Griefing and what it means to you

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Griefing and what it means to you

Unread post by AdamSavage »

We have been getting a very steady number of players reporting, that there are other players killing a tame in progress. This is not ok to do, and it's a reportable offense. I can't stress this enough, you have to report the player in question. It may seem that "nothing was done", however this is not true. When you report a player, a GM has to look into the report. They have what is called an The Penalty Volcano. The more reports they get on the player doing the same thing all the time, the further up the Volcano the player will go. Eventually may even result in a permanent account closure. I encourage you to make this well known in the Hunter community. We as Hunters, need to raise awareness of this on going issue.

Important links below:

The Penalty Volcano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Griefing

Wow Jackass (For putting the Griefers name up)

Last edited by AdamSavage on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Re: Griefing and what it means to you

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Now we should put this all in our siggys to promote it!
Okay... maybe not. But yar, good idea posting this up AdamSavage.

EDIT: On the Wikipedia link look at the picture. Somebody's griefing Dante! :O

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Good to get the word out - far too many players try to perpetuate the myth that nothing is reportable. Sometimes it's just that they had a bad GM and assume all are like that, sometimes because they're speaking of things they have no knowledge of, and sometimes because they are asshats trying to disarm potential victims.

If someone is being a jerk to you, at least get it on record (with Blizzard), that it happened - then move on.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

"Griefers may lack social skills. They fail to adjust to social norms, and do not take criticism well. On Wikipedia a griefer could be a POV warrior, a vandal, someone engaging in personal attacks, an editor who habitually lacks civility, or even an administrator sympathetic to other griefers. However, not all griefers are rude, and some may be unfailingly polite, while at the same time they are making deliberate attempts to disrupt the community. They may game the rules, possibly following the letter but not the spirit, and they may repeatedly violate unwritten social standards"
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Litlemouse wrote:EDIT: On the Wikipedia link look at the picture. Somebody's griefing Dante! :O
x_x In that context, his name became even MORE fitting.....

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

AdamSavage

Still waiting for this to become a sticky..*taps foot*
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist

Unread post by Nimae »

I absolutely agree that players should be reported for this form of behavior. A couple of hunters and I were just rotating attempts on Karkin (I just arrived, and they happily said they'd let me have a go). Before I began my attempt, a Horde shaman jumped in and killed him. Below is the conversation we just had:

This is the type of behavior that people think is okay. Apparently, after speaking with the other hunter some more, I learn that this shaman and his buddy had done this multiple times. The previous one was Skitterflame: when the same hunter was just about to finish a tame the two jumped in and killed the rare. He's sent in a ticket, and so have I. I've also submitted to wowjackass.com, just to feel like I'm getting the word out about rare killers / griefers.

Brings up a question though, does this shaman have a point with the location of the rare? He's clearly killed rares prior to this, so it's not an "inconvenience" thing. Your thoughts?

And I chime in with the sticky request! :)

Thanks to Xakaal, Kurenio, Vephriel, Serenith, Sookie, Rongar, & Mossed for the amazing sigs (rotating), and to Serenith & Sookie for the (rotating) avatars!
Dragon Cave: My Scroll! ••• Ghosts of Christmas Past Lineage Project

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

That guy's an idiot. If he was truly 'Just trying to do dailies' He shouldn't have to worry about killing some non-achieve, non-loot dropping, pre-tagged Rare, as it would only slow him down on finishing dailies. More proof that griefers are largely the most stupid and ridiculous scum in WoW.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Nimae »

Just an update, my ticket has now been escalated; I'll reply within this post what the GM response is. Here's what I'd written:

Horde shaman ### killed rare spawn Karkin while myself and three hunters were attempting to tame. Has apparently done this before, and spoke to us very rudely after killing it. Other hunters very upset; by this point I've come to expect this of people, but the other hunters were very distraught. Please investigate this player and inform them that they are disrupting game play of multiple people. Thank you for your help.

As icing on the cake, as soon as I logged in to Molten Front, I read this in General:

It's odd how much class hate is going on this patch. I agree with AdamSavage that we just need to keep reporting, because the amount of griefing and bullying going on is, in my experience, unprecedented. It especially irks me when I know the fellow rare-campers are younger kids and take this to heart, or are recuperating from necessary medical procedures. I acknowledge we do get a rich cross-section of players in this game, and will always have trolls and what have you. Some people just missed out on the whole respect thing in life, and need to be slapped on the wrist every now and then. As Worba said above, report them and move on. :)

EDIT UPDATE
GM response to my ticket below:

Very well handled and an extremely fast response time! :)
Last edited by Nimae on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Xakaal, Kurenio, Vephriel, Serenith, Sookie, Rongar, & Mossed for the amazing sigs (rotating), and to Serenith & Sookie for the (rotating) avatars!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Chances are a lot of it is jealousy. We got a lot of specific attention in this patch, on top of the fact that although we've been balanced quite well by this point, a lot of people still have this mindset that either a) all hunters are incompetent noobs, or b) get fat dps numbers without doing any more than facerolling (and thus, see 'a'), while they feel Blizzard hates their class because they don't have an IWIN button. And they take this out by hating on hunters. This also happens to DKs (though to be fair, the fact that you start an unfamiliar class at 58 when other classes have at least generally learned what to do, and then you try to tank an outlands instance and fail horribly because you didn't have enough time or practice to learn what to do... well, that leaves a fairly bad taste in people's mouths that they don't forget easily.)

