "well enough" wasn't left alone and they had to get used to new icons (and some, I'm sure, would complain the new ones were worse).

But there's some that even after 10 years I don't recognize when I'm staring right at them. There's a few solutions, that let people keep icons they like, but replace ones they don't. I think it's unlikely, but blizzard could add a SetSpellIcon and SetItemIcon functions (that would probably lockdown in combat). The next two are for players, and the easiest is just to add a new (or reapropriated) icon in the Interface/Icons folder to override the original. The downside it is will override that icon for every spell and item it's associated with. The more difficult is to write an addon that intercepts a lot of the function calls that return an icon, and remap them keyed on something like spell/item name and original icon. The downside to that is you aren't able to click off buffs, and vehicle UI screws up sometimes. But I'm getting off track.

I finally got tired of two warlock spells in particular (summoning stone and soul well), and couldn't find icons from other spells to use, so I made my own. They better represent the spells, but look kind of like the old icons too. I thought I'd share. Just put the blp in your Interface/Icons folder (make one if it's not there), and rename spell_shadow_twilight.blp and spell_shadow_shadesofdarkness.blp. If you change your mind, just remove or rename the files. You have to restart the game for icons to update (not just reload or relog).

If anyone else had replacement icons they've made, please share.

ImageImageImage
Attachments
summon2.png
summon2.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 864 times
warlock icons.zip
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
summon3.png
summon3.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 864 times
soulwell2.png
soulwell2.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: "Iconic" icon woes / replacements.

Unread post by Xota »

And for hunters, disengage. Shares icon with rogue's feint, I think this works better for both. Just put in interface/icons folder, and remove the part after blp.
Attachments
ability_rogue_feint.png
ability_rogue_feint.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 864 times
ability_rogue_feint.blp.notreallyazip.zip
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

You made those? Those are really cool :)

I never knew you could replace icons that easily.

I know that Blizzard disapproves of some database modifications but it sounds like this is more inline with a UI add-on mod?

Very cool, anyway.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Xota wrote:And for hunters, disengage. Shares icon with rogue's feint, I think this works better for both. Just put in interface/icons folder, and remove the part after blp.
Yeah I do the same Xota. I find that sometimes some hunter icons just look to similar for my taste. I make a LOT of macros and end up just replaceing ones that I personally feel represent what it is a bit better (like yours ;) )

I don't play that may classes (And doubt I ever will) so I fortunately have yet to get confused by icons I have stolen from them.

I really do like those new icons though, you can tell exactly what they used for and I don't even play a warlock :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:You made those? Those are really cool :)

I never knew you could replace icons that easily.

I know that Blizzard disapproves of some database modifications but it sounds like this is more inline with a UI add-on mod?

Very cool, anyway.
Blizzard is A-Okay if you drop them in the directory. It's just like if you use the old rifle sounds. You're not actually going into the database, blizzard made the game check your files.
The addon I use is less clear cut (so I don't release it). It taints some function calls, but it doesn't go against what I assume the spirit of securing those functions (to prevent icon swapping in combat). I did the core of the addon shortly before they were made secure.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Pretty nifty! Like SpiritBinder I had a much more low tech solution to the fact that I didn't like certain icons (namely deterrence and disengage) - I made simple macros to cast the spell/ability, and just picked out an existing icon of my choosing.

My deterrence icon is a shield, which is what I think of when I use it. Disengage is a guy getting flung through the air, very similar to the one you show.