Speculate! New Xpac: new race, class, both or other?

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Speculate! New Xpac: new race, class, both or other?

Unread post by Quiv »

So we've come to expect different things concerning playable characters in each xpac. Not counting new race/class combos, we've had...

BC: blood elf/draenei
WotLK: Death knight
Cata: Goblin/Worgen
Mop: Pandaren and Monk
WoD: HD races
Legion: Demon Hunter

So it seems we may be "due" a new race. We could speculate on the new race (inb4 Ogre), but I would love to see an "other"

We know that Worgen and Goblin HD update is still looming (if its still coming). So why not go ahead and do that, but revamp character customization entirely? I want to see a billion options for player customization. Take Night Elf customization options. For male, their eyebrows are tied to facial hair, and female face marking color is tied to hair color. I want to see a bunch of individual options, one for hair, beard, mustache, eyebrows... even things ears, eye color, lips and on and on. I would love to see a lot more control with a bunch more options.

I personally would gladly give up a new race for this! In fact, the only thing I want more than this is the ability for the race to choose their faction (or some kind of faction defection system) but I figure that'll never happen. I want my alliance blood elf!

Anyway, what do you guys want? New race? Class? Or something else?
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: Speculate! New Xpac: new race, class, both or other?

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I would love new races. Ally gets a wolf, give horde a cat based race :D
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

I pretty much agree with everything you've suggested Quiv, but I would prefer updates and extras like hairstyles etc to be rolled-out continuously. Well, not necessarily continuously but I'd prefer them to just come with patches as they are ready, even if it means some races get love before others. I'm okay with that as long as it mostly evens out over time. I know Tauren really need some love with regards to customization options, and more face options for all, of course.

I certainly wouldn't complain about a kitty race, though :P
funk#1402

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I still really want playable naga someday, even though that'd probably be impossible.

I'd be happy with new worgen models though. ^_~ And I agree, I'd love the customization options.
White fur for worgen! That's my wishlist aha.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

A Murloc based xpac. Them as the badguys,goodguys, Murlocs everywhere!
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

My hopes are for 3 new races. That I'm wanting will likely NEVER come to pass.. But it's fun to think about it :D

So my first two might set off a few people with how I imagine it, but I figure it works best this way.

HORDE: Orges MALE ONLY (Have you ever seen a female Ogre...? Not saying there aren't any but...)
ALLY: Dryad FEMALE ONLY (Are the stag ones even Dryads...?)
NEUTRAL (like pandas where you pick the side): Gnolls!

Of course, the whole gender thing doesnt have to happen. I just thought it'd be an interesting twist :>

Siggy under construction!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I would ABSOLUTELY give up a new race for better customization! GW2 is not perfect in how it rolls out new faces/hairstyles by any means (lmao gotta pay real $$) but you can absolutely tell how widely varied it makes the characters within- I'd kill for something like that. New face/hair options and colors being rolled out every few months/maybe twice a year would be AMAZING. I'd love to see Blizzard get creative and make some daring moves with things- war paint on some faces, scars, bright hair dyes, maybe some neat accessories like more hairpins/cool horn styles with jewelry.

And I massively second the idea that a lot of options shouldn't be tied to each other anymore. For tauren, why tie mane color and fur color together? Why not give us some more mane customization? How about facial hair getting unbound from nose rings? The same could go for a lot of different races! And PLEASE, give me an eye color selector that isn't face-bound.

With the revamped character models especially, I think they could do a lot with customization. Now, we have a bunch of different jaw and nose shapes, and all sorts of similar options- I'd love to see an in-depth character creator. To be honest, nowadays, other leading MMOs are really putting WoW to shame when it comes to the CC. :/

(that said if we get a new race i vote Arakkoa as a new neutral in the style of Pandaren)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Echoing others on the dire need for more customization options. They have the tech for this now, I'd really love to see a ton more hairstyles, things for tattoos and paint, and pretty much everything else mentioned so far in this thread.

I think the 2 races I would kill for right now are Naga and Arakkoa. I don't care if they're neutral, faction-choosing races, that's fine for me, but god I want them so badly. I used to think Naga were in the realm of impossibility, but now I'm not so sure...with all of the lead up to Queen Azshara it feels like they could fit into an expansion tied to her very well. And Arakkoa I've just been in love with for ages, especially with the added lore they got in WoD.

Another thing that I don't think anyone's said yet, but I'd love a few more class/race combinations. Particularly BLOOD ELF DRUIDS. That is my biggest wish right now. I'd also just love more blood elf lore in general, an expansion where they really get to shine, maybe bring out a blood elf navy. Guh. I just love my elves a lot. T_T
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

Actually, I'm still wondering if we are going to see more paladin options, what with two night elves as paladin followers in their class hall. It really felt to me like this was Blizzard setting up the lore for playable nelf pallies. I wonder if that's something Argus has in store, with the Army of Light (presumably) there...
funk#1402

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Oh! All the see cities! Makrura's capital Mak'aru! Naga's capital Nazjatar!