Still, before 'retardins', before Death Noobs... there was the 'huntard'. We've always gotten the short end of the stick from other classes because there's a pervasive feeling that hunters play hunters because they don't have the skill to play other classes. As someone who plays a LOT of classes, though... lemme tell you, fury warrior is waaay easier than hunter in most cases. But back in Vanilla it was hard, and people still cling to that stereotype that being a fury warrior (or mage, or whatever ftm powerful spec/class is up top these days) is harder than the other classes have it.

Edit: Also... a lot of it comes from PVP, and back in the day, a decent hunter could really screw up pretty much any class out there. So there's that hate too.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

AdamSavage

Concussion wrote:And I chime in with the sticky request! :)
I put in a request via report post, and I've sent Mania a pm as well to no avail yet. :(

Dr. Who Video!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

As with everything else, it takes time for there to be a response. It's on record; there's no need to spam Mania/the mods with further requests.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

AdamSavage

I had a DK try to kill my tame earlier this morning, I of course reported him. This was the reply I got from the GM who responded to my ticket..

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to report this matter to us. We will be looking into the concern and will take appropriate action where needed. Please understand that we cannot divulge any details on what steps may be taken with another player's account.

We would also like to take this opportunity to inform you of a newly added method to ensure all offenses are addressed quickly and efficiently. You may now use the “Report Player” feature to express your concerns directly, without having to submit a standard GM ticket. This feature can be accessed by right-clicking the player’s name in chat and choosing the “Report Player” option from the list.

We greatly appreciate your assistance in keeping World of Warcraft a clean and fun environment for everyone and thank you for your time and understanding!

Regards,
Rishgur
Blizzard Entertainment

Dr. Who Video!

Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Unread post by Loffter »

I just had a great idea for a way to punish people for stealing a hunter's pet..

debuff!

rage roots

Your feet are rooted to the ground. You may not log out or move at all. Every 6-24 hours, there is a chance that a creature will spawn. It moves at 10X normal speed, but if you can get close enough to touch it, the buff will be ruined. The creature lasts for 20 seconds.
Kiingeh
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Kiingeh »

Will blizzard actually take action against these players?
Never heard of anyone been punished for it.

Does anyone have any link to a blue post or a conversation with a GM saying its reportable?
Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Nimae »

Hi, Kiingeh! I'd placed a GM response at the bottom of my post above, but since it's a bit embedded I'll repost the screenshot here:

Fortunately, as evidenced by the GM's response (and the fact that my Report a Player Report Abuse ticket had been escalated and addressed within 2 hours), it is a reportable offense. I hope this helps, and feel free to PM with any questions! :)

Kiingeh
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Kiingeh »

Concussion wrote:Hi, Kiingeh! I'd placed a GM response at the bottom of my post above, but since it's a bit embedded I'll repost the screenshot here:

Fortunately, as evidenced by the GM's response (and the fact that my Report a Player Report Abuse ticket had been escalated and addressed within 2 hours), it is a reportable offense. I hope this helps, and feel free to PM with any questions! :)
I don't think that means it reportable. That's simply their standard response to all these types of complaints, regardless of whether its considered griefing they'll give that reply then check if there was any violation.

I don't think its reportable...
AdamSavage

Kiingeh wrote:I don't think that means it reportable. That's simply their standard response to all these types of complaints, regardless of whether its considered griefing they'll give that reply then check if there was any violation.

I don't think its reportable...
That is not your standard copy and paste reply, you can see the GM took the time to personally reply to the ticket. I've filed quite a few tickets, and I can easily tell from a canned reply vs them actually taking the time to reply personally. ;) I guess the only way to really find is talk to someone who has griefed and see if they where reported. Your going out of your way to harras/piss off another player I don't see how this would not be reportable.

Dr. Who Video!

Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

Yeah, I'd agree that this is not a standard reply and indicates that the GM in question is taking it seriously. They're quite willing to give canned replies all the time, even with legit cases.

Same faction griefing in particular is solidly against the rules on any server.
AdamSavage

Had an Night Elf hunter hunter prevent my tame..My buddy found Deth'tilac up and let me know. He invites me into the group and I start the kiting process, so I can get him down to 20% and tame him. So I bring him around and I quickly drew a crowd. That's fine, however once he reached 20% and this other hunter who had been shooting at him refused to stop. He ignored our REPEATED plea's for him to STOP attacking so I could tame..So I filed a report and so did my buddy. How he didn't get killed is something I'm still not sure of really.

Dr. Who Video!