un-pet related ICC question

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

un-pet related ICC question

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I remember doing an extra floor after the Lich King, one with large openings on each side in which were large groups of mobs. You had to sit int eh middle and wait for them to come to you to kill them.
When I click on the map of ICC (I've been achievement, pet, and mount hunting) I see an extra floor called "Frostmourne". Is this material that was removed at some point? I just find it odd to still have that floor on the map.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: un-pet related ICC question

Unread post by Wain »

Hmm, I think what you describe doesn't sound like a floor after the Lich King, it sounds like the area that leads to Sindragosa. After you complete the Valithria Dreamwalker encounter, you head forward and down a lift. At the bottom is a room much like you describe. Several waves of anub'arak and other mobs come at you, while you stand in the centre. Once you've defeated a few waves a door on the other end opens onto a balcony with undead dragons on it and then Sindragosa. Do you think that's what you were remembering?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Is it possible you're thinking of the Kel'Thuzad fight in Naxx? That fight is very very similar to what you're describing. I've run ICC the last 2 weeks now for the achievement mount, and it was my first time in the raid, so I wouldn't know of any changes to that raid per se. But I ran a LOT of Naxx, and the Kel fight is after the frost drake, where a bunch of scourge run to the middle from surrounding openings.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

This room is where players could be sent during the fight. It had something to do with them (or their soul) being absorbed into Frostmourne, though I don't remember how that happened since I never did the fight at level. You can see this room when you're on the Frost Death Knight's artifact quest chain.
ImageImage
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

huh... I remember having to touch some sort of transporter to get there.
I'm just really confused now. There IS a floor that you can't seem to access on your own, so maybe it's something in the game mechanics - we're killing Lichy too fast for it to activate?

It's definitely not the room before the dragons, with all the spiders and anub'arak.
By the way, Valithria is a TOTAL pain in the.. umm.. posterior if you have NO healing abilities at all. I tried on my 101 Warlock last night, and she has absolutely NO problem with any of ICC, even the Lich King, but dammit, the stupid healing thing? People were suggesting legion bandages, well, you ALWAYS get interrupted while using them, and the cooldown is so long that the dumb whiny dragon is back down in health as fast as you've raised her.

Anyway I'm pretty sure it was in ICC and not Naxx. The reason being that Naxx used to really screw us up, we'd always wipe with only 3 of us, so I sort of stopped doing Naxx a long time ago because of that. Maybe I'm just totally having an Alzheimer moment.

I dunno!
Oh well, thanks anyway.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I don't know then :(. After Gimlion's post it really does sound like the Kel fight in Naxx. But before that is a fight with a skeletal blue dragon (Sapphiron?) and before that is the teleporter. But I'm not aware of any missing / secret levels of ICC. Were there cows there? Did you fight the Lich Cow?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

ok, my Alzheimer's was really kicking in. It turns out it WAS in naxxramas, the room I was thinking of.

Of course, that still doesn't explain that extra floor in Icecrown Citadel, nor how to get to it, if at all.

"Step on no pets!"

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Frostmourne should be the "room" inside the sword that you get pulled into during P3 of the heroic fight. Back in the day it was the hardest part of the fight, as the entire raid had to try and safely navigate their way around while spirits bombarded damage all around.

At max level you'll never see it unless you deliberately hold back your dps to allow it to pull you in.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thank-you PBC (my favourite dessert, by the way).
That certainly explains it.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

hey, speaking of raids...
I was under the impression that the lockouts on older raid content were shortened?
It's frustrating to have to wait a full week to redo my raids (I'm getting addicted to soloing them... it's a lot of fun!)

"Step on no pets!"

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

If I recall, the lockout was shortened on AQ20? and maybe one other raid dungeon? I believe AQ20 at least went from 3 days to 1 day, though I haven't been back there in ages to test it out.

Most older raids still have a 1 week lockout.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Yeah, AQ20 had its raid lockout lowered from 3-5 days (I forget which) to 1 day, because it was the only old 20-man raid left, which made its lockout more than a little bit awkward. All the others (ZG and ZA, basically) had been revamped to be heroic dungeons, and were already on a one-day lockout.

On the one hand, I wish the lockouts on older raids would also be lowered but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer some sort of Timewalking badge reward that lets you

a) skip excessive RP (Dragon Soul :\)
b) skip excessive irrelevant bosses like the WoD/Legion raid quests (Dragon Soul again)
c) teleport back to the start of the instance if you're not a monk/dk/druid (Mount Hyjal :|)
d) all of the above tbh

but mostly I'd like that in addition. And while I'm derailing myself, I'd also really like it if the different raid sizes/difficulties for older instances could be split into separate lockouts again; been trying to get 10m lock gear from naxx and ICC off and on for nearly a year, but only two loot drops per boss per week makes it real annoying, especially when you also want stuff from 25m at the same time (and god forbid if you need stuff from 10N, 10H, 25N, AND 25H all at once, lol) :|
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.