YouTube Hunter Leveling Project

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

YouTube Hunter Leveling Project

Unread post by Kormai »

Hey all! A few years ago a friend of mine (who used to play wow) suggested that since I love hunters so much I should level another one and film it. Surprisingly he wasn't being sarcastic. So I have been thinking about it and planning it for about 2 years now and just haven't gotten the courage to actually do it. I have no idea if people would be interested enough to watch it and if it would actually be entertaining. My plan is to make the videos not just showing me leveling, as that would be boring, but to also have a special tame (hard to reach, special colour, rare, etc.) and a highlight on something like addons, professions, pet families, and such. Each week would be either 10 levels or 5 levels as I get past 80 (I think that's what it was). I also have other ideas of things to fill out my channel with...and more ideas for like 2 more YouTube channels haha.

I'm thinking I would start leveling a Gnome or Goblin hunter as that would be more relevant to Legion with the new mechanical pets (not that other hunters can't tame them but that they get them automatically).

So...I was hoping you guys could let me know your thoughts on this. And any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: YouTube Hunter Leveling Project

Unread post by Karathyriel »

YouTube is practically flooded with Let'sPlays.
Why not add another one, declaring the love to the hunter class of WoW?
But please think about what a giant project this will be and how long it will take you to complete the '1-to-110' journey!

I recently started to record game videos as well. I bought a very cheap camera and a mic, searched the web for free video editing software.
I even bought stuff to build a greenscreen, so I could work myself into the videos if necessary without showing my living room to the rest of the world. :mrgreen:

The thing is, I'm not really good at this.
I do play games very enthusiastic but not very good. And also, when I'm playing, I tend to concentrate and stop talking.
Awful! You need to talk to your audience!
And I also couldn't decide if I should keep videos in german, my first language or if I should go 'international' and try to speak in english.

Problems, problems, problems! :lol:

My advice would be to make a couple of videos, watch them over and over, maybe show them to some people who will give you their honest opinion.
Practice to make videos! Sounds, kind of stupid but it really is harder than I thought!
Oh, one more thing: You need to get used to hearing your own voice! It sounds so completely different when recorded! It's weird!

And if you go live with the hunter, don't forget to let us know! ;)
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

I already had the Adobe CS4 Master Collection from taking some design courses at university (you paid a license fee to use the software at school and Adobe gave you the most recent master collection). So my sound recording, video editing, and photo editing software is covered. A few years back when I first started planning this project I bought Fraps to record my games. I tried Windows 10's game recording and it kinda sucks so I'm glad I have Fraps. I'm a semi-professional photographer so I already had the lighting and digital SLR (if I need stills of real world items) and buying a backdrop kit was dual purpose. I already have an HD 1080p webcam that records nicely and I bought a Blue Yeti mic which is amazing!

For the most part I am going to be voicing over things and not have commentary. While I show clips of leveling I will be describing all the abilities we get in that set of levels and how it changes (or doesn't) game play. If I find that's too short I'll start adding commentary, but I don't want this to be too long and be boring. I have some practice making videos with Premiere Pro already so that's not really a problem.

Is there a way to upload a video privately and still let certain people watch it?

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yes, YouTube has three modes you can set for uploaded videos:
  • PUBLIC
This setting will have your videos shown to everyone and they also can be found by the built-in search engine.
  • PRIVATE
This setting will still play the video to people who have the actual link to it. Otherwise there is no way to accidently stumble into it.
  • UNLISTED
This setting will keep the video visible only to you when you're working on your channel.

Don't worry, you don't need to reupload, these settings can be changed easily, back and forth, any way you want.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Ah okay thanks!

Could you tell me if you're able to see this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_1WN-52bdY

It's just a part of the first episode that I've started editing. I think the sound is a bit low and will have to see if i can increase my mic volume.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Nope, I can't.
YouTube is telling me that this is a private video and they are sorry. ;)
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Hmmm okay how about this video?

https://youtu.be/GU_Cgtj-6b8

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yes, I could see it and YouTube told me that this video is not listed and I should really think about sharing it or not.
And it's really nice, I like it.

But one thing: The sound in the background!
That is clearly sound taken from WoW. You might get in trouble fro copyright infringement if you use this!
How do I know? I made a video with WWE2K16, a wrestling computer game, where I just recorded a match.
Unfortunately, I used the entrance of the wrestlers in the video and one of the entrance songs provided with the game.
BOOM! I got a message that the owner of the copyright lets me keep the video up but since it's his song, he will make me put advertisement on it should he decide so.
YouTube wrote:Ads might appear on your video.

