Spear of Rethu nerfed :*(

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Spear of Rethu nerfed :*(

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

The archeology quest reward polearm Spear of Rethu was a blue quality One-Hand weapon that was acting as a Two-Hand weapon as far as transmogrification was concerned, which was awesome for RPers and people who played a Paladin and/or Warrior that wanted the Spear & Shield look. It was also account bound and acted as a Heirloom scaling from level 1 to 100 even though it wasn't one and didn't appear in the Heirloom tab.

This was hotfixed recently to make it a full Two-Hand weapon, killing the Spear & Shield look, and was turned into a full Heirloom weapon and now appears in the Heirloom tab. Since it's still classified as Unique you can't create more than one in your bags so we can't dual wield it on a Fury Warrior. Stats wise it's exactly the same as the Burnished Warden Staff and Eagletalon Spear, the only difference is the secondary stat on it.

Burnished Warden Staff
Item Level 605
Heirloom Upgrade Level: 2/2
Binds to Battle.net account
Two-Hand Staff
685 - 1030 Damage Speed 3.60
(238.06 damage per second)
+133 Agility
+199 Stamina
+177 Haste
Requires level 1 to 100 (100)

Eagletalon Spear
Item Level 605
Heirloom Upgrade Level: 2/2
Two-Hand Polearm
495 - 743 Damage Speed 2.60
(238.08 damage per second)
+133 Agility
+199 Stamina
+88 Critical Strike
+88 Haste

Spear of Rethu
Item Level 605
Unique
Two-Hand Polearm
685 - 1030 Damage Speed 3.60
(238.06 damage per second)
+133 Agility
+199 Stamina
+177 Critical Strike
ImageImage
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Spear of Rethu nerfed :*(

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

You can still dual wield it. Just mog your other weapon to look like it, if it's unique. It's probably still set unique 'cause it's an AGI polearm and AGI isn't any good for warriors, therefore no class that would REALLY be using it has the capacity to DW it. I think it was always intended to be a 2h-er, so that's less a nerf and more just fixing it.

But yeah, if you wanna DW it on your fury war, just mog the sucker. Job done.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring EU

Unread post by Melissa »

Thing is people were using it to transmog into OTHER polearms, as it allowed for a spear + shield look (as the OP said) which is quite popular in fantasy settings.

Turning it into a 2H has killed that leaving plenty roleplayers on my friend list quite sad :(
I have a Tumblr!
I no longer main my Hunter; Legion changes have unfortunately put me off from the class. However I still plan to stick around for the community here ^^
My Current Main! (Updated once more as I switched factions!)
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Bravo Blizzard on killing another fun little mogg idea. At least make a fun copy of its one handed version that can be bought with Darkmoon Faire for tickets or something.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I may not log onto this character for a while :cry:
Image :mrgreen:

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I hate to be the "fun hater" but they actually, more than likely, fixed this because it was causing balance issue with sub-100 sv hunters. They could wield Rethu, and a second weapon, stats and attacks and all, and still use their 2h-only spells. That's a HUGE amount of damage, and something that was likely very unfair for other classes trying to match the damage. It's own stats were already scaling like a 2h, so adding another 1h on top of that was too much for pvp.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

They could have just given it the same stats as a 1-hander, boom problem solved. :| :mrgreen:

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Rawr wrote:They could have just given it the same stats as a 1-hander, boom problem solved. :| :mrgreen:
Unfortunately that would then remove it from the only class it really benefits, and marginalizes it for bears/cats. What I don't get, is why there isn't a one-handed polearm class to begin with. My memory is likely incorrect or off, but for some reason I feel like there use to be, way back in either vanilla or BC.

Also; there are so many different cosmetic items added simply for mog/rp, I don't get why such a desired item isn't included anywhere, especially something as prominent as a 1h spear, since so many different real-life cultures utilized spear/shield combos with many varying lengths of staves.

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Gimlion wrote:
Rawr wrote:They could have just given it the same stats as a 1-hander, boom problem solved. :| :mrgreen:
Unfortunately that would then remove it from the only class it really benefits, and marginalizes it for bears/cats. What I don't get, is why there isn't a one-handed polearm class to begin with. My memory is likely incorrect or off, but for some reason I feel like there use to be, way back in either vanilla or BC.

Also; there are so many different cosmetic items added simply for mog/rp, I don't get why such a desired item isn't included anywhere, especially something as prominent as a 1h spear, since so many different real-life cultures utilized spear/shield combos with many varying lengths of staves.
Bears and cats have a spear, staff, and mace they can use, they dont need another spear. But a 1handed Str spear would be nice to have. Being able to mog it to other spears would be great or other 2handers. :mrgreen:

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

It certainly gives them food for thought. Obviously it was a big hit as a visual option, but it was the balancing that ended up being an issue.

