Interface options for hiding names in screenshots?

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Interface options for hiding names in screenshots?

Unread post by Vephriel »

This is kind of a weirdly specific issue that I'm not sure many people are affected by, but I still thought I'd ask for help!

One of the minor problems I've found with the Legion interface options is that when I have everything hidden (Alt+Z), the name of a target will still display above their heads if I have them selected, whereas it used to be hidden when I'd hide the UI, regardless of having them targeted.

This is just a little frustrating when it comes to taking screenshots, since I can't 'select' a target anymore, such as a friend or a pet, without their name displaying above their head. This used to be handy for highlighting other targets for a screenshot, but now it would be even more useful with the new Action Cam since it centers itself around your selected target.

But I just don't want that name in the screenshot. D:

I've tried fiddling with all of the interface options for name display, even turning everything off, but selecting a target seems to overrule any of that and display it anyways. Would anyone happen to know if there's some other way to forcibly turn those names off while the UI is hidden? Thanks very much! :) And I hope this post made sense, it's a little convoluted to explain. x_x
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Interface options for hiding names in screenshots?

Unread post by Xota »

That's a very good weirdly specific question. I'm looking into it, but a one-button solution might end up causing "taint", which would cause the game to throw all kinds of error and some things might stop working properly (I had one addon that would make buffs unable to be clicked off because of taint).

It might be easier to have a two button solution, where you toggle the UI and toggle names separately. So taking spur of the moment screenshots would be harder to catch. I'll look into it tonight, if I have a chance. Unless the game makes a whole new Frame for the target's name when you hide the UI, it should be the same Frame that you can attach the RaidTarget (lucky charm) to.
Vephriel

Thanks for looking into it Xota, I appreciate it! (also I'm glad it made sense)

I don't understand why they made that sort of change, Hide UI used to really hide /everything/, but as someone who takes a lot of photographic and roleplaying screenshots it's definitely hindering me a bit. :c Doesn't quite look the same if you have some big text like NAME <Character's Pet> hovering in front of everything. >.<
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'm feeling kind of discouraged right now, I can't seem to find the name of the Frame for non-nameplate names. If it were nameplates, that'd be easier. I don't even know what to call non-nameplate name frames. UnitNames I guess, since that's what the CVars for them use.

I won't be able to experiment after tomorrow, I've tried checking if any of the global variables point to a Frame whose text contained the name of someone sitting in front of me, but nothing, and the global variables whose name contained "UnitFrame" were the CVars, which are what you toggle in the interface (under names), and some functions (and we're looking for objects, which are different).

Unless anyone knows of an addon that lets you filter the text in non-nameplate names, we may end up having to post a question to the black hole that is the official forums.
Vephriel

Apologies for the bump, I'm not really holding my breath but, still hoping there might be some way to do this. T_T

Especially now that we have the wonderful new feature of our characters turning their heads to look at who they're targetting. The only problem is, this means there's always going to be a big name above the head of who/what you're looking at. I'm so frustrated by all the cool new interface/behaviour features that have been added in Legion that have all this potential for cool screenshots, but I like having no interface or names showing in mine. :(
Vephriel

Sorry for another bump, but I didn't want to make another thread on this.

I was dwelling on this issue again and decided to make a post over on the official forums. I...doubt it will get much traction, but in the off chance anyone else cares about it, I figured I'd link it here in case anyone wants to add their support. Thanks!

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20755716679
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I noticed this change, too. Like many others, it seems unnecessary. Alt-Z should hide everything. I also like to target something to make them brighter, but now there's that big stupid nameplate. WHY?!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel

Rhyela wrote:I noticed this change, too. Like many others, it seems unnecessary. Alt-Z should hide everything. I also like to target something to make them brighter, but now there's that big stupid nameplate. WHY?!
Guh, yeah. :( I used to use that especially for hunter/pet screenshots since I could target myself to highlight my character, and then hover over the pet while Alt+Z so we were both highlighted.

There was actually a brief time at the start of Legion where self-highlighting didn't work at all anymore and it really bummed me out, but then it mysteriously came back. Luckily your own character name doesn't show up when targetted so that works pretty well, but unfortunately highlighting (aka targetting) any other npc/player will slap the name above their head so that functionality's gone. The hover-over method just doesn't seem to work anymore while hiding the interface.