Just more under water content really. I know people hate them but I love that stuff!
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Quiv wrote:I want to see a billion options for player customization. Take Night Elf customization options. For male, their eyebrows are tied to facial hair, and female face marking color is tied to hair color. I want to see a bunch of individual options, one for hair, beard, mustache, eyebrows... even things ears, eye color, lips and on and on. I would love to see a lot more control with a bunch more options.

I personally would gladly give up a new race for this! In fact, the only thing I want more than this is the ability for the race to choose their faction (or some kind of faction defection system) but I figure that'll never happen. I want my alliance blood elf!

This sounds amazing! I'm in total agreement on this.

LupisDarkmoon wrote:And I massively second the idea that a lot of options shouldn't be tied to each other anymore. For tauren, why tie mane color and fur color together? Why not give us some more mane customization? How about facial hair getting unbound from nose rings? The same could go for a lot of different races! And PLEASE, give me an eye color selector that isn't face-bound.

OMG Yes Please!

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I've wanted playable Naga for a long time. Not sure how boots would work, though... I've also always said that a blood mage class would be cool, but I think other existing classes sorta have the mechanics of it covered.

More customization options, in any form, are always welcome. And please, for the love of Azeroth, FIX FEMALE WORGEN!!! An "HD" update isn't good enough. They need burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch (IMO).

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel

Rhyela wrote:I've wanted playable Naga for a long time. Not sure how boots would work, though... I've also always said that a blood mage class would be cool, but I think other existing classes sorta have the mechanics of it covered.
I figure naga and boots wouldn't be a big deal because trolls and tauren already don't display most boots, and they could just do a thing where they have it textured as a 'sleeve' near the bottom of the tail. Also for mounting I imagine naga could just ride side-saddle or something.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Just have one boot stuck on the end of their tails :lol:
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Arakkoa or bust.... i fell in love with them SO hard :D

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'd still love to see those otter people from the student art contest become a playable race!

Racial bonuses are +100 to fishing, and decreased aggro because they're too damned cute to kill.

Anything is possible but I'd still be surprised if Naga became playable because the model would be awkward in so many player situations. Not just boots, but a lot of player armour would need heavy work. And they'd have to sit on top of any player mounts and look very strange. But who knows? :)

Signs seem to be pointing towards an expansion based on the void and Old Gods. Perhaps that will be next, and Arakkoa could tie into that, since they frequently practice that kind of magic. Or we could play friendly Faceless Ones that broke away from Old God influence :D
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel

I'll be honest, my idealistic dream is playable Nerubians and a proper Nerubian expansion with a whole underground city/world (like Azjol-Nerub was supposed to be T-T) but I'm not holding my breath at all. :lol:
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I really, really, really, really, really, really, x623u22352 want an expansion without a new race or class. I want them to finish new character models. I want them to fix dwarf and draenei hair. I want them to fix tauren death knights. I want them to fix night elf faces. I want them to update worgen and goblins. I want them to fix female pandaren's weird Stretch Armstrong arm. I want them to bring back ranged survival. I want them to kill pure DPS classes and give everybody some option to be a hybrid without killing people's favourite specs in the process. I want a ranged/tank hybrid that isn't a druid. All of that requires the resources of an actual expansion, and a new race or class would kill the ability of any of that to actually be a thing.

I think it's possible that "sub-races" might be introduced in an expansion that included those (but didn't include a "real" new race/class). Things like red/brown orcs, northrend/broken isles tauren, wildhammer/dark iron dwarves, broken, nightborne?, things like that—some of them are less likely than others, and some require a lot more work (broken don't have a female model and the male model's real old) but some should be (relatively) easy to implement, since e.g. the broken isles tauren are literally just existing tauren with new horn options, lol.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xella wrote:I think it's possible that "sub-races" might be introduced in an expansion that included those (but didn't include a "real" new race/class). Things like red/brown orcs, northrend/broken isles tauren, wildhammer/dark iron dwarves, broken, nightborne?, things like that—some of them are less likely than others, and some require a lot more work (broken don't have a female model and the male model's real old) but some should be (relatively) easy to implement, since e.g. the broken isles tauren are literally just existing tauren with new horn options, lol.
A lot of people have requested those things and I think that would be a great alternative to a new race. They'd need to spend a bit of time creating linking quests / storylines to explain how starting characters of the various sub-groups arrive in the mainstream areas for their race, but it would still be less effort than what is needed for a whole new race. There would be some weird time-twisty plot issues to be resolved, however. Like, with the way the storyline currently exists a player who starts a Taunka would later end up experiencing Northrend and the Taunka as if they were just discovered them. There are a number of cases of this where the game assumes you've never seen those races and their lands before.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Going back to old content could be neat. Like Outland or Vanilla places, just seeing how things have changed.