Clicking

Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Clicking

Unread post by Flyra »

Hey guys :D . I was watching youtube videos earlier of people soloing instances and one player was clicking instead of pressing keys and I was in complete and utter shock at the comments on her video. It was just pages and pages of abuse about it, calling her a noob and to quit and such. I mean, she had made the video to help people and all..ugh, it made me mad. Some people were even going to the length of saying its because she's female.

Anyway, I looked into it and clicking obviously takes heaps off of your dps because pressing keys is faster... I have played WoW for about 2 years and have always clicked. I never realized there was anything wrong with it until last year but I forgot about it until now. I guess seeing all that hate was a wake up call :? .
I don't think I'm doing bad by clicking, I've asked people to evaluate my dps in the past without telling them that I click and they said it was pretty good. Even though I am quite a speedy "clicker" and have gotten so used to it, I do want to break out of this habit.

I was trying earlier and I ended up just getting frustrated as I was constantly looking at the bar and the keyboard and I ended up logging off to sulk :lol: . It just feels so uncomfortable for me, I have never learnt to touch-type, so it does not come naturally. I don't know where anything is! I've tried googling ideas some people were suggesting using keybinds by holding shift .. I think I died a little inside reading this. It's so confusing and I have gnome hands.

So, I was wondering if anyone else clicks/did click and have any tips to help break the habit? Such as keybinds/macros/addons (Im hopeless with keybinds but would like to use them). I don't have any addons to change my set-up either, so suggestions for this would be great :).

Why do people get so mad at clicking anyway? I've seen people less angry at having loot stolen.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Re: Clicking

Unread post by Castile »

I have done heroic progression raiding and guess what? I click! Most of my abilities are on GCD's so keybinds don't really help that much anyway when you have to wait for the spell. The only abilities i do bind to my mouse are 3 shots...thats it.

Healing I keybound my spells and had roll over macros but when your watching health bars the whole fight its alot easier for me. As a dps you are switching between so many cd's no way could i remember that many keys! Another dps in my raid group who ranks on Worldoflogs clicks also and it doesn't hurt his dps either.

If you really want to bind things give it a go but unless your really behind your team because you click I wouldn't stress about it. Play the way you feel the most comfortable with. Some people like to get mad over nothing :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

I didn't stop clicking until I started doing Arena. I only really have 1-0, a,d, and 2 buttons on my mouse keybound though. Anything with a cooldown over 30 seconds I click.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I still do clicking with a mix of typing....but I never saw a difference. /shrug My DPS was always the same

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I do a hybrid of typing and clicking too. Like Slapper, anything to the right of 4 or 5 is usually clicked. But it really depends on the fight and what I'm trying to do with my mouse at the time for moving. There are times when I have to strafe a lot, for example, and so click spells so that my fingers are free for rapid strafing. That kind of thing.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

When I was playing, I mainly macro'd the living daylights out of my mouse wheel/buttons, so just about all my shots were just a mouse button plus any combination of shift/ctrl/alt (e.g. alt-shift-wheel-down => Distracting Shot, alt-shift-wheel-up => Concussive, etc). Towards the end I did the same for the traps, and put them on the Z X C keys (e.g X => immo trap, alt-X => exploding trap, shift-X => trap-launched immo, alt-shift-X => trap-launched explo, etc). The various utility/survival abilities I kept on 1-4 on the various action bars, so at most they were a two-key combo away (e.g. 2 => Disengage, shift-2, 2 => Feign Death in slot 2 on second action bar).

I found that once I went with a logical scheme, it all sunk in very quickly and I my hands were responding to what I wanted to do without thinking about what/where the ability actually was. For me using the shift/alt/ctrl keys made a huge difference to my raid performance, as once I'd done that I had a lot more spare fingers for movement - even for a alt-shift-ctrl-mouse command, I could still be running/strafing =)

Of course, some days you just can't stay out of the fire no matter how hard you try... >.>
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

A really easy way is to get a multi button mouse i find. I have a razor naga. It has 12 buttons (overkill i know) but you can bind 3 or 4 abilities and use your thumb to click. Alot easier than a keyboard. It also frees up your other hand to strafe etc. So i use in combination with clicking.

My fiance has one of those pads with a little keyboard and direction pad, Nostromo I think its called. He finds it very useful for games like LoL and Battlefield. Think he uses it to heal too in wow on his pally. You can use it to move as well as keybind to the little pad.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I do pretty much what slapper does as well. 1-5, I can usually use my fingers, or if its like 4 skills where I know where they are, I use fingers(ex my windwalker monk). The rest of the time I click(especially my hunter cause BM is so cooldown based....).

LisaaraPokefarm

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Really depends on your situation if your in a really hardcore/die hard progressing guild then clicking might be more of a handicap I guess.

But keybind/clicking for me personally really depends on the game I am playing.
I do have a razor naga tho but still .....

Some games I play:
Tera your not able to click ( combat is with aiming there so ...) so I everything was keybinded there had no troubles with it.
Aion hybrid between keybind and come spells click (was pretty nifty what you could do with the macros there so I could make nice combo chains)
FF14 one of the most recent games I started I simply went full key bind from the start there not many skills you have and seeing GCD is pretty high and the game doesn't feel to spammy so that makes keybinding easier for me.
Dragon Prophet (has similar combat mechanics as Tera) so full key bind for me there as well

WOW however has always been either full click and now hybrid for me, I simply cannot get used to full key binding(attempted so many times in the last 7-8 years but) the combat is way to spammy and within like 15-30 minutes my wrists fingers hurt like hell especially when raiding. When on new alts I do start our with full keybind but I soon swap back to hybrid when the amount of skills available start to get overwhelming >_>...

