Crafting in Legion, question

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Crafting in Legion, question

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Maybe someone can enlighten me on the logic behind how crafting works in Legion.
On my level 104 hunters, I'm getting quest rewards that are higher level than anything I can craft. And I mean higher level than anything I can craft on my level 110, 800-crafting, all recipes upgraded, toons.

So what exactly is the point of crafting if everything is so heavily level-gated, and the rewards are always sub-standard for the level at which you learn the recipes?

I crafted a few slightly stronger pieces for my lowby hunters, but before they could even level up once they had received quest rewards that were better than the crafted pieces.

It seems to be this way with ALL crafts, regardless.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Crafting in Legion, question

Unread post by Rhyela »

I wish I had an answer, but I'm just as confused as you. I thought crafting went south in WoD, and now it's even worse. I honestly miss pre-WoD crafting when we just picked up or bought recipes.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As far as I can tell it's just some numbers and quests to give players something to level up without actually giving them anything useful at the end. If you're lucky then your profession has a pet or toy to craft, but as far as I can tell that's about it. Even cooking has proven to be barely worth pursuing - Legion is the first expansion where players no longer hand out feasts in pugs.

It's ironic that in Legion the designers spent far more time (than previous expansions) developing the learning and questing aspects of professions, only to have the actual practical result be almost useless. I feel the quest designers were badly let down by whoever made the decision on item stats, as were players who enjoy crafting.

Gut feeling, based on the way the game is rigged these days: crafting enables players to influence the gearing process and I think it's resented by designers who rely on progression being reduced to an easily-controlled equation. In Draenor we saw crafting become a soulless production line in the garrison, with restrictions on the materials we could gather and the numbers of pieces we could wear. In Legion we see it just reduced to substandard gear that nobody would want. The announced level increases for 7.2.5 were a weak and belated band-aid fix.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

The way professions were rendered useless in Legion has been a huge letdown for me, because it's the first expansion in ages where I actually really love crafting. I think it's really fun, they streamlined things right to make it feel both easy and challenging (mats aren't hard to come by, but unlocking top tier recipes takes collection), and the quests they tied in actually make you feel like you have something to do with your craft.

But then you make a bunch of garbage and there's no point. :x

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I found the legendaries to be handy on alts.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Feasts were pretty useless up until recently; they're pretty good now and progression guilds mostly use them as far as I've seen. They require bacon to make which makes it less likely you'll see random people dropping them in raids, especially with the way the recipe rank discovery system is set up (NOMI.)

Engineers have an 880 helm they can craft that's pretty handy (if you're an engineer and need the ilvl), the craftable legendaries can be handy if you can stomach it, and if you have a good way of getting bloods of sargeras you can upgrade a couple slots as soon as you ding, but otherwise professions seem to just be a transmog repository this expansion.

Well, the armor professions, anyway. Alch, ench, and JC still have a pretty solid spot and scribes still pick up an occasionally-valuable role. It's mostly tailoring, lwing, and blacksmithing that are suffering this go-round; tailors don't even have a bigger bag to hock this time (though there's still SOME market for 30-slot bags)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

and try being a Scribe!

my "main" crafters (although I have legion toons with all the different crafts, at level 70+, many at 800) are Leathercrafting, Tailoring, and Engineering (at least he has a few things, except he can't get them until he himself hits 110 - that's another thing I hate: having to be level capped and reputation maxed to get recipes).

My Scribe was actually my first toon to 110, and to hit 800 in a craft, as well as get the hunter class mount etc... and I've more or less stopped doing any inscription, except for the occasional glyph that modifies appearance for one of my lower toons. I'm not a raider, so those Vantus Runes are pointless to me.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.