Invisible Camera Effect, anyone?

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Invisible Camera Effect, anyone?

Unread post by Xella »

This is going to be a bit of a stretch (I feel like I'm writing that on all my posts lately, dang) but for those of you who have Alted more than maybe I have, do you remember if you ever came across the mage invisibilty camera effect, either during your artifact questline or later, in the actual class/order hall stuff at 110 (through to the class-specific title and third relic slot)?

I've been leveling up characters pretty consistently since I've been looking for a new main, but I ran into a problem on my shadow priest—avoiding spoilers as best as possible, part of the questline once you hit 110 has you navigate an area looking for something while your camera is doing that blurry, everything-splits-apart-and-moves thing like you see when you go invisible as a mage, or on the last boss of Arcway, or (as I discovered to my stomach's dismay this afternoon) standing in corruption on Il'gynoth. This is the effect I'm talking about, though it's way worse in motion than still: spoiler version, non-spoiler version.

That's the only time I've run across it in the artifact/class questlines so far, but I've only done maybe 30-40% of the available class-specific stuff, artifact and order hall both. I'm SUPER nervous about coming up on it unprepared—not that being prepared for it makes me less nauseous (I'm just as likely to need a prolonged bathroom break regardless), but I ran into my priest's like, three hours before my raid and I still wasn't recovered by the time it was time to start killing things (and I ultimately had to step out early and go lie down some more), so at least knowing it's gonna happen lets me schedule my nausea for the end of my day and not right at the start/in the middle :(

So far, this is what I know:

INCLUDES BAD VISUALS:
- Priest (110)

IS SAFE, VISUALLY (at least for my personal nausea problems)
- Hunter
- Druid
- Shaman
- Demon Hunter artifacts (Havoc+Vengeance)
- Paladin artifacts (Ret, Prot, Holy)
- Warrior artifacts (Fury, Prot, Arms)
- Fire mage artifact
- Unholy death knight artifact
- Frost death knight artifact
- Windwalker monk artifact
- Affliction warlock artifact
- Assassination rogue artifact

MAY OR MAY NOT BE OKAY IDK YET?
- Demon Hunter (110)
- Paladin (110)
- Warrior (110)
- Outlaw and Subtlety artifacts and rogue 110
- Demonology and Destruction artifacts and warlock 110
- Arcane and Frost artifacts and mage 110
- Blood artifact and DK 110
- Brewmaster and Mistweaver artifacts and monk 110

I think warlock, mage, and brewmaster are the ones most likely to invoke that camera effect again (which is a shame because lock and mage are the only ranged classes I have left to try for new mainage, lol :\) but I wasn't really expecting to see it in the priest quest at all. Now that I have seen it there, it sort of opens it up to "well, anything that might be kind of magicky might do it, so..." :(

(to be fair, Brewmaster is more likely to use the blurry "I'm drunk" effect that ALSO makes me sick, but to a SIGNIFICANTLY lesser degree. It's the "everything is flipping around everywhere" that gets me the most, to be honest.)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Invisible Camera Effect, anyone?

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

You have my sympathies. I have damage to one of my inner ears and am also prone to motion sickness.

Is there some console command that will negate these sorts of visual effects?
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

There is not, which is why I'm so frustrated with the whole situation.

Prior to 7.0, all the "special" camera effects—the drunken blur, the blue version of being dead, the invisibility shift, the the S.E.L.F.I.E. camera effects—were all tied to one cvar: ffxGlow. You could set ffxGlow to 0 and all those effects were turned off. In theory, the removal of them all from one single command is a good thing, because previously you missed out on a lot of cool effects if you were sensitive to just one of the dozen that that one cvar had come to control. Thing is, it's only a good thing if the next logical step—creating ways to handle the things that aren't tied to ffxGlow anymore (which is now "everything but, well... glow", lol :P)—is taken. It was not.

The grumpy part of my brain can't help feeling that stuff like ffxGlow was ignored or backburnered in favour of fixing the camera zoom distance and that bug that made vehicle cameras so bouncy. Totally not fair, because those were legitimate issues a lot of us were facing (and I can't say I wasn't in the "whoa this new max camera is not enough" OR "oh my god al'akir is gonna make me barf" camps, cos I definitely was), but nothing has really happened to address all the 7.0 visual issues since then, so it sort of feels like the dev team was like "okay, camera can zoom again and excessive bouncing has been tuned down, ALL FIXED :)" :\

I've made posts to several of the official forums' subforums at various times (CS, general, bug report, PTR bug report, beta bug report, UI/macro) and tweeted at both @WarcraftDevs and @BlizzardCS multiple times, and the most response I got was the CS guys going "um, you should post to the bug report forums" (I. DID. SOOOO MANY TIMES NOW, TOO!) so like... I don't know what I'm supposed to do anymore, 'cept try not to do extracurricular content that I'm not 100% sure won't make me curl up into a ball of pain in the first 75% of my day :\
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

