Grumpy Rant: AP tied to spec

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Grumpy Rant: AP tied to spec

Unread post by Quiv »

So with the unlock of class mounts, hunters have special interest in fully unlocking all their artifacts since different colors of the class mount become available when you do. So this means that, for me anyway, I now care to dump AP into specs I have little interest in seriously playing. Thats fine with me, I would vendor the tokens otherwise, so it works out.

What I cannot fathom for the life of me is why Blizz still insists on each spec having its own unique AP pool. I know this has been since day 1, and for someone who plays more than one spec this has likely been something to deal with since the beginning. However for me, someone who focused on one spec until the hunter mount made me care about others, its become a HUGE issue since months of habit is now killing my AP gains.

I have lost hundreds of millions of AP because I click the AP token while in my main spec (BM) out of habit. While I am now close to the next rank of Concordance, thats meaningless to me since its such a small increase in power. Practically speaking, I might as well have destroyed the AP tokens.

In my mind, there is nothing "interesting" about the "decision" (being forced) to use an AP token while in the spec you want to get the points. The "interesting decision" is when you're at the Artifact altar trying to spend the points. I don't get why AP isn't a single pool tied to the player, and then we have to make decisions (and switch specs accordingly) at the Artifact altar in order to spend the class wide pool of AP. This would make it more "interesting" (I use the term loosely) because I could plan out points in all Artifacts based on how much I'd have in my single pool. Otherwise I have millions of unused points tied to an Artifact I have no intention of pursuing that are useless to me for the foreseeable future.

As far as I can tell, the fact that AP tokens have to be used while you are in the spec that you intend to future spend the points on is nothing more than a nuisance. An arbitrary inconvenience. I can't figure a redeeming quality about this restriction that wouldn't also be accomplished (and then some) by focusing on spec specific point spending at the Altar.

Rant over. Bah!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Grumpy Rant: AP tied to spec

Unread post by Wain »

It would certainly be much easier if you could just add AP to a single player pool, then spend it at the altar on whichever weapon you chose. I'm unsure why they didn't do it that way. The grindiness would have been just the same, it would have just been handier :P

And yes, I've wasted a lot while consuming it while having the wrong spec active :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

When I'm doing a world quest tour and stocking up on AP (to use in survival for the mount and then never touch again), my bags fill up REALLY quickly, so often I'll have to stop, switch specs, use a bunch of tokens, and switch back before I can go back to, you know, playing the game.

I'm not a fan of the whole AP system but that in particular gets my goat (her name is Megido, and she is beautiful, and I would prefer AP not take her away from me so often!)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I couldn't agree more. It feels cumbersome and unnecessary.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.