hunter targeting

seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

hunter targeting

Unread post by seclipse »

yay! its so bad now im debating benching my hunter now. tab.click targeting is more annoying that anything, all because some hunters who had no self control cried about mis pulls so much now they broke it for everyone. i for one never miss pulled. not like it was hard to actually check what you were targeting.

from all teh rage on the forums about this im hoping it gets fixed soon. or else it looks like my pally is my new main. im loosin dps because i have to manually switch targets now when one dies. may not sound like its hard but that second or two to MANUALLY re target something is killin me.

anyone know of a macro to auto target like it used to be? ill love you forever
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Re: hunter targeting

Unread post by Moore »

Isn't there a setting that turns off the new targeting thing now? Probably in the options menu somewhere o3o

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Interface > Combat.
I'm not entirely sure what the complaint is about. I've always got /assist on the tank, so I've not had an awful lot of snags with it.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Yeah, it's under interface>combat. Toggle that and you're set.

I do take a bit of umbrage to "all because some hunters who had no self control cried about mis pulls so much now they broke it for everyone." When a mob dies in the middle of a cobra shot cast or a hunter hits arcane/explosive shot just as a mob dies should *not* result in an automatic re-target and initiation of autoshot. At the least it was a mild annoyance resulting in grabbing mobs you didn't want or breaking your own freeze trap during a pull. At it's worst it's an unintentional boss pull. Magmaw was particularly annoying with the gigantic hit box he had until last night.

I never really have figured out why the old menu option was removed from the combat menu a while back. Still, it's a bit knee-jerk to say that having to check/uncheck a setting is serious enough to bench your character. Personally, I plan to disable it while raiding/instancing and keep it on when solo'ing. Hunters have seen a number of ups and downs since vanilla and we've persevered and ridden them all out.

One thing to remember both in game and here on the forums is that just because one person prefers things a certain way doesn't mean that everyone does. By implying that anyone who doesn't agree with a personal opinion is inept and/or a whiner, one degrades one's argument significantly. A little thought and maturity when posting goes a long way.
seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

read the post. confirm before you post :)
the thing under interface/combat does not change auto targeting like it used to be, it just stops auto attack when you change targets. the current hunter targeting does not acquire a new target after you've killed one UNLESS you manually tab or click to target it unlike the old method that would just target the closest target.
all good i got a fix for the time being. adding a /startattack macro to my attacks did the trick but i cant see them keeping targeting like this lol there alot of angry hunters on the forums.

and assist target/tank is fine and grand unless ur on adds.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

seclipse wrote:read the post. confirm before you post :)
the thing under interface/combat does not change auto targeting like it used to be, it just stops auto attack when you change targets. the current hunter targeting does not acquire a new target after you've killed one UNLESS you manually tab or click to target it unlike the old method that would just target the closest target.
all good i got a fix for the time being. adding a /startattack macro to my attacks did the trick but i cant see them keeping targeting like this lol there alot of angry hunters on the forums.

and assist target/tank is fine and grand unless ur on adds.

Still, it's not broken as you claim. In the old days, there was an option to toggle what you're talking about. The current one does help in that it does stop one from autoattacking due to an unintentional retarget.

Again, it's good to review one's reply before posting in order to attempt to avoid sounding patronizing or condescending. As I stated, just because you're not happy with something that changed doesn't mean that others might feel differently. This is something to consider when posting. Stating that those who don't share your viewpoint are somehow incapable or inferior will tend to provoke negative views of your arguments.
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Boven wrote: One thing to remember both in game and here on the forums is that just because one person prefers things a certain way doesn't mean that everyone does. By implying that anyone who doesn't agree with a personal opinion is inept and/or a whiner, one degrades one's argument significantly. A little thought and maturity when posting goes a long way.

This. We get that you're upset with the change, but insulting fellow players is just uncalled for.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

If you're on adds theres generally quite a few of them, so I don't understand the problem in just slapping tab. :S

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

i personally have been tabbing ever since WotLK came out and with the auto attack toggled off i quickly do a run through of the mobs using the tab once over to see what debuffs are on what, are they CC'd, are they unaggroed and thats why i dont see a 'target of your target' window under their frame and then after that i tab till i get the desired target.