The only solution I can think of that they may be able to incorporate, that could make this possible again, (and without the negative implication of double dipping) would be to create and cosmetic offhand, with zero stats, that can only be equipped if you have a 2 handed weapon. And this item would also be able to be accessed in the Transmogrify interface. Of course you would still only be able to transmogrify within your classes restrictions. (So no shields/wands/maces/etc for hunters)

This would then allow you to use this look, at any level, without any negative interruption to stats and the like. I have no idea of the tech involded or even if it's possible, but it would be freaken neat.

That said... the only issue with this, is what type of weapon to make it? It will likely need a classification.

If you add up all the 2Handed weapon users in wow that do physical damage, some one is going to miss out....

It can't be a Mace, SV Hunter misses out
It can't be a Dagger, DK's and Pally's miss out
It cant be a Sword, Druids miss out
It cant be a Fist Weapon, DK's and Pally's miss out...
Etc.

Some one always misses out.

But if I had to choose, I would likely make it a 1 Handed offhand Cosmetic Sword, thus in turn to the exclusion to Druids.
Why? Because for a physical damage dealing druid to do damage, that have to be in a form that will never show this option anyway. It's the kindest reason I could think of for the classes available.

So Death Knights, Hunters, Paladins, Warriors, and Monks would then have access to this look while wielding a 2 Handed weapon.
Anyways, likelihood of happening? .0000001 to 1 :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

SpiritBinder wrote:It certainly gives them food for thought. Obviously it was a big hit as a visual option, but it was the balancing that ended up being an issue.

The only solution I can think of that they may be able to incorporate, that could make this possible again, (and without the negative implication of double dipping) would be to create and cosmetic offhand, with zero stats, that can only be equipped if you have a 2 handed weapon. And this item would also be able to be accessed in the Transmogrify interface. Of course you would still only be able to transmogrify within your classes restrictions. (So no shields/wands/maces/etc for hunters)

This would then allow you to use this look, at any level, without any negative interruption to stats and the like. I have no idea of the tech involded or even if it's possible, but it would be freaken neat.
100% possible to do! Holy Paladin's artifact weapon, The Silver Hand, is a two handed mace while it's off hand, Tome of the Silver Hand, is a book classified as a shield. I'm not level 102 yet on my Paladin so I haven't done the quest to get it yet, but I know that the transmog restrictions on two handed weapons was relaxed at some point, allowing us to transmog two handed swords, maces, axes, staves and polearms into each others. Since the offhand is considered a shield, I presume it's still possible to get the Spear & Shield look, but since it's for a healing spec... I'm not sure many people would like that.
ImageImage
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:It certainly gives them food for thought. Obviously it was a big hit as a visual option, but it was the balancing that ended up being an issue.

100% possible to do! Holy Paladin's artifact weapon, The Silver Hand, is a two handed mace while it's off hand, Tome of the Silver Hand, is a book classified as a shield. I'm not level 102 yet on my Paladin so I haven't done the quest to get it yet, but I know that the transmog restrictions on two handed weapons was relaxed at some point, allowing us to transmog two handed swords, maces, axes, staves and polearms into each others. Since the offhand is considered a shield, I presume it's still possible to get the Spear & Shield look, but since it's for a healing spec... I'm not sure many people would like that.
As far as I'm aware, it's only Maces/Axes/Swords, and Staves/Polearms that are interchangeable. They could definitely make a cosmetic "Off-hand" item that could be mogged for 2h users though.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Gimlion wrote:As far as I'm aware, it's only Maces/Axes/Swords, and Staves/Polearms that are interchangeable. They could definitely make a cosmetic "Off-hand" item that could be mogged for 2h users though.
Nope, it was changed. When? I don't know. But it was. Paladins can transmog into a polearm while Warriors can transmog into both polearms and staves, as long as the weapon is classifed Two-Hand and can be used by the class. During the pre-patch invasion event, I transmogged my Survival Hunter into the "Judgment" mail recolor (the one from a past pre-patch event), and transmogged the invasion polearm into Armaggedon, a two handed sword. Some people actually thought I was a Paladin until they noticed I had a pet! :lol:
ImageImage
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Well that's new to me. Granted, I didn't play any of WoD, but even after coming back, all my research showed that it was still separated. I may have to run a polearm on my UH/Blood DK... I love the Ret sword far too much to give up the look to a spear though. :lol:

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Gimlion wrote:I hate to be the "fun hater" ...
A little off-topic, but I just want to say that this designation irks me. Just because someone understands and even agrees with a fix doesn't make them a "fun hater". You'd be a fun hater if you didn't want anyone to play Warcraft or own puppies or eat cookies. Don't label yourself like that, and don't let others do it to you, either.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.