Copyrighted content was found in your video.
The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.
Viewing restrictions: None

Monetization: Can't monetize video
Monetized by claimant
He didn't cause the video has 7 views of which 4 are watching it myself! :lol:

In case you didn't know: YouTube offers a whole lot of music to be used for free with no copyright problems attached to them. Maybe better chose one of those?

And because I'm curious: What software did you use to put together the animations, like the dripping paint?
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Yeah all the copyright stuff is very legalese but Blizzard does have a page that explains it (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/le ... olicy.html). I think I'm okay because of this line though:
The only exceptions to this rule are if you participate in partner programs with YouTube, Justin.tv, Blip.tv, Own3d.tv, or Ustream.tv (the “Production Websites”) whereby a Production Website may pay you for views of a Production if you are accepted into their partner program.
I'm pretty sure I'm a YouTube partner :/ ...I have the option to monetize my videos.

The program I used for the entire video portion was Adobe After Effects CS4 then I added the sound in Adobe Premiere CS4.

I used these two tutorials:
http://youtu.be/0i_jeSylfdg
http://youtu.be/PWNE_p5ApgQ

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I've just looked into the partnership program. Did you apply for it? If not, you're not a partner.
Do yourself a favor and check and doublecheck if what you do is okay, battling the legal department of Blizz sure is no fun!

Oh, okay, I do not have enough money to actually buy Adobe products.
I do use Photoshop CS2, as they offically let you have it for free but After Effects and Premier? Not that I kow of.

Thanks for the links to the videos, though.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

You only have to apply by application forms in certain countries it said. And you cannot monetize your videos if you aren't a YouTube Partner. So I must be.

If you had a day to sit down and do it you could get a free 7 day trial of Adobe After Effects CC and Premiere CC. Just make sure your exported video from Premiere works in whatever editing software you use.

Edit: I got my butt out of bed and checked in my account and I am even a Verified Partner.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

A seven days free trial is only making me sad because I still can't afford it afterwards. So thanks but no thanks.

Good, if you are a partner, even better.
Let the leveling beginn! ;)
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

;) phew....glad that is all sorted. Thanks for bringing it up though as copyright is very important.

My new dilemma is do I make a separate intro video explaining the basics, or do i bake it into my first video?

Also, do I film me talking or use game footage? Or both together?

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Generally, I'd say your face shown won't be necessary while showing ingame graphics.
I tried it and found it rather distracting.
But you should be talking, having your voice a little louder than the game sounds.

Explaining the basics will be more comprehensive if shown at the same time, rather than having someone talk about something you probably have never seen before.
And since the first levels are basically kind of a tutorial anyway, I don't think a separate video will be needed.

So I'd say: Voice: Yes! Face: No! All in one video!

But that may be just my personal preferences...
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Haha, no that makes sense and was what I was leaning to. Just needed a nudge. I'm going to try to finish episode one today.

ikceya

Unread post by ikceya »

I would gladly watch a leveling LP that keeps most of the mundane/trivial aspects of the game like questing and traveling! It's something I've been searching for but unable to find. Part of the appeal of a really long Let's Play is being able to put it on as background noise and then play the game alongside the youtuber, which doesn't necessarily require extensive editing and commentary.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

That's an interesting idea...I've been thinking about what I'm going to do about Survival and Marks. Since this is specifically a Beast Mastery guide. So that is certainly something to think about. And I have many baby hunters that need leveling...

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I was thinking about a LP project too.
It would be leveling too, in some way, but I would like to try the Ironman Challenge

This means:
  • Death is permanent. Make a new character if you died!
  • No gear better than white quality allowed!
  • You are not allowed to choose a specc at level 10.
  • Hunters are not allowed to choose a specc for their pet.
  • Pets don't have permadeath
  • Only one profession allowed: First Aid
And there were some rules about healing as well that I can't remember right now.

The biggest problem is gear, as white quality gear is only available from vendors and drops are usually grey.
Everything else can't be used and so none of your stats are being raised. Very difficult.
My first try died from falling of a bridge in Thunderbluff. Silly me!

Best guy I know from my guild: Level 36.
But until nowI never could get this done... And probably never will.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

I remember that challenge though I had never really considered doing it myself. What I was thinking for a sort of challenge (no where near as hard) was to level only by doing pet battles. No idea if it's feasible and not sure if you can battle right at level 1 or not.