Unwanted new box on the login screen

Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unwanted new box on the login screen

Unread post by Sigrah »

Does anyone out there know how to get rid of the new box under your login name on the login screen? I circled it in red and blotted out my name along with my login name to show here, and it REALLY PISSES ME OFF THAT BLIZZARD DECIDED TO ADD IT SHOWING MY REAL NAME. Anyways, if anyone know, please reply. Gonna hit the Tech support forums too, but people here are a hell of a lot more productive and positive than the Blizzard boards.

Attachments
Unwanted Box.jpg
Unwanted Box.jpg (210.86 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Unwanted new box on the login screen

Unread post by zedxrgal »

WTF. I'm still at work so I hadn't seen this yet but dear Gods this DOES NOT make me happy to see. There is NO REASON for a players real name to be displayed anywhere. :evil:
I shall hit the forums myself tonight.
Already not happy I can't get rid of that stupid video /streaming button.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Do you happen to have multiple WoW accounts under the same Battle.net account now, for the first time? I'm wondering if it's the selector for that.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

That is the selection for another game account I have a RAF on my main WOW account so I also have that it lets you pick where you want to go to log in.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I'm feeling a little clueless...why is this a problem?
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I don't understand why the game isn't launching from the Battle.net app in your case.

I can only get that screen if my game crashes or I get booted from the server.

Otherwise, when I log in I enter my password (and authenticator if it asks) from the Battle.net app.

From there it goes right to the character loading screen of whichever of my 3 accounts I've selected in the Battle.net app.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sigrah »

Wain wrote:Do you happen to have multiple WoW accounts under the same Battle.net account now, for the first time? I'm wondering if it's the selector for that.
No, just the one. Gave up dual-boxing when I went from EverQuest 1 to World of Warcraft.

Sukurachi wrote:I don't understand why the game isn't launching from the Battle.net app in your case.

I can only get that screen if my game crashes or I get booted from the server.

Otherwise, when I log in I enter my password (and authenticator if it asks) from the Battle.net app.

From there it goes right to the character loading screen of whichever of my 3 accounts I've selected in the Battle.net app.
I do log in through battle.net, but I still don't want my name showing anywhere on the login screen period. Occasionally, I like to stream, and all it takes is one mistake on my end or battle.net being disconnected and suddenly I have to log in using that screen. I am always careful to keep my virtual life separate from my private life, even though I have little reason to worry from most people. But still, I don't want it seen anywhere if I can help it. I'm not even fond of having to use an email address to log in, but at least I can change it at will and also make one up on the spot by registering a new email address somewhere. Just a personal thing with me.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That box is definitely for the WoW account name selector. It's showing your real name because that's what your account name is set to. I wonder if you can change that.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Wain wrote:That box is definitely for the WoW account name selector. It's showing your real name because that's what your account name is set to. I wonder if you can change that.
Yes, you only need to create a battletag name.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

That's your account name, which is different from a battle.net account name. The Bnet name is the email you signed up with. I'm guessing that anyone who started playing after bnet accounts were enforced just have accounts named "wow1, wow2" etc. Those of us who created accounts before battle.net accounts were a thing are stuck seeing whatever goofy ass username we came up with. Mine is super embarrassing and I get to see it every day haha. As far as I know, there's no way to change this.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Wain wrote:Do you happen to have multiple WoW accounts under the same Battle.net account now, for the first time? I'm wondering if it's the selector for that.
That's where the drop down to select among multiple WoW accounts is, yeah. I've got two accounts from before bnet integration, so they show the 'old' account names for those. I created a third one after bnet and it just shows up as WoW1. I know friends with multiple accounts list them as WoW1, WoW2, etc. I've never heard of someone's real life name appearing there.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

2nd, 3rd, whatever... I agree with the others above. I have the same box, but mine shows my old account name (which I didn't even pick!) from way back when. The rest of the selections are all the RaF accounts I bought for myself. Those accounts are all inactive but it shows the box regardless if those accounts are active.

Since you have a legitimate concern I'd open up a ticket and see if a GM can manually change the name displayed.
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sigrah »

peanutbuttercup wrote:2nd, 3rd, whatever... I agree with the others above. I have the same box, but mine shows my old account name (which I didn't even pick!) from way back when. The rest of the selections are all the RaF accounts I bought for myself. Those accounts are all inactive but it shows the box regardless if those accounts are active.

Since you have a legitimate concern I'd open up a ticket and see if a GM can manually change the name displayed.
Oh, I'm already talking to them on the tech support board about it. Slow going, but I'll follow their recommendations and save the GM ticket as a last resort. Appreciate all the input folks.