OT (non-hunter) noob Warrior question

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

OT (non-hunter) noob Warrior question

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm VERY new to playing a tank class.
So far all my toons have been DPS, and mostly hunters at that (I lie - they are ALL hunters).

So now that my warrior princess is level 110, and doing Broken Shore stuff, she has a few dungeons to do, both for her class hall and for her crafting. However, to be perfectly frank, I am petrified of actually tanking a dungeon.

I've done a few invasions with her, without dying. She's taken on some of those lone elite named mobs for the invasions without trouble, and has had no trouble with final bosses in the invasion 3-person scenario.

However, today I tried one of the big bosses on Broken Shore, and she died at least 3-4 times, and she died FAST. So this leaves me VERY insecure about my ability to tank a dungeon.

I'd like to know, from this experience, how hard will I find tanking a normal dungeon (there is absolutely no question of me doing a heroic)?

I could arrange to get together with 2 or 3 other guildies, and all we'd be missing is a healer (absolutely no one in our small guild is either healer or tank, which is why I levelled Assiette).

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Re: OT (non-hunter) noob Warrior question

Unread post by Mozag »

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. Warriors don't have self-heals like DKs and Druids, so you are more likely to die on a hard hitting boss than those two. Just keep up your defensive cooldowns and unless your healer is complete crap, you'll be fine. However, from my experience, heroics tends to be vastly easier than normals, because people are generally better geared and the mobs go down faster. In normals it takes longer to kill things, and the healer may be in worse gear too, making it harder for them to keep you up. That's my experience anyway, as both a tank and a healer. :)

Still, unless you're completely ignoring your cooldowns (which I doubt), the healer should be able to heal you, unless they are new to the class or don't know what they are doing!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, I have a SMALL self-heal, which has come in handy a few times. But it's on a really long timer, or relies on my having recently killed something (works great on groups, not so great on a solo mob).

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

What little I remember can be boiled down to just a few things:

1. Keep aggro off your healer.
2. Know boss mechanics so you know when to save and use your big defensive CD.
3. Positioning. Don't aim bosses with cleaves/breathes at the group. Move bosses out of bad when you have melee.
4. Be aware of your surroundings. Mobs will get pulled that you didn't pull. Whether it be a patrol or a hunter's barrage. Gotta be ready to go get aggro real quick (or taunt).
5. Don't turn your back to enemies :)

Are the proving grounds set to 110? You can test in there maybe. The NPCs are dumb, but its a controlled environment you can get used to the basics in.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I tanked my first three dungeons ever today!!!
It was great.
We only died twice (primarily because we were unfamiliar with those boss's particular mechanics... when we went back in they dropped dead in no time).

So thanks for the help and encouragement! It was great.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I just noticed that my Warrior has to do two dungeons for her class campaign. If I recall (and from looking it up, it was all I could find) my hunters and warlocks only had one single dungeon to do.

Are there other classes with different amounts of dungeons required for their class campaigns?

"Step on no pets!"

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Sukurachi wrote:I just noticed that my Warrior has to do two dungeons for her class campaign. If I recall (and from looking it up, it was all I could find) my hunters and warlocks only had one single dungeon to do.

Are there other classes with different amounts of dungeons required for their class campaigns?
Honestly, I've done like 9 or 10 of the class campaigns now and they've all blended together so I can't remember who was what, but I'm pretty sure there are some others that do. A lot of them were pretty varied, I felt some classes had way more order hall missions to do, some had more dungeons, some had more grindy quests. Each one's different.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I feel like my DK has a ton of dungeons to run. Good job tanking, Sukurachi!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

by the way, I'm still waiting for that spirit toucan that farts loops.

"Step on no pets!"