Learning to heal-which class/spec?

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Learning to heal-which class/spec?

Unread post by Shade »

So I've leveled at least one of every class now-as pure DPS. I am thinking of learning a healing spec but don't know where to start. So a question for you healers out there which spec and class would you recommend for a first time healer?

I am leaning Druid or Shaman, perhaps preist. Pally doesn't seem that strong and I hate managing a monk's chi. So, any recommendations?

If it helps any, gameplay wise I prefer the play styles of Hunter, elemental shaman and combat rogue.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Learning to heal-which class/spec?

Unread post by Rawr »

Pally or Disc both are super strong healers. :mrgreen:

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Shade »

Which would you consider easiest to learn for someone trying to learn to heal? As in not too mechanic heavy when you are trying to learn how to juggle healing the group etc. Thinking this will be a toon I level from 1.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I've always enjoyed Shaman heals. I find them pretty straight forward.
Healing wave is your basic heal dump, riptide is your HoT, earth shield up on tank. drop healing stream when off CD (if multiple people are taking damage at once can usually just save it for bigger pulls/boss fights) and cast chain heal for multi-target heals.

Shammy healing is like hunter dps...you can be doing other things (in my case feeding a baby) while healing and not let anyone die. I find it a good class to learn healing on. My priest is a little more hands on, as is my druid (though the HoT's make it the 2nd easiest healing class imo). I am unfamiliar with pally healing. (but will be giving that a try on my next alt)

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

The only healer i really enjoyed when i played Wow was a restoration druid :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

For some reason I found disc healing the easiest to pick up compared to my holy pally. But I am also a last resort healer. :oops: :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Personally, I think Disc Priest is actually kind of hard, especially if it's something you jump into at level 100.

I've played just about every class that can heal and my recommendation for a first time healer is the shaman. Shamans are incredibly powerful healers that are capable of covering just about everything. They group heal, they single target heal, they have great oh shit options and movement capability, their mana is near endless. They're just power houses and super newbie friendly. Easily one of my favorite classes to heal on. Personally, on my shaman, I ask tanks to pull more than they normally would in 5-mans because otherwise I get bored really easily.

I feel as if druids are heavily gear based and start off really weak as healers. Fairly fun, but lacking when compared to a shaman, imo. I've kinda shelved my druid for the time being.

Holy priest would possibly my other recommendation after getting your feet wet with healing. I had never played one til I boosted my priest and I'm utterly in love. I play her all the time now and just love Holy's tool kit. The movement and single target isn't quite as strong as a shaman, and they're a little more reliant on having good gear for mana regen, but I spit out some mean AoE healing.

I don't recommend paladins or monks for a new healer. I'm currently in the process of leveling a monk healer and it's very, very different from the other types of healers in game right now and seems to have a much higher learning curve. A lot of fun, but a bit limiting and sometimes frustrating when someone dies and I can't figure out what I did wrong. AoE healing not super strong either, and big single target heals are reliant on a channeled ability. Paladins aren't quite as tough, but with Blizzard constantly fucking around with the management system for paladins and their tools and such, they change drastically almost every xpac and can make them difficult to learn. Pallies are one of the strongest single target tank healers, but they're a bit awkward if you're new and have a bit of a curve to them.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Shade »

Thank you all for the feedback!

Decided to go with a shaman for now-elemental shaman is one of my top favorite class/specs to play, so if all else fails and I give up on healing, I can at least play something I really enjoy. Pally was a struggle to get through, okay just not my favorite. I like my shadow priest well enough, though I hate how low her DPS is and I'm still figuring out how I feel about druid. I boosted my monk and still don't really love the class that much.

Also I've done some slight healing in a pinch on my main shaman here and there-nothing super drastic but I have a little more of a feel for it than I think I do for the other class.

Plus there is Ghost Wolf form, my all time favorite movement mechanic in the game.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

I'm super biased when it comes to healers. Thats because priest is my favorite class overall. Its been my main class a long while and I have like three within the 90 range. But I've played all healing classes (cause I am terrible at DPS or tanking) and found shaman was pretty fun too! I particularly loved using riptide and chain heal. I've been out of the game for a bit, so I don't know how different they are to play now, but I think you made the right choice! :D

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!