It is slow and dps suffers slightly (theres no way to correct that honestly imo) but its far better then trying to manually grab your targets frame when you have like 5-6 allies in melee (players and pets, even non combat pets ive had the occasional issue with) and like 3-4 or possibly more depending on how much was aggroed mobs and your trying to pick one one specific mob.. :3

Just trying to say that tabbing isnt so bad... im typing it with a happy attitude, not a sour one... im not so comfortable speaking my thoughts on things much anymore since ive been attacked a few times from people not being ale to understand the thoughts i trying to convey to the thread, they cant understand that everyone has their own way of thinking and speaking :S

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Dewclaw wrote:
Boven wrote: One thing to remember both in game and here on the forums is that just because one person prefers things a certain way doesn't mean that everyone does. By implying that anyone who doesn't agree with a personal opinion is inept and/or a whiner, one degrades one's argument significantly. A little thought and maturity when posting goes a long way.

This. We get that you're upset with the change, but insulting fellow players is just uncalled for.
Agreed. I disliked it because I have had it accidentally pull extra mobs because I just assume that I've tabbed into the mobs that are in combat or because I didn't see it go off. Thankfully it's only ever been in low level dungeons, but I'm sorry you think me inferior because I don't always have split second reactions to everything my character and party are doing around me.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I actually miss the auto-targetting as well. I didn't experience troubles with accidentally pulling from another group, it was just a convenient aspect that I'm accustomed to playing with after all these years. I liked being able to quickly hit Arcane Shot or another similar ability and immediately have my target without fumbling with tabbing or click targetting. I'll have to try to get used to tabbing I suppose, but the way I have my hands on my keyboard plus a lack of habit of doing that makes it a bit clunky for me. I preferred the automatic target from before.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I definitely found the auto-targeting semi-useful while out on my own soloing; but I've had it mess me up in dungeons and pull stuff I never meant to. =/

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

*nod nod*

#showtooltip
/cast Cobra Shot
/startattack

^-- That macro, should fix the use of Arcane Shot/Cobra/anything you'd like to macro in it, like in prepatch.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

This will take some getting used to but on the plus side I can take off my auto spell from my action bar.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

yeah it sucks. my
/cast arcane shot
/petattack target
macro stopped working too along with all other attempts at auto targeting. =.= i did however look around and find a nice macro that will still autotarget for me. i will go ahead and post it in 30 min when i can get back on wow and copy it down and you guys can try it out if erwil's dosnt work for some reason.

Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

Vephriel wrote:I actually miss the auto-targetting as well. I didn't experience troubles with accidentally pulling from another group, it was just a convenient aspect that I'm accustomed to playing with after all these years. I liked being able to quickly hit Arcane Shot or another similar ability and immediately have my target without fumbling with tabbing or click targetting. I'll have to try to get used to tabbing I suppose, but the way I have my hands on my keyboard plus a lack of habit of doing that makes it a bit clunky for me. I preferred the automatic target from before.
I have to agree a 100% on this. I think it's very hard getting used to, when you've been able to target the old way for such a long time. Been so frustrated at this since the patch hit, that I haven't even felt like playing my hunter. I seriously hope there will be implemented some option to turn this on/off..

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ok i have my macro for you guys :D it can do a ton of stuff so feel free to edit it to fit your needs. it will do the fallowng:
auto target, (duh)
cast hunters mark (once per mob targeted)
cast arcane shot (replace with desierd shot, i recomend an instant cast but do what you want)
send you pet to attack the same target as you. (its a life saver in pvp and helpful in pve as well idk how i lived without it.)

/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
#show Arcane Shot
/castsequence reset=target/alt/100 Hunter's Mark,a
/cast Arcane Shot
/petattack target

Hope this helps :)

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Vephriel wrote:I actually miss the auto-targetting as well. I didn't experience troubles with accidentally pulling from another group, it was just a convenient aspect that I'm accustomed to playing with after all these years. I liked being able to quickly hit Arcane Shot or another similar ability and immediately have my target without fumbling with tabbing or click targetting. I'll have to try to get used to tabbing I suppose, but the way I have my hands on my keyboard plus a lack of habit of doing that makes it a bit clunky for me. I preferred the automatic target from before.
^ This, is perfectly my thoughts too. Epsecailly "I liked being able to quickly hit Arcane Shot or another similar ability and immediately have my target without fumbling with tabbing or click targetting. I'll have to try to get used to tabbing I suppose, but the way I have my hands on my keyboard" x1000

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Thanks to everyone who posted those macros! They seem to work perfectly and I can once again auto target. It's a slight inconvenience making a macro for each of my main shots, but I'm just glad there's a workaround. :)
Dubhsidhe
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Dubhsidhe »

I never had a problem.. I always tabbed even with the old style of tapping Arcane, but I usually had assigned targets from my tank because of the amount of aggro I seemed to generate.

Plus I played melee dps before this.