I don't understand how extending isntance locks works

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

I don't understand how extending isntance locks works

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm trying to get the mount from Ji-Kun in Throne of Thunder.

I killed all the bosses up to just before Ji-kun.
Then "extended" the raid lock. is that what I was supposed to do?

What I wanted was to be able to return this week and not have to kill all the bosses before Ji-Kun again. I was told I could kill them all once, then lock it, and it would reset weekly at the point where I was.

The problem now is it still says that Ji-Kun is "defeated" after the raid resets of today.

So either I was misinformed, or I did something wrong.

Anyone care to help?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: I don't understand how extending isntance locks works

Unread post by Wain »

The raid save is up to the last boss you killed. So if you elected to extend it but then killed Ji'Kun, then that's your new save.

Usually the best way to do this is to have a character on another account saved up to that point. As long as that other character is never in the raid when you kill the later bosses then their save will be intact and you can use it every week. So have the other character invite you to group, set it as raid and it's also usually safest for them to stay online long enough for you to enter (though not always necessary). If you want to invite other players to the same raid, you can have the "save" character set you as assist... it's safer than setting you as lead.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

dos the character on the other account have to be the one to extend the raid every week?

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

You keep one character as a "key", for every raid boss that you want to farm, you get your key character saved to one boss before it. So if you want to farm Ji-kun, Elegon, Ragnaros, and Lich King, you get your key character raid locks with Magaera, Spirit Kings, Fandral, and all bosses before LK killed (on 25N). Each week, you will get on your key character and extend the lockout. Even if you don't run, you should extend your lockouts as often as possible, so you don't lose them.

Then each week, you will put your farming character(s) in a group with your key character. If your farming character hasn't been saved to any bosses, then the game will auto-clear the raid to match the instance lock of the furthest progressed character in the group. Including offline characters no matter where they're parked, and also the 'group' will have a raidid assigned to it, but that can be reset by doing "reset all instances" by whichever character is leader, when nobody (online or offline) is inside the instance. If your farming character has killed early bosses in that instance, then the key character will have to be raid leader (offline is ok) when your farmer enters the raid. It takes a few minutes to auto-switch leaders, so this is time consuming and tricky.

What I do, when I farm, is get all my characters (farmers and the key) into one raid group, and then take each farmer on a raid-tour. When a farming character is done with all its raids, I toggle raid size/unheroic (sometimes its required, sometimes not, always a good idea), and then reset all instances with that character (since its still the lead). Then I drop group, and relog quickly to the next farmer. When I log onto the new farmer, I toggle raid size/unheroic, because the interface can be inaccurate if you don't.

There are several ways to get all your characters in the same raid group.
1) Have two accounts. Your second account doesn't even have to have any leveled characters on it, a level 1 will work. Although a character does have to be level 10 to easily convert to a raid group, there's a /slashcommand to let a level 1 do it (I haven't tried it). Alternatively, you can just pass lead to a highbie in order to convert to raid.
/run SetAllowLowLevelRaid(true)

2) Have a friend invite all your toons for you. If you have a friend who doesn't mind, this is the fastest/easiest. Letting them use your key-character for their own farming after you're done is a good way to repay their help. For their convenience, you can combine with method #4. They just hold lead until you're ready.

3) Use the custom groups in LFG tool. After you make a group, you can switch characters and request invites, then switch back to the lead and send out invites, then switch back to accept invites. You can do about 2-3 characters (request on all first, then invite on all, then accept on all). The leader will automatically change to whomever is online when the original leader has been offline for a short while. Mine usually happened on the third character. How many characters you can do per wave depends on how fast you log in/off. You have 2 minutes after request to get invited, and I think 2 minutes after each invite to get accepted.

4) Use the custom groups in LFG tool, using auto-invite. This is a lot faster, since you never have to go back to your original character. But this can be hazardous, as you can get hoppers. And because of the timing of the "auto-switch" for the raid leader, a hopper can end up with lead. Put in your description that you don't want hoppers, without using the word "hop". Courteous hoppers will avoid it, but some are jerks. And some have addons that are jerks for them. Even though hopping has been severely nerfed, they keep trying. And put the group in raids, not custom. And choose a boring raid.

Different expansions' raids sometimes work a little differently, especially when it comes to heroic raids.
  • Vanilla and BC, this method does not work at all. But since you don't need to clear tempest keep for the mount boss, this isn't much of a problem.
  • For WoLK, this method works, but you will need to set to heroic (while inside works, if that character has done 25N) for LK, and set raid size to 25 (when outside) for both LK and Yogg.
  • For cataclysm, this works for Firelands. If you are doing both mount bosses, you only kill giant, spider, hunter, balrog on your key character.
    For dragon soul, you cannot do heroic Madness using this method (the other mounts work). To avoid accidentally ruining your key character's raidlock, clear it using normal mode. It is possible to do two key characters, one for each boss, but it's tricky and time consuming, so it's probably easier to just only farm one mount at a time (or spend the time killing all the middle bosses each time).
  • For pandaria, this works for MSV and ToT. Again, it's possible, but tricky and very time consuming to use two key characters for the two mount bosses in ToT. For SoO, this will not work, you need a full clear on mythic for each garry kill.
  • warlods. I haven't tried yet, but if I remember correctly, all the mounts are on mythic, so you'll need to do full clears each time.
If you are also farming MoP bosses, you can park your farmers at the exits to ToT or MSV when you drop the raid group, and kill them after you're done with the raid instances.

I hope I haven't forgotten everything. And I hope I was able to explain well enough (I may end up editing for clarity). Good luck, and don't be discouraged. Random can be clumpy, so you may end up with long dry spells. I had a real long one, and then got two mounts within 10 minutes of each other.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thank-you Xota.. it's MORE than enough information.
It may take me a month to digest it all!

"Step on no pets!"

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If you have a friend with a few high level alts that also likes to farm the same raids it can be cool to swap saves with them. I do this with Spiritbinder a bit. So I have alts with saves that we use to get his mains to certain bosses that he solos, and vice versa. If you have two accounts it can make it easier I guess :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

hehehe, well, being an altaholic, I have 3 accounts.

"Step on no pets!"