I don't know if anyone else is both raiding and affected negatively by this, but be warned: Tichondrius' second phase (the one with the bats) uses this camera effect. The phase lasts for about a minute, the camera effect is still not turn-offable, and it means that my raiding career is once again at a standstill because a boss fight makes me hurl. My guild leader (angrily) told me to do every fight and sit for Tich last night and to wait for a fix, but this has been a problem since I got into beta (and presumably significantly before that), which means it's been nearly (or over) six months with zero word. I haven't been able to do mythic+ consistently because of Arcway, I haven't been able to perform well in the latter third of Emerald Nightmare because if I mess up on Il'gynoth I'm nauseous and dizzy for the rest of the instance, and now there's ANOTHER fight where I have to close my eyes and pray I'm not required to do anything and if I mess THAT up I'm not reliably able to continue for the rest of the instance (which was only Elisande and Gul'dan last night in normal, but god only knows what our ultimate kill order will be). Plus, being dead weight on a fight isn't going to fly in mythic and what's the [expletive] point of even doing normal and heroic if I'm gonna just have to chain sit myself on mythic?

I'm less than pleased, needless to say.

THAT SAID!

ffxGlow is more noticeable now, and @WarcraftDevs informs me that there is a new cvar: ffxDeath. setting ffxDeath to 0 (/console ffxDeath 0) turns off nearly ALL death effects. It's a little bit weird since the only thing that really lets you know you're dead is that you're transparent (or a wisp), but it's so much less painful to look at than overbloom central, lol.
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Blizzard does seem top operate under the assumption that everyone who plays WoW has good, heatlhy vision. The drunk blur effect, that awful swirly blurry stuff that you're describing, and the death effect all bother my eyes. I really hate dying anywhere where there's snow nowadays because running back to my corpse with the death effect over bright white snow is incredibly uncomfortable. Not being able to turn off ffxglow and ffxdeath is really annoying for me.

The yellow-green fel fire in TBC also bothered my eyes. Getting hit by the cannons while doing Ogri'la stuff made me have to look away from the monitor until the 'burning' effect wore off.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

/console set ffxGlow "0"

/console set ffxdeath "0"

See if this helps :hug: :mrgreen:

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

Yeah ffxDeath is a godsend, and I'll continue to keep ffxGlow at 0 probably until the end of my days (even though it's pretty, there are situations where its prettiness does not offset its eyesearingness, lol)

In WAY better news, when I mentioned that the effect that makes me sick wasn't included in the 7.1.5 revamp/restore of ffxGlow's functionality, they said they'd look into it! I have no idea if that's something that can be hotfixed or if I'm going to have to wait for 7.2 (or some smaller intervening patch) to be able to, you know, actually safely be able to play again, but after six months of hearing nothing about it it's so nice to hear something.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but if anyone else has issues with this spell effect I'd really appreciate some assistance in making noise about it; that birthday tweet three months ago gave me hope, but the last two builds of the 7.2 PTR have been labeled release candidates, and there's still no change to ffxGlow (and no mumblings of additional, new CVARs to try).

I'm not really sure what the best line would be; there's replying to or quoting/linking the original tweet, I've got a thread on the 7.2 PTR Bug Report forum that's almost exclusively me, and a UI/Macro thread that I necroed this afternoon. Something something squeaky wheel, but I also don't want to be a pest about it.

But I mean, maybe it really is just me left and that's why nothing is happening, but this has been a problem and reported for a year+ (7 months since 7.0 went live with this issue, and I don't rermember how long Legion was in alpha/beta or when they changed ffxGlow in that time).
thelifeofapanca

Unread post by thelifeofapanca »

Rawr wrote:/console set ffxGlow "0"

/console set ffxdeath "0"

See if this helps :hug: :mrgreen:
I have a problem with the balance nerv in my ear but this helped me a lot! Thanks a million! :hug: :hug: :hug:

________
thelifeofapancake
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

News! Exciting news!

Bluspacecow, who is omnipresent on the mac tech forums, migrated temporarily to the UI/Macro thread I'd started about this issue a while ago and pointed me toward the console so I could check all the available CVars myself (since I'd asked if anybody had a list of new/updated ones, which nobody really does).

ffxNether has been in the game for a while but didn't actually do anything (that I ever saw) in 7.0 or 7.1.5, so I'd completely forgotten about it, assuming it'd been deprecated... but it controls the effect! BEHOLD, THE SPLENDOR:

Just like ffxDeath, it removes the effect COMPLETELY, which will be a little bit strange if you use it to indicate to you that you're under the effects of mage invisibility (or whatever). I haven't done a full test of all the other special "camera" effects in-game so I don't know if this is the only effect it targets, but it does NOT impact things like the "parchment effect" from that one quest at Nar'thalas Academy (or the selfie camera) or colour filters (like Bom'bay's Color Seein' Sauce, or... the selfie camera again, actually).

/console set ffxNether "0"

It's also worth mentioning that as of 7.2, the blur you get from being drunk appears to be tied to ffxGlow again, so that's one more visual hassle out of the way. Success all round!