I always say just do what you feel most comfortable with and if people don't complain or saying your doing fine then I don't see a problem at all.
don't understand why the person in the movie was getting so much flak tbh if she was making a tutorial and she still managed to successfully completed the task she was making the tutorial for, who cares if she clicks/ keybinds or trowing her voluptuous "assets" on the keyboard to accomplish such task?
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Malackai wrote:Really depends on your situation if your in a really hardcore/die hard progressing guild then clicking might be more of a handicap I guess.

But keybind/clicking for me personally really depends on the game I am playing.
I do have a razor naga tho but still .....

Some games I play:
Tera your not able to click ( combat is with aiming there so ...) so I everything was keybinded there had no troubles with it.
Aion hybrid between keybind and come spells click (was pretty nifty what you could do with the macros there so I could make nice combo chains)
FF14 one of the most recent games I started I simply went full key bind from the start there not many skills you have and seeing GCD is pretty high and the game doesn't feel to spammy so that makes keybinding easier for me.
Dragon Prophet (has similar combat mechanics as Tera) so full key bind for me there as well

WOW however has always been either full click and now hybrid for me, I simply cannot get used to full key binding(attempted so many times in the last 7-8 years but) the combat is way to spammy and within like 15-30 minutes my wrists fingers hurt like hell especially when raiding. When on new alts I do start our with full keybind but I soon swap back to hybrid when the amount of skills available start to get overwhelming >_>...

I always say just do what you feel most comfortable with and if people don't complain or saying your doing fine then I don't see a problem at all.
don't understand why the person in the movie was getting so much flak tbh if she was making a tutorial and she still managed to successfully completed the task she was making the tutorial for, who cares if she clicks/ keybinds or trowing her voluptuous "assets" on the keyboard to accomplish such task?
100% agreed!

Diablo is another one of those games you can't click, tbh. You use your mouse to move so you need to use the keys to attack while moving. Luckily, there's only like...1-4 and Q to use so it's not a lot compared to WoW.

LisaaraPokefarm

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

So there is this guy on youtube.

he is good at wow.

this helped me so much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iq8AEEUYy0

(WARNING! SOME STRONG LANGUAGE)
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Wow , wasn't expecting so many responses! Thanks for all the suggestions I've taken to the idea of just using the 1-5 keys at first on a separate action bar so I can switch back and forth to practice. I'm not a hardcore raider so I can take it slow :lol: I'll definitely check that video out, I'm actually subbed to that guy but never seen that vid! :o
I can't thank you all enough! :D

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I use a mix with keys and clicking too. My dps isn't bad so I think it works. I have everything I use often on my hunters on keys (1 to `) and some more on action bar 2 where I can switch to with "shift". Everything with long cooldowns like stampede or rapid fire I click on. I also use the addon Healbot. It's great for my priestess and druid as healers. I have every important spell I need bound on my mouse and only heal with healbot by now. This way I can have an other target than the one I'm healing or even deal dps while healing easily. I also use Healbot on my hunters. I have a macro for my spirit beast's spirit mend I can cast on me or other players via healbot and I have "target" in healbot so I can use misdirection on whoever I want without switching targets. It's especially handy if you want to give the tank misdirection for a boss but already have the boss in target. Just click on misdirection and then on the person in Healbot. It is also really nice if you want to battlerezz someone with your Quilen. You click on the person in healbot and if you have your target toggled in your minimap you instantly see where the person is without having to look around on a ground cluttered with spells and dead npcs.

I hope you understand what I mean. It's not that easy to express my complex healbot use in English :D

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

I did heroic raids as well and really only do clicking (the most I did was mousebound some things on my healer to the buttons on it). I don't think anyone in my guild realized I was a clicker, cause with the GCD, there's more than enough time to get my mouse in the right spot (and I'm really damn fast with my mouse). I think you can go with whatever works best for ya and it would be just fine.
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

Well I have played wow for 9 years and I still click! When I was pvping on my priest, I was one of the most sought out priest healers when it came to arenas and rbgs on my server. I would log on and get an insta invite. And yes Im a clicker!! lol. Once I tried to use healbot and everyone died haha.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I click or use the 1-5 buttons for my main abilities. I tried keybinding stuff, but just really would rather enjoy the game then try to remember whether or not I am suppose to hold ctrl pr alt or whatever while pushing mouse button something...Heck I still use the default WoW UI.
I tried heal bot but got rid of it because I was staring at players names so much I never really got to "see" the fights...boring. so I went back to clicking, and found myself enjoying things more.

Each person has their own play style preferences and its no-one else's business how other people play.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

I have played since BC and still click, but I have started using a few keybinds though. Honestly i do better with clicking , since I suck with full keybinds lol. It works for what I do ingame, since I dont hardcore raid or ranked pvp. Only game I do more keybinding in is Gw2 and thats because you only have like 9 or so ability buttons.
Valfreya wrote:Well I have played wow for 9 years and I still click! When I was pvping on my priest, I was one of the most sought out priest healers when it came to arenas and rbgs on my server. I would log on and get an insta invite. And yes Im a clicker!! lol. Once I tried to use healbot and everyone died haha.
Same here with the healbot,that did not go well when I tried using it